Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the only cure a super zoom ? Never to be taken off lol

05-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Does anyone have a good field repair for losing the button? I take it if the button can be recovered, it still works, perhaps if taped onto the camera. But I was wondering if there's some common household item that fit particularly well in place of the button, and could perhaps be secured semi-permanently with tape? It would be nice to have some appropriate items to keep with the camera, but it would be hard to know exactly what fits until the button actually falls off and provides access to the parts underneath.

Paul
05-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It would be nice to have some appropriate items to keep with the camera
I'm thinking that too. Does anyone know the exact diameter of the hole the lens release button fits into? Maybe I could keep a nail or steel pin of about that size handy in the camera bag.
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Dammit! my $%^ button fell off today! Who knows when or where it happened. It is GONE!
on top of that, i was out in the field and could not find anything small enough to fit in there so i ended up shooting the whole outing with the 70-200.
Ouch, not good to hear Hope you get yours back repaired quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
Now I got paranoid, and congruent with my "black tape over every label" project, I stuck a inch long strip of tape from the SR logo around the curves and to the release button.
I am thinking this long tape will have more (and hopefully enough) tack to hold the button if it decides to fly off. I didn't see a way of sticking just a little tape to cover the button and have enough hold on the sides.
I've started my "black tape over every label" project (those Pentax labels on bodies and lenses are loud!) and am going to tape my lens button on too. Seems to be happening too often to others.

05-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ive not seen one off.... but maybe just black silicone as used in kitchen and bathrooms could work ? It would stick and protect, its black, its weather resistant etc and drys like rubber ! Just a thought
05-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #201
Forum Member

Any of these fixes just mean that you still have the button and can change lenses - nice I know, but it will still will need to go in for repair. I can't imagine that it is good to have that cir-clip floating around inside your camera body. I think I would want to stop using my K-5 until it was fixed anyway to avoid other damage. Luckily mine is still on there, but then it is less than one year old.
05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimDickinson Quote
Any of these fixes just mean that you still have the button and can change lenses - nice I know, but it will still will need to go in for repair. I can't imagine that it is good to have that cir-clip floating around inside your camera body. I think I would want to stop using my K-5 until it was fixed anyway to avoid other damage. Luckily mine is still on there, but then it is less than one year old.
I agree--I wouldn't want to compromise the weather sealing.

06-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #203

Hey just wanted to say that mine fell off shortly after I got a second lens so it was defective from beginning and just took a few uses to come off. After putting off sending in my camera for a long time I finally did it and I was so impressed with fast I got the camera back. It was back in 2 weeks and I live in Italy (military) so that adds about 4 or 5 days to the mail time. They cleaned it for me and updated the firmware I was so impressed and happy I should have sent it in a long time ago. I love Pentax
06-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh good--a happy camper for a change ;~)
09-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine fell off the other week. Search another thread on this site and found someone who called Pentax and got a replacement button sent out for free. I did the same. Just got the button today, followed the instructions on that other thread for a DIY repair, and now it seems to work fine. Still thinking about adding some gaffer tape over the button for the future.

By the way, the end of a paper clip works perfectly to activate the lens release in the absence of the button.

Agree completely, though, that the design seems very poor. There should be no way that that button comes off.
09-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
now it seems to work fine.
Good. The good news is that the fix to my camera has stayed fixed (so far.)
09-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #207
Veteran Member

CRIS just gave me an estimate of $130 for the button and SD card slot. I'm trying to get it done under my extended three-year warranty without having to ship everything back-n-forth. If that doesn't work out, I'll call Pentax for a button.