Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #31

Thanks for your advise

Thanks rob7 for your information.
Was thinking to get it a bit cheaper, I am in Washington state, not sure if buying from those sites make sense.
Anyway thanks for answering...

06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sram327 Quote
Thanks rob7 for your information.
Was thinking to get it a bit cheaper, I am in Washington state, not sure if buying from those sites make sense.
Anyway thanks for answering...
Sorry, I guess the short answer should've been try a local that has a web presence to see if they'll match the best price you find.

If I get a better price than Abe's this week, I'll let you know.
06-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I pulled the K5 trigger today. The K7 is on eBay. I just couldn't wait any longer. The Pentax Q pushed me over the edge. If the Q had turned out different, I would have kept the K7 and waited for the K3. I wanted 1080p video and all the other features of the K5 made me do the deed sooner than later.
06-25-2011, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #34
Inactive Account

Congrats LaurenOE, I know you will love that camera, I know I love mine, I have been nothing but pleased, and so far, I have had no problems or issues with it at all.

06-25-2011, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I pulled the K5 trigger today. The K7 is on eBay. I just couldn't wait any longer. The Pentax Q pushed me over the edge. If the Q had turned out different, I would have kept the K7 and waited for the K3. I wanted 1080p video and all the other features of the K5 made me do the deed sooner than later.
Congrats!

Pentax Q is garbage. What is good .... is that it makes you appreciate the real thing.

K-5 is a CULT. I am a true K-5 fanatic and Pentax has won my heart, but I would smash a Q with no regret.
06-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks folks. If you had any idea how much Pentax surrounds me at the moment, you would know that I understand what a cult following is! The K7 and I have been quite a few places and I have loved that body, but the K5 is too polished to pass up given the timing of the replacement to the K5.

My K7 on eBay - you can tell that I *really* don't exactly want to sell it.

A funny thing today is that the K5 is almost $100 MORE today, than when I bought it yesterday?!
06-27-2011, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Congrats LaurenOE! I'm going to finally pull the trigger this week...

... though I'm thinking about trading in my K-7 at the same time I purchase the K-5 instead of selling it separately, with my 18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR... a large we'll known store offered 575 unseen (its in very good condition, probably below typical use, etc...)

What do you guys think? If it was a bit more I'd consider it but at that price I'm on the fence to just keep it. It would though nicely off-set the price of a new K-5 w/ 18-135mm and ease the sticker shock a bit for my wife.

06-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Congrats LaurenOE! I'm going to finally pull the trigger this week...

... though I'm thinking about trading in my K-7 at the same time I purchase the K-5 instead of selling it separately, with my 18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR... a large we'll known store offered 575 unseen (its in very good condition, probably below typical use, etc...)

What do you guys think? If it was a bit more I'd consider it but at that price I'm on the fence to just keep it. It would though nicely off-set the price of a new K-5 w/ 18-135mm and ease the sticker shock a bit for my wife.
LOL. If you read my eBay ad, I have to justify my purchase to my husband! I've got some watchers, so I think it will be "sniped" by someone. I'm kinda hoping no one buys it! I'd love to keep my K7 as a back up! I made the sale "unattractive" by keeping the battery and charger.

$575 with lenses is a bit cheap. You're giving too much away.

I should get my K5 and WR18-135 on Wednesday.

I still don't know why the price went UP at B&H, but it did.

06-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
LOL. If you read my eBay ad, I have to justify my purchase to my husband! I've got some watchers, so I think it will be "sniped" by someone. I'm kinda hoping no one buys it! I'd love to keep my K7 as a back up! I made the sale "unattractive" by keeping the battery and charger.

$575 with lenses is a bit cheap. You're giving too much away.

I should get my K5 and WR18-135 on Wednesday.

I still don't know why the price went UP at B&H, but it did.

The "large well known store" is B&H and they probably jacked up the price so that they can offer an instant "rebate" of $150, so its now effectively $1299. I ran into it before PentaxForums splashed it up on their front page. Abe's has it at $1275 (no WR18-135 in stock) but I might just do it all at B&H for the convenience of getting all set and done.
06-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "large well known store" is B&H and they probably jacked up the price so that they can offer an instant "rebate" of $150, so its now effectively $1299. I ran into it before PentaxForums splashed it up on their front page. Abe's has it at $1275 (no WR18-135 in stock) but I might just do it all at B&H for the convenience of getting all set and done.
Hmm..living in NJ makes it easier to go over to B&H. I only get to go there when I make a trip up there. Still, B&H is getting two lenses for free that they can then sell. I'd see how much B&H would give your for just the body. You're not getting a great deal from B&H on the used stuff, but heck, the fact that they take trades towards new is pretty cool.
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm..living in NJ makes it easier to go over to B&H. I only get to go there when I make a trip up there. Still, B&H is getting two lenses for free that they can then sell. I'd see how much B&H would give your for just the body. You're not getting a great deal from B&H on the used stuff, but heck, the fact that they take trades towards new is pretty cool.
Yikes their on-line trade-in tool lists the K-7 body in excellent condition as $350 but they sell it used with a 18-55WR for $860. Nice cushion for them but not so great for me, plus I lose anything past 135mm until I get a replacement. I was so much closer to buying a couple of hours ago...
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yikes their on-line trade-in tool lists the K-7 body in excellent condition as $350 but they sell it used with a 18-55WR for $860. Nice cushion for them but not so great for me, plus I lose anything past 135mm until I get a replacement. I was so much closer to buying a couple of hours ago...
Looks like the website low-balls you even more than the over-the-phone quote... I'll show up and promise to take store credit over a check if the jack it up a little more.
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. eBay and here are probably some of the best places to sell Pentax gear. Selling here, you're pretty much assured that your stuff is going to a caring Pentaxian who understands the value. If my body doesn't sell (that sounds funny eh?) on eBay it will be on here within a week or so.
06-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Done! Went with B&H 'cause they had both the K-5 and 18-135mm WR in stock. Kept my old equipment though, just couldn't part with it at that price. Guess I'll have a very good back up for a while. Should be here Wednesday, seems optimistic of them but I'll give them a benefit of a doubt.
06-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Okay, here I am beginning to get impatient myself. I've been waiting for the price of a K-5 body to drop below $1000 - probably at year-end. But I now I'm asking myself: A K-5 body at B&H now, or a DA 21 Limited for my K200D now and the K-5 at maybe Christmas?