Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Did i get a used or refurb K5?

I recently purchased a K5, working flawlessly so far. But the frame count when I received it was over 400 if my interpretation of the file numbering is correct, reading IPG0400+. Also, a card packed with the camera stated it was not a warranty card but a Serial Number Card, advising to store it. The card was cleanly cut at the top with perforations at the bottom as if something it been torn from the card, such as owner's name, address, etc.

The 16-45mm lens that I purchased also is a bit suspect. Although it seems to perform as expected, no focus, sharpness issues, the lens cap was scuffed with oily marks as if a greasy hand had replaced it on the lens before shipment.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

06-05-2011, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I recently purchased a K5, working flawlessly so far. But the frame count when I received it was over 400 if my interpretation of the file numbering is correct, reading IPG0400+. Also, a card packed with the camera stated it was not a warranty card but a Serial Number Card, advising to store it. The card was cleanly cut at the top with perforations at the bottom as if something it been torn from the card, such as owner's name, address, etc.

The 16-45mm lens that I purchased also is a bit suspect. Although it seems to perform as expected, no focus, sharpness issues, the lens cap was scuffed with oily marks as if a greasy hand had replaced it on the lens before shipment.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.
The serial number card is normal, there are no warranty cards anymore. The perforations are also normal. The fact that the images start at 400 also doesn't mean much (could be a function of what was on the card last). You should download PhotoME to check the shutter count if you are concerned. The K-5 bodies should come from the factory with a shutter count of zero.

Not sure what to tell you about the 16-45, but certainly from your description it sounds a bit odd.
06-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! That helps clarify things.
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would check photome to be certain. Sometimes a previously used memory card will make the file name be higher.

06-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

I don't think it's odd for the shutter count to not be at 0 when the camera ships, but 400 might be a little high. Use exiftool (or I guess photome) to check what the real count is.

I've also bought something that's "new" that had like fingerprints or otherwise suspect marks. Did you check the mount to see if it has been mounted before you put it on? I guess as long as it works fine and has no real defects, you would've made it "used" anyway.

And don't buy from this place again?
06-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
I don't think it's odd for the shutter count to not be at 0 when the camera ships, but 400 might be a little high. Use exiftool (or I guess photome) to check what the real count is.
True on the previous Pentax bodies, but starting with the K-5 and K-r the shutter count is reset to zero at the factory before the bodies are sent out. In the past, shutter counts between 100-250 were fairly common on new bodies.
06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So far, the K-5 is more than meeting all my expectations, still getting use to the differences between it and the 5D2. No complaints other than I wish the video was 1080P/30 instead of 25. I hate the flicker on pans as I'm not into the 'film' look at all.

06-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My third K-5, very early SNo. was an obvious refurb and came with 1.03 loaded. Clean with a bit of dust in the VF. Works beautifully and I know it was tested by the OZ distributor before shipping. I'm happy.
06-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In a certain sense, a refurbished camera with that low exp. count would be even better than a new one!
At least, a refurbished one is reassembled, checked, adjusted and fine tuned by hand by a trained technician.
I recall that, at the time, factory refurbished mechanical cameras where even better than new and serial assembled ones, who were build by a line of lesser trained technicians repeating the same 'act' day after day.
For refurbishing, there is a little more time to check several steps and the technician is somewhat controlling himself.
So, good luck with you 'new' K5!

BTW, are you 'coming' from a Canon 5DII?

Last edited by philippe; 06-06-2011 at 05:17 AM.
06-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote

BTW, are you 'coming' from a Canon 5DII?
Yes, a 5D2, L lenses, XSi backup, etc.
06-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Yes, a 5D2, L lenses, XSi backup, etc.
Eh, and did you quit with Canon?
06-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Eh, and did you quit with Canon?
I have sold all of my Canon cameras and lenses.