Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
How do you like that approach, and have you attempted to do any work with surround?

I bought one two weeks ago - my first attempt at using it was a spectacular failure (why do you have to double-tap the Record button?), I'm hoping to have a chance to try again this weekend.

Do you mount it to the camera, or use on a separate stand?
I've done three or four short bits like this, and with the H2 I've tried a boom, a tripod in front of the camera, attached to the tripod leg in front of the camera, on a mic stand on a table (in shot for interview-type situation) and a mic stand on the floor invisible to the camera (behind something). The boom style situation was the best fit for scenes without visible mics. The interview arrangement worked very well. Actually, the only one that didn't work well was hiding the H2 behind something. You could probably make a hot-shoe mount with some isolation (a la isolation mounts for condenser mics) and it would work well, too, but I wouldn't try surround that way. I'd use the 90% mics.

The double-tap on the record button is for 'pre-roll'. I tested it right after I got the H2, but don't remember how to do it. It allows you to leave it "rolling", and it won't fill up your card, but it has a thirty second "lead time" that you can save. So you hit it, it flashes, you check your levels, then leave it. If something happens you want to record, you hit it again and it saves the preceding 30sec (I believe that's how it works).

I did do surround in the boom configuration and it worked very well.

Sync can be problematic, but not too bad, and the overall quality is far superior to what you can get from in-camera methods. It's often nice to use both, though, and use the peaks in the on-camera sound to align and mix in for ambience if you have the mic close to your subjects.

05-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hey,

You should read that : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/131842-thump-sound-video.html#post1462589
By the way, i have no more sound problems with my Pc ! And, i do nothing at all, it disapearred.

And, about the VLC problem, "asking for repair", that appends to me when i have a video stored on my local network or on a slow external hard-drive, it's a problem of speed transfert. K-5 videos are huge, and they need a good transfert rate to be read without problem.
05-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am able to watch the avi files without any problem with Windows 7 media player. For editing, I use a program called Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 and it seems to deal fine with them as well (I use the 64 bit version of it).
05-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The other (and recommended) way is to transcode videos upon import. At least if it wasn't meant for an immediate video project. MJPEG is great for recording (as real time MP4/AVC compression in cameras isn't great yet).
I have just one problem with this recommendation. MP4/AVC compression isn't great yet generally. If you plan to do anything with the videos you shoot keep these as original files.
Because after mp4 encoding you can not go back to quality MotionJPG. Or save these in lossless codec if you have to compress. Storage is rather affordable and becomes more so. So I do not worry about ”huge” file sizes.

05-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
I have just one problem with this recommendation. MP4/AVC compression isn't great yet generally. If you plan to do anything with the videos you shoot keep these as original files.
Because after mp4 encoding you can not go back to quality MotionJPG. Or save these in lossless codec if you have to compress. Storage is rather affordable and becomes more so. So I do not worry about ”huge” file sizes.
MP4/AVC is a great codec if you push up the bitrate high enough. What DSLRs don't do but what you can do in post processing.

If you can afford the disk space to keep the MJPGs, fine. But MP4/AVCs at half size would have no loss in quality. One should keep in mind that MJPG isn't lossless either.
05-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Also, Realplayer can play AVI's as well.
I just threw up in my mouth.
05-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #22

This will make your video files look extra sparkly...

Free Splash Lite - Next Generation Player homepage

05-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One should keep in mind that MJPG isn't lossless either.
It means that each time you do something with it you loose some quality. Just like JPG. I transcode the videos I am working with to ProRes422 and save new file after edit and keep the original. And editing H.264 is not realistic. But for casual use no future editing all this is not necessary.
05-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
editing H.264 is not realistic
I agree. OTOH, most video editing software will import the content into some internal format and then, MP4 vs. MJPEG makes no difference anymore.
05-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Kaffeine plays my K-5 videos fine, no clicking sound or any other issue.