Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which wide-angle lens: Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 10-24?

I have the Pentax 10-17 fisheye, but would like a non-fisheye wide angle, too. Looks like (if I want a 10 mm wide limit) that the choices are the Sigma and Tamron.

I am thinking that the Sigma is probably a better bet, with a smaller zoom range. I have the DA 16-50, so I don't really need coverage for the long end - I am most interested in the wide end.

Who likes which one (and why!)?

05-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Why not try even wider? Sigma 8-16 is really good i think. Just take a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/107938-sigma-8-16mm-club.html
05-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Tamrom , took a lot of photo on vacation, great lens
05-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the DA10-17, and the DA 12-24. I like both for different reasons. The Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 10-24 are very similar. I've used the Sigma on my daughter's Canon 40D and recently tested the Tamron on my camera and find it on par with the Sigma with just a bit more range. If I were having to decide between the Sigma and Tamron, I'd go with the Tamron because that extra 4mm is a nice option.

05-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dont have the Tamron but i like my Sigma

I should really go and process some pictures so i can have new stuff to show
05-17-2011, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have the Sigma 10-20 HSM 3.5, it sits nicely in my lens cabinet and I admire it often, but almost never use it. I am just not a wide angle shooter.
As for results, when I have used it it is excellent, and the build quality is also superb. The HSM is silent, and almost instant in its response. I should sell it, I bought it for vacation last year and have maybe taken 25 shots with it? Selling lenses is like selling your children....you have no use for them really, but like to have them around anyhow, and the Sigma is not going to college and doesn't want a credit card or a cell phone....it just sits on the shelf silently....gotta love that!

Best Regards!
Rupert
05-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have the sigma. Love it. Use it a lot for interiors, rigshots, and engine bays, etc...

Also for shots of intense shuttlecock action:

I wouldn't consider myself a "wide angle" shooter. It actually took me a while to get used to the view you end up with @ 10mm. When I do use it, I seem to get some half-decent stuff. No complaints on the sigma...

Edit: All these shots are on my k200d... I have new stuff from my k-5 but they aren't easily accessible on flickr

Last edited by bergwerk; 05-17-2011 at 07:29 AM.
05-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I have the Pentax 10-17 fisheye, but would like a non-fisheye wide angle, too. Looks like (if I want a 10 mm wide limit) that the choices are the Sigma and Tamron.

I am thinking that the Sigma is probably a better bet, with a smaller zoom range. I have the DA 16-50, so I don't really need coverage for the long end - I am most interested in the wide end.

Who likes which one (and why!)?
Do a search in the lens part of the forum, and you'll find many, many threads on this exact subject. Check out the Sigma 10-20 lens club too for all the info and ammo you need to make your decision. *Spolier alert* The Sigma is way better than the Tamron.
I love my Sigma. It's also unnecessary to get the 3.5 HSM version, the older, cheaper one is just as good if not better.
05-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Forgot to mention....although it is not a Macro lens, the Sigma 10-20 will focus very closely, here about 10-12 inches. I just shot this a few minutes ago, ad it was a quick snap, so it could have been much better .

It will work in a pinch, if necessary.
1/160 ISO 160 18mm @ 3.5....The resolution is the best at around F5 across the entire range, and is very good according to tests I have seen.
Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have the Sigma 10-20 HSM 3.5, it sits nicely in my lens cabinet and I admire it often, but almost never use it. I am just not a wide angle shooter.
As for results, when I have used it it is excellent, and the build quality is also superb. The HSM is silent, and almost instant in its response. I should sell it, I bought it for vacation last year and have maybe taken 25 shots with it? Selling lenses is like selling your children....you have no use for them really, but like to have them around anyhow, and the Sigma is not going to college and doesn't want a credit card or a cell phone....it just sits on the shelf silently....gotta love that!

Best Regards!
Rupert
So do you still have your under used 10-20mm? lol