Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I know I'm in the minority, but most of the time I prefer the K-5 without the grip. It's only really with the DA*60-250 or DA*300 that I prefer the body with the grip. Just a personal preference I suppose.

06-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #32

Any kind soul who would want to photograph his/hers K-5 with the battery grip but with no lens mounted from the front and the side ?
I would really appreciate it !
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if i'm shooting heavier lenses (fast zooms, my DA14) then with the grip, otherwise with primes i shoot without most of the time. (this is on the K7, but in reality it holds true for either)
this is pretty much the same as when i use my k10 as well
06-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

No.

I bought into Pentax for small size and small lenses. Batteries last a long time. And a second battery is much lighter to lug around. The only time I wondered whether to get one was on a foriegn trip with the voltage being different. But converters are available to charge the batteries.

Plus I have small hands...

06-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
No.

I bought into Pentax for small size and small lenses. Batteries last a long time. And a second battery is much lighter to lug around. The only time I wondered whether to get one was on a foriegn trip with the voltage being different. But converters are available to charge the batteries.

Read on the back of your charger. Mine says 50 - 60 Hz, 100 -240 V. Are there any countries that falls out of that range? I have not heard of any, although I can of course not be 100% sure. I think America is pretty much on the low side with 110 V, and Europe on the high side with 230 V. Some countries have 240 V, I think. I haven't heard of any country using anything else than 60 Hz (America) or 50 Hz (Europe). Btw, 50 or 60 Hz refers to the frequency, in other words how fast the alternating current is alternating.
06-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #36
Forum Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114977-pentax-k-5-offi...nounced-2.html

Scroll down for a nice and big picture of the K-5 with the grip. It is easy to see the border between grip and camera, and hence how much difference the grip makes size-wise. A more general tip is to just google for it, and then click on the link for pictures that is always there when you do a google search.

As a side note - I used to use my Panasonic LX-3 with a 30-year old Osram 52 BC studio flash. The flash was bigger than the camera (which in turn is much smaller than a K-5), and I used to hold the flash with my left hand. So the flash became the grip .

And finally a footnote to the side note: Such old flashes can have very high sync voltages, and can hence damage modern cameras if a protective adapter is not used. I only found this out after using the flash with my LX-3 for two years, so I now consider that particular combination safe, but I would not dare try connecting it to my K-5 without an adapter. It could work, but if it doesn't, it would be expensive... And the K-5 manual specifically recommends against it.
06-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjb981 Quote
Read on the back of your charger. Mine says 50 - 60 Hz, 100 -240 V. Are there any countries that falls out of that range? I have not heard of any, although I can of course not be 100% sure. I think America is pretty much on the low side with 110 V, and Europe on the high side with 230 V. Some countries have 240 V, I think. I haven't heard of any country using anything else than 60 Hz (America) or 50 Hz (Europe). Btw, 50 or 60 Hz refers to the frequency, in other words how fast the alternating current is alternating.
I was in a country with 240 V using a charger for the kids game thing that was rated upto 240 v. The thing started smoking and almost caught on fire. Apparently it is common in some countries for things to fluctuate wildly. Ever since I always use a converter to 110 V that is connected to a voltage stabilizer. Maybe it was a fluke...

06-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #38
Forum Member

I was in a country with 240 V using a charger for the kids game thing that was rated upto 240 v. The thing started smoking and almost caught on fire. Apparently it is common in some countries for things to fluctuate wildly. Ever since I always use a converter to 110 V that is connected to a voltage stabilizer. Maybe it was a fluke...
Well, in that case I can see why you are extra cautious.
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I don't have the grip yet, but I will soon.
My last camera was a Nikon D90 and it fit my hands perfectly.
The K-5 is a bit too small for my hands. Of course I have giant paws so to each his own.
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Want to look like a pro?
Then get the grip.

Want the K-5 to look and feel amazing?
Then get the grip.

Want to go on extended shoots?
Then get the grip.

Serious about portrait framing?
Then get the grip.

Want a secondary power source?
Then get the grip.

Couple of ideas that jumped out at me

Absolute right.
My K-5 is never without grip.....only 20 seconds for batterychange
06-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

You cannot judge whether a grip suits you or not based upon the testimony of others. It's entirely subjective.

I bought a grip for my K20D and used it for a while. I realised I wasn't that excited by it. It didn't add anything to the photography experience. I never made use of the portrait oritentation controls and I always keep a few spare batteries in my bumbag anyway.

When I upgraded to my K-5s I didn't buy a grip for them.

if you are unsure about a grip then my advice is to buy one and try it out. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't add anything to your technique then sell it.

An individual thing.
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #42
Veteran Member

No.

indeed.

I get over 2000 pics per battery on my K-5s. And that's both Pentax and 3rd party batteries
06-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Want to look like a pro?
Then get the grip.

Want the K-5 to look and feel amazing?
Then get the grip.

Want to go on extended shoots?
Then get the grip.

Serious about portrait framing?
Then get the grip.

Want a secondary power source?
Then get the grip.

Couple of ideas that jumped out at me

That's a very amusing post and a good satirical poke at Grip Evangelists. - nice
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Karlo Quote
Any kind soul who would want to photograph his/hers K-5 with the battery grip but with no lens mounted from the front and the side ?
I would really appreciate it !
Here's a comparison between a gripped (third-party grip) K-5 and ungripped K-7; or was it the other way around, the bodies are virtually identical anyway

06-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

My grip is on at all times as well. Better to hold (I have big hands) less worry about battery power, and in my opinion gives me better balance.