Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just joined the K-5 club

Yep, I did it. Even if I do find that the body has been designed by someone with much, much smaller hands than I and that rubber doors belong on $200 P&S cameras, I was attracted to the capabilities of it over my K10D.

Just waiting for my battery to charge up (would have been nice if they carried the same battery over from the K10D/K20D) and then I'll get to play with it!

06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club. If you like your camera's a bit bigger adding a battery grip to the K-5 does help!
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. It's more the width that is the issue. Ergonomics of the K10D was much better, IMO.
06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having the K20D then going to the K-5 I found the camera smaller as well but soon got used to it and in now fits comfortably in my hands. BTW Welcome to the K-5 family!

06-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good move.
I agree that the K20D had great ergonomics, but it didn't take long for my hands to fit snug onto the K-5. Enjoy the camera.
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My nose hits the pop-up flash. How did I miss that one in the store trying it out?
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I found it odd feeling for the first bit but quickly adjusted to how much slimmer it feels than the K20D which balances out well with how much lighter it feels.

06-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, so in portrait orientation the bridge of my nose hits the built in pop-up flash, and in landscape orientation my forehead bangs into the AF540FGZ.

In 2007 when I got my K10D, I originally went to the store looking for a Canon. It was the ergonomics of the K10D that instantly sold me on Pentax. I hate to say it, but if the K10D was as awkward and fiddly as the K-5, I probably would have bought the Canon I initially went to look at.

I'm sure the K-5 will be a great camera and certainly do things better than the K10D (especially low light), but I still think it was a mistake for Pentax to go with a smaller body.
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might find adding the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier will give you just enough space to make it more comfortable to shoot through the viewfinder, and not have to mash your face into the back of the camera just to frame your shot well.
06-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmm, thanks. Might have to add that to the list
06-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What I do like so far over my K10D:

Faster focus, even with the SDM lens
Seemly better exposure
Better dynamic range (was shooting swans earlier and I found it easier to get the details in their feathers)

Fast FPS is great for catching ducks landing on the water. Too bad they only did it when I wasn't looking

Quiet shutter. All the ducks/swans swam away from the guy with the big Canon over to me, maybe his shutter was too loud

Ergonomically the size sucks and I don't like that I have to press and hold the OK button to switch between AF point selection and WB, etc... but I suppose that's the tradeoff for a lighter body.
06-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club!! Ash already pointed you to the eye piece. It helps quite a bit, expecially if you're the type that presses the face against the camera to look through the viewfinder. If the camera size is bothering you, add the grip. IMO, Perfect size with the grip (and I hated the grip on the K10/20).

06-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
What I do like so far over my K10D:

Faster focus, even with the SDM lens
Seemly better exposure
Better dynamic range (was shooting swans earlier and I found it easier to get the details in their feathers)

Fast FPS is great for catching ducks landing on the water. Too bad they only did it when I wasn't looking

Quiet shutter. All the ducks/swans swam away from the guy with the big Canon over to me, maybe his shutter was too loud

Ergonomically the size sucks and I don't like that I have to press and hold the OK button to switch between AF point selection and WB, etc... but I suppose that's the tradeoff for a lighter body.
K10D/K20D's grip was smaller and less comfortable in terms of depth. If you want a taller grip, you can add the bottom grip attachment.
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
CDW
Site Supporter

Likewise, also a 'rejoined' club member here. I shot Pentax 645 and 67 film bodies for years, then when digital rolled along I switched back to Canon. But wanting something more akin to the look I achieved with medium and large format film, (without retreating to film) after spending some time using a friends 645D, I decided to sell my Canon system, bite the bullet and order a 645D and a K-5. My thought was to use the K-5 as my 'go to' body for more casual work and use the 645D primarily for landscapes and nature.

Well, the K-5 arrived yesterday and my 16-45 F4 today. I just went out and did a few test shots, downloaded them in Light Room. I have to say, I'm stunned. The colors and saturation are dead on. No saturation increase, no tweaking other than some level adjustments and very minor sharpening. I purposely underexposed about a half stop or so to improve shadow detail.

The results are better than I dared hope. I won't miss my 5D2 at all! Here are few decidedly none-art shots taken in my yard with afternoon sun. I can hardly wait for the 645D to arrive. I think I'll have a real Dynamic Duo.
Attached Images