Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That's annoying. I've had el-cheapo camcorders that don't do that.

My primary concern is that I don't want to buy a microphone at the moment, but I want to rule out it being a problem with the camera before my return period is up.

It sounds like I am the only one having this problem making me think it is a defective camera. I guess I should try a faster SD card too.

06-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do think it is defective. My K5 doesn't do that (although I get plenty of wind noise, even with just a light breeze blowing).
06-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do think it is defective. My K5 doesn't do that (although I get plenty of wind noise, even with just a light breeze blowing).
What memory cards are you using?
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Crap, looks like I only had 15 days to return/exchange it. I wonder how many weeks this 18 day old camera will sit at Pentax getting fixed.

06-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #20

your k-5 is probably defective
I would just advise to check it with another SD as mentioned.
Another thing you could try is avoid the wind noise with a piece of tissue or something, and see if it has any link with the static noise ( the wind noise could generate high level peaks )
do you have the static noise if you record in a silent room ?
If yes, even with another card, no additionnal grip, flash, anything, and original full battery, then ->warranty return
06-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just tried it again inside at home, quiet room like the first time I discovered the problem. No static. (Class 4 card). Popped in a different CL4 card, no static. Popped in a new CL6 card, no static.

I can still hear the SR mechanism working in the recorded audio but that's to be expected since the mic and SR is all mounted in the same body. The static is definately NOT the SR sound.

Very strange.
06-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #22

peaks?

So it may be related to peak levels which would not trigger the internal limiter ( agc?)
when a analog to digital converter has to convert signals higher that the maximum, it is supposed to create such "pop/clic"
Could you try in your quiet room to blow on the mic hole and see if you get the wind sound associated with static noise.
If yes, it would confirm a link with high level sounds, maybe there is something inside your k-5 like a mic filter which is not correctly in front of the mic itself.
In any case the internal limiter should avoid that, I've checked some of my vids while i was running with the K-5 , I have some wind sound, but no static noise.

10-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #23

Codec

THIS IS NOT ANY HW ISSUE, it is just software codec issue. When file from camera is untouched, it's perfectly OK with clean sound.
But when I try to convert it to any other format (or upload via youtube for example), it becomes to click every second. But if I run it through win movie maker for example, then there is no problem with sound even in converted video. Problem is, that we need to find right SW/codec/format to convert it.. nothing else.

Stop talking about SR mechanism or interference as it is completely useless non-sense.
10-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #24

Solution

Just use for example MP4Cam2AVI_2.93 - it will align soundtrack and then its OK.
10-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #25

level ?

you've just spawned a 4 monthes old thread..

I your read my last post, about peak levels, and consider limiting the sound level in software that generates clics, it would help you to know if it's a codec issue or just a sampling issue ( when you convert to another codec, sound is eventually resampled , fos ome reasons it is posible yor source sound peaks just to 0db, and some audio codec couldn't handle it).
Maybe Windows movie maker has an automated feature of sound limiting/compression tht avoids the problem, don't know.
There may also be something related to the resampling caused by 32Khz sources->44/48 encoding ( K-5 embedded audio is 32khz mono).

On another point of view, I ve bought a zoom h1 external recorder with mics to record quality sound.I've a flash hot shoe mount, if i put the h1 directly on the shoe mount, I hear a lot of noise coming from the SR (and I confrm it's not static pops, it's a low frequency sound).I've had to make an adapter with suspension mount so SR noise is not transmitted to the recorder.
10-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
THIS IS NOT ANY HW ISSUE, it is just software codec issue. When file from camera is untouched, it's perfectly OK with clean sound.
I don't know about that. I've had issues with files right out of the camera. Even playing it back on the camera reveals clicks/static.
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #27

different issues

I believe you guys have different issues.
Both of them imho are related to sound level peaks.
when it clics directly on the k-5, I would think of automatic gain control too slow to prevent unwanted noise (like wind) to be limited (my advise would be a simple test of blowing in front of the mic hole and see what happens).

When it makes noises once encoded, depending on the encoding software, I would tend to think it's also due to high levels that aren't handled correctly, a normalize on sound should solve this issue ( lower level also, but would loose dynamics).

Anyway, the internal mic sound is not intended to be used for accurate sound recording, like any DSLR , image is pretty good but sound is crap.

Look at all the guys who make indie movies, or documentary with 5Ds or 7Ds, they never use internal mic, they have at least an external mic plugged in, but most of the time they use external recorders then sync back image and video, using the intenal mic sound as a sync reference.
10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by biboun Quote
I believe you guys have different issues.
Both of them imho are related to sound level peaks.
You're probably right about the different issues aspect of this problem, but they aren't both related to sound peaks. My vid files will play in Media Player and Quick Time fine, but in other VLC/ffmpeg type front ended soft players I do get regular static clicks throughout the length of the file, not altered by recorded sound levels in any way; a recording with next to no amplitude will click away in exactly the same manner as recordings with high sound levels. There is definitely a mismatch somewhere in the way the recorded audio is indexed and how that is interpreted by some playback devices. Converting to a different format often doesn't help as many convertors use VLC player or the like to decode the source file, embedding the clicks in the new format. I'm guessing Mac peole are less affected by this than PC users, as they will probably be using Quick Time in most processes.
The MP42AVI convertor mentioned above, is one of the few Windows based convertors that works and it works very well. If you don't want to encode the file to a compressed avi format, you can simply pass it through it's encoder but check the don't encode options for both video and audio. This then leaves your original file alone, other than fixing the audio by some reindexing jiggerypokery. It works well for me, in fact I usually get it to batch encode files into HD Divx avis which is good enough quality for my needs.
10-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #29

OK, then it's codec related or your computer has limited cpu power to read such files ( full HD files are preatty heavy to read).
It could also be a bitpack problem as the software you use to repackage the file doesn't reencode but jst rearranges the way file is written.

rgds
10-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by biboun Quote
OK, then it's codec related or your computer has limited cpu power to read such files ( full HD files are preatty heavy to read).
It could also be a bitpack problem as the software you use to repackage the file doesn't reencode but jst rearranges the way file is written.

rgds
Believe me when I say the problem I describe isn't related to cpu ability. I work in a video production facility that handles HD video in all shapes, sizes and flavours. The machines used are more than adequate for the smooth handling of any kind of HD video. We use Premiere Pro CS5 mainly for editing (being PC based) and it is a pain Pro doesn't support MJPEG compression (it did years ago), though sometimes it can be coaxed to work with that codec but in a very buggy way. Just to rub salt in the wound, try sticking the avi in CS5's Media Encoder and it actually breaks the original file! Never seen that before.
To be honest I'm not entirely sure what causes the problem, I've installed Morgan's MJPEG codec to see if that cures it but to no effect; there is something quirky how the audio is packed and the ability of different softwares to decode it. Still, no biggie as there are decent workarounds as mentioned.
Mac users are unlikely to see (hear) this problem I expect, due to the environment they will be using the files in. PC users however, have much more scope for unexpected weirdness due to the open source nature of a lot of stuff they will be using. But that's a cross us multi-media PC types have to bare unfortunately!