Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #1

new K5 some other sound(not "clunk").

First of all, hallo everyone, this is my first post here as I just got my K5 /18-55 yesterday. Love the body. then comes the worry.

first thing I notice is the "clunk" sound when I flip the camera around. like most of guys here, I got worried. thats how I end up here. then I found the sticky said its normal, I was relief.

then comes the second noise. when I first turn on the camera, its all silent. then I press the "LV" bottom on the camera, as soon as the LED screen turn the info screen to the live view screen, I immediately heard some kind of continues static sound come from inside of the body. light, but definitely noticeable. as soon as I switch it back to info mode, the camera go back to silence.
So, is that sound normal as well? This is my first DSLR camera. so I cant compare. and brief look thru the forum didnt get me the answer.

Maybe I am asking the repeative question, but do your guys K5 does the same thing?

06-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I think that is the Shake Reduction at work. Noise is louder when you move the camera.
06-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That normal, its just the SR working.
06-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
you guys are fast^^ thanks guys.

06-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
wait, so SR only works when the led in live view mode? it doesnot work when you shoot a picture thru view finder only?
06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

SR is constantly working whenever the mirror is up.

Even when you turn SR off (for tripod use) the SR is still actually working to hold the sensor still since it floats.
06-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

Original Poster

if SR is constantly working, how come it only makes that static sound when I press the LV button?
I am missing something here...

06-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
SR is constantly working whenever the mirror is up.

Even when you turn SR off (for tripod use) the SR is still actually working to hold the sensor still since it floats.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk5 Quote

if SR is constantly working, how come it only makes that static sound when I press the LV button?
I am missing something here...
I think you are missing something. I have bolded the appropriate text.

Steve
06-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
haha, I guess that makes me newbie of the newbie. joke of the day
now all I need is to find out what does it mean by mirror is up.

still, thanks all for the answers^^
06-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You'll also hear it rather noticeably and often if you take video with SR on.
06-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
yep, yep.

learned something new today.

thanks guys!
06-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh, I missed this.
When the mirror is up, you'll notice that the viewfinder is black. This occurs when you take a shot, when you use Live View, when you use the self-timer feature, when you tell the mirror to go up for sensor cleaning (not relevant to this issue), and when you are recording video.
06-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

We need a sticky thread stating:

Don't worry about any noises your camera make. If it still taking photos, don't bother: it's the SR at work and it's not broken.
06-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
We need a sticky thread stating:

Don't worry about any noises your camera make. If it still taking photos, don't bother: it's the SR at work and it's not broken.
I have to disagree. If your camera is making the "double mirror slap" sounds - prepare yourself to send it off soon (mine died, the sudden death of a 4 month old k5 was preceded by double mirror slap getting more frequent over a course of some weeks)
06-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
haha, I guess that makes me newbie of the newbie. joke of the day

still, thanks all for the answers^^
SR and similar features from other brands are actually pretty energy-intensive functions. For that reason your camera will not engage SR until it's necessary to stabilize the sensor or to cancel out camera shake. As explained, this does not happen until the mirror locks up -- inside your camera in front of the sensor is a mirror which when down sends the image transmitted through your lens up into the prism and out through the viewfinder. In order to take a picture (or engage Live View on the LCD screen), the mirror has to get out of the way, and when it flips up SR turns on. When you turn on Live View the first thing you hear is the mirror slapping out of the way and then the continuous white noise is the SR, as others have mentioned.

I had an old point and shoot from Canon with image stabilization, and I remember the IS was constantly on. Naturally the battery life was atrocious.