Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon 7D vs Pentax K-5: A comparison

Check out our latest review, an in-depth side-by-side comparison of the Canon 7D and Pentax K-5. Comments are welcome!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
bfo

From the comparison: ...."Ergonomics are essentially a draw and, as always, really boil down to the user's preference."....

How then do you get a Ergonomics score of 7 for the 7D vs. 9 for the K-5?
05-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting article.
I was pretty much determined to purchase the 7D last year, but then the K-5 was relased. I'm happy with my decision, the AF is OK now and I'm not really interested in video.
05-31-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
From the comparison: ...."Ergonomics are essentially a draw and, as always, really boil down to the user's preference."....

How then do you get a Ergonomics score of 7 for the 7D vs. 9 for the K-5?
Check the "Body Features / Build Quality" section. I'm pretty sure it's because Canon decided to make a few buttons a bit less accessible (at least that's my understanding).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2011, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You have forgot the WB bracketing in the Pentax.
It is available in Chapter 2,Extended Bracketing.
Best regards,Andy
05-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
In spite of these complaints, there is one thing we do like very much about the 7D's image playback system. When zoomed in on a photo, the camera retains the chosen zoom level and frame position even when you select another shot. This is exceptionally useful for continuous shooting, or situations in which you're shooting the same kind of image over and over (such as model or product photography).
The K-5/K-7 will retain the zoom level and frame position if you use the front wheel to cycle through photos... which is the only way to cycle through photos when zoomed in.
05-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice writeup. I was not surprised to see Pentax declared the winner but the review was pretty balanced and comprehensive.

One minor error: the 7D joystick is actually 8-way, not 4-way. I know a lot of sites blather about it being 4-way (seems like they all got it from the same erronenous source), but it ain't. I have mine sitting here and the AF points can be moved around diagonally without a problem. The manual also states it being 8-way.

05-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Why do you say the 7D retail price is $1,999 ?

Canon USA says its "$1,699"

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D

I'm not a fan of Sigma products, why choose a Sigma lens for testing Canon 7D ?

Here's Canon's current lens system link:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-31-2011 at 04:45 AM.
05-31-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

He explain , they use Sigma lenses because available in Pentax and Canon mount to test image
05-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'm not a fan of Sigma products, why choose a Sigma lens for testing Canon 7D ?
Because you pretty much have to use the same lens for side-by-side image comparisons, otherwise an additional variable is introduced.

The original launch price was $1699, but it seems it's gone up to $1849-1899 (the 9 was a type) due to the situation in Japan.

Adam

05-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #11

I see these comparisons as pretty useless. At the end of the day, it always come down to how does the camera feel in your hand. Every single person is different.
Specifications are specifications, there's nothing too special about them. Really, it comes down to IQ and how does the camera feel in your hands.

The way i see it is, if you don't like the 7D cause it doesn't sit well in your hands, don't buy it. And, same goes for the K-5.

Why would you want to take photos with something you hate holding???????

This whole comparison thing sent me up the wall when i was looking to buy a new camera. I went held a d700, d7000, 60D, 7D, E-5...the only ones that felt good were the 7D and K-5. the IQ and lens quality is better on Pentax...and hey hey...i bought a k-5

When you cut all the crap. It always comes down to the person behind the camera.

(sorry if that sounded a little crass. but all these comparisons are done and dusted...)
05-31-2011, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check the "Body Features / Build Quality" section. I'm pretty sure it's because Canon decided to make a few buttons a bit less accessible (at least that's my understanding).
And for me, having the aperture control on the scroll wheel isn't nearly as easy to use. I'd guess if you grew up on Canon, you don't mind much but the Pentax design of e-dials is superior. Particularly if you use a grip. Having to reach your thumb over their rather large and fat grip to adjust aperture makes grip/portrait orientation clumsy.

It's great to have 1001 cool menus and features, but essentially once the camera is set up the way you want, the 3 most used controls are ISO, aperture and shutter speed. If the aperture control adjustment is awkward (try this thing when shooting manual flash a lot), then the ergonomics are a failure.
05-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can put the aperture control on either wheel on the 7D.
05-31-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's Canon 7D custom functions link

Canon Professional Network - The EOS 7D?s Custom Functions explained

As far as Sigma being same lens in the test, is it the exact same lens used on both K-5 and 7D ?

If one uses use an adaptall mount lens, then I can see the "same lens" comparision.

Or adapt any Pentax lens to 7D, this is do-able with aps-c Canon bodies and an PK-Eos adapter, no cutting required on Pentax lenses.

For this type of comparision, why handicap Canon with a Sigma lens ?

I'd like to see any Canon pro spec'd USM f2.8 zoom compared with the same type of Pentax made lens.

Last observation, Canon 7D did drop to $1,329 at B&H right before the Japan Tsunami.
Without the tragedy 7D would cost same or less than K-5.
People are now paying a premium for Japan made cameras, lenses, etc.

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-31-2011 at 05:49 AM.
05-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Forum Member

An exciting review! I'm very pleased that I upgraded to K5 from K-x. I just love everything about K5, can't live/leave without it. Thanks for this professional proof of K5's strengths.