Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 Performance

Hello everyone, i just had few questions regarding the K-5. I do not own it yet and have not tried it out.. My questions are, i am coming from K-7, how better, or improved is the A/F compared to K-7, second, how better is it in low light, and the accuracy in lower light as compared to the K-5. These are series questions, i want to be sure that when i am not in natural light, at home, or in a building, that the A/F will not hunt so much as it did with my K-7. Please let me know, i would honestly appreciate it, these are my deciding factors to buy or not to buy the K-5. Is there really a difference with A/F and ISO performance worth getting the K-5. Please let me know. Thank you! -A.M.

06-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just received my K-5 on Friday. Prior to that, I had been using the K7 for a year and a half.

I can't give you a difinitive answer on the focus speed, but after updating the firmware to v1.03 it seemed to be much more responsive than the K7.

What blew my mind was the high ISO performance. DO NOT WORRY about high ISO! I still can't get over how well it works!

I think that if you liked the K7 you will love the K5!!
06-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF will be slightly faster and better at tracking moving subjects in AF-C mode.
Low light AF is as accurate as any other Pentax dSLR, but the difference between the K-7 and K-5 will be only marginally noticeable. The factor that helps both cameras focus in low light is the LED light AF assist feature. Without this, the K-5 does somewhat better but will still hunt under challenging conditions.

Your biggest gains going from the K-7 to the K-5 is high ISO performance. Images from the K-5 at ISO 6400 have been considered as clean as those from the K-7 at ISO 1600. Even ISO 12,800 images are quite usable and ISO 25,600+ is adequate for web photo posting.
06-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. I honestly don't want to leave Pentax. Body, button layout, weather sealing, magnesium body are one of the reasons i bought it. I just don't like the A/F performaced compared to say, Nikon, i tried out a friends nikon for a while, and all the things i was looking to be improved in my k-7 seem to be found in the nikon (d90). I don't know, maybe i will stick with Pentax, or wait for new body to purchase. Thank you again for all of your responses, it is much appreciated!

06-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

K-5 Performance

I have two K-5s and one of those awful DA*50-135 lenses and its just impossible. You can see in the attached picture. Just because I was panning the camera and focused on the running dog, there is simply no excuse for the grass to be blurred! And another thing, you see the far string of spittle on the dogs mouth? It just isn't sharp. I suppose I'll have to just sell everything and go buy Canon or Nikon which have the secret "Great Picture" button.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-31-2011 at 11:06 PM.
06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
You need a sarcasm smiley.

06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You almost got me there Brooke.
To the OP - it's up to you what system you invest into.
But the K-5 has been shown time and time again capable of focusing under quite difficult conditions quite effectively.

06-06-2011, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Brooke Meyer

Couldn't resist

I keep noticing that every time I make a photograph that isn't satisfactory, I'm the cause. Experience, practice, experimentation and study has improved my work more than upgrading camera bodies. The K-5 is like a new film with higher ISO & DR. In my case, I have a real need for that with ballet. I shoot with 2 K-5 bodies and I kept a K20 for backup. My lenses haven't changed in 2 years.

Its understandable people are nervous about knowing what the right thing to do is. Cameras have gotten very good regardless of brand. Like all tools, I'd recommend the best you can afford but if you don't plan to really learn how to use them, its pointless. Friends in my local club produce beautiful work with other brands of gear but the ones who are consistent have invested the time to learn.
06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, sarcasm the only true form of humor and acid sarcasm is for the connoisseur !

Greetings
06-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Brooke, i appreciate the help. I had a K-7 for over a year, tried to use it and learn about it as much as possible, although i'd say i've learnt and improve on my photographic abilities. I feel that you can only do so much, which from there on it's up to the K-7. I am not saying Pentax is bad or anything, but honestly if a, 3, 4 year older, nikon, or canon can outperform a top Pentax camera in terms of A/F, with D* lens, then i don't know what to say..
06-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Banned

Brooke that is just a stupid dog, the disc is going the other direction and the dog mist it completely!

Great shot!
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
I am not saying Pentax is bad or anything, but honestly if a, 3, 4 year older, nikon, or canon can outperform a top Pentax camera in terms of A/F, with D* lens, then i don't know what to say..
Ditch Pentax and buy a Nikon D90 or older Canon.
06-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

"A.M.92" --- Since no money has left your pocket and you have a K7 you might want to rent/borrow a D90 or whatever and spend some more time with it. What's the rush??

The only brand/model that counts is the one your happy with. If you find one that IQ meets your expectations and good results come more consistently for you --do it---

Last edited by jcp5; 06-08-2011 at 08:24 AM.
06-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I have two K-5s and one of those awful DA*50-135 lenses and its just impossible. You can see in the attached picture. Just because I was panning the camera and focused on the running dog, there is simply no excuse for the grass to be blurred! And another thing, you see the far string of spittle on the dogs mouth? It just isn't sharp. I suppose I'll have to just sell everything and go buy Canon or Nikon which have the secret "Great Picture" button.
Dude, this is very skillful work. You would have done well with any camera.

cheers,

Abhi
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

DA*50-135? Bah! You need to use the DA18-250 superzoom. Everyone knows you have to have a superzoom to take great pictures!