Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-5 fix for shutter freeze up.

A few days ago my shutter stuck and quit working. I tried everything but could not fix it.
Drove to Bangkok to the Pentax service center. Which is nothing more than a drop off point for shipment back to Japan?
Anyway, I gave the lady the camera and she looked at it and said she wanted the service guy to look at it. Sip nati ( wait ten minutes which means 30min. - 2 hours... Ahhh..
Finally the service guy comes looks at the camera flip’s it over and knocks the piss out of it. I jumped up and said ( ari ) why. He saw the concern and said ( mai ban ha ) no problem.
Put a lens on the camera and started taking pics... Shot story he said the he has seen many with the same thing. Usually with slow shutter speed shooting and shooting in a burst of 3-10 shots.
The Thais pretty much think the Pentax is a joke here. I was shooting a Thrush today with some friends ( Thai's ) and my shutter froze. I took it off the lens and knocked the piss out of it. Put it back on the camera and finished the shoot no problems. But got some pretty funny looks...
Thought this would get some shooters out of a fix if it happened to them.

05-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not tried that method. Mine locks frequently if the battery is low and only removing the battery releases the shutter immediately. I think that has been most people's solution when it locks. Maybe I will try a drop-kick into the lake next time it happens at an inopportune time. If I didn't like the damned thing so much I would send it off for 6 weeks and a repair but don't think there is a cure....yet.
05-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
now if we could find a solution for when the shutter doesn't want to stop even when not taking pictures I'll be super happy
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yea I have tried your method Lee. Sometimes if I shut if off fast enough it comes back no problem. And some times i try to change battereis. It helped once. Who knows, i just hope it keeps on a working..
Dr. Who.. Love the show....

05-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've had that problem and suspect it occurs when the battery discharge reaches a certain point. Replacing the battery with a freshly charged one seems to do the trick.