Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ah,it's nice to be back on topic.

QuoteOriginally posted by sasg Quote
not cost me anything except that I was without camera for a month.
Yeah, that's the rub: hard enough with any camera but especially this one. It tends to happen just when you sdtart thinking, "Oh wow, I really do have the most awesomest dslr ever!"

09-30-2011, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #122
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
-Class A-
Simply ad that member to your 'ignore' list as I have, for the exact reasons mentionned above...
I did the same thing for the very same reason. bloody annoying his posts are. and I could never quite figure to wether he truly knows his intentional posts annoy people and enjoys it and doesn’t care what people think or he is just genuinely ignorant of the fact that his constant incessant need to make every post he makes an opportunity to embed a photograph, is completely annoying. it isn’t even really an issue with the subject matter of the photographs as it is a matter of completely unneeded injections of photographs that do indeed have to be navigated around in order to keep up with the thread discussion. also, a clear lack of simple taste with such poor forum manners. photographs being placed where they serve no purpose to the discussion at hand, and if thats not enough, they are accompanied by poor jokes often in bad taste themselves.

^^sorry for getting back off topic!
09-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
back off topic!
%*$#^(&!
10-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #124
Veteran Member

I received my camera back from C.R.I.S. today 09/29, I sent it to them just before the Labor Day. So currently the turnaround time is about 4 weeks. The Pentax kindly paid for the shipping so it did not cost me anything except that I was without camera for a month. The release button feels a little bit stiff in comparison with K10D but I cannot tell the difference before and after the repair...

<snip the squirrel debate>.
Mine has been gone only 4 days I got a while to wait but hopping for a 4 week turn around - got another trip planned later October - don't like my chances but I can hope. Did they do anything else on the repair ? A cleaning perhaps ? No big deal just figured since they have it , hope they give it the once over.

10-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #125

Work done:
REPLACED LENS RELEASE BUTTON AND RELATED PARTS
UPDATED FIRMWARE
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
10-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Work done:
REPLACED LENS RELEASE BUTTON AND RELATED PARTS
UPDATED FIRMWARE
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
Good to know thanks - tick tock .....it's been 4.2 days now ......
10-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #127

My K5 is on it's way back from CRIS along with my DA 12-24. It was in for more then a couple issues. Here is how the Lens Release Button repair was reported:

"REPLACED AND MODFIED LENS RELEASE BUTTON"

10-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
My K5 is on it's way back from CRIS along with my DA 12-24. It was in for more then a couple issues. Here is how the Lens Release Button repair was reported:

"REPLACED AND MODFIED LENS RELEASE BUTTON"
How long was it gone in total?

And of course, hope all is well once it's back in your hands!
10-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #129
Inactive Account

Hi: I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. I had decided to buy a k5 some time back and have been reading reviews etc, on dpreview and amazon. After reading all this thread and the others regarding pentax k5 problems I am getting very reluctant to buy such a highly regarded camera with so many users reporting problems. I am kind of exhausted reading up on the k5 and therefore have not put much time into looking at nikon d7000 and some canons but I don't seem to see such a proliferation of complaints on the forums concerning these cameras. I do not know much at all about photography yet but have to wonder why such enthusiasm for such a buggy camera?
Reading the dpreview on the d7000 and canon7d and k5 all I see with my limited knowledge different is the high iso performance of the k5 and maybe button and menu layout. I am not really ineterested in video performance. In finishing this post I must say I am beginning to wonder why I should buy an expensive camera with the likelyhood of sending it back multiple times for repair.
Any help from some of you experienced k5 users I will appreciate. There must be some of you who don't have such horror stories!
10-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are...

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
There must be some of you who don't have such horror stories!
There are lots of us that have not had any of the issues that others have had. As said before, the complaints are magnified in this format of discussion. It may be true that Pentax has had more quality control issues than Canon or Nikon, but it is difficult to tell for sure. The odds are still strongly in your favor of getting a good unit if you buy from a Pentax authorized dealer. While it may be a hassle to deal with warranty service, the $20USD 2-year (3 years total) extended warranty is decent insurance that you can get your camera fixed or replaced if necessary. I think that like many of us here, I liked the Pentax features over other brands. (Since you have been researching the K-5, you should know the difference in features versus other brands.)

I felt that it was worth the risk since I bought the warranty and have a backup. But I am not trying to convince you to buy Pentax. Is in-body image stabilization, use of inexpensive legacy glass, high ISO perfomance, etc. important to you? If not, there are other brands that will suffice.
10-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
Hi: I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. I had decided to buy a k5 some time back and have been reading reviews etc, on dpreview and amazon. After reading all this thread and the others regarding pentax k5 problems I am getting very reluctant to buy such a highly regarded camera with so many users reporting problems. I am kind of exhausted reading up on the k5 and therefore have not put much time into looking at nikon d7000 and some canons but I don't seem to see such a proliferation of complaints on the forums concerning these cameras. I do not know much at all about photography yet but have to wonder why such enthusiasm for such a buggy camera?
Reading the dpreview on the d7000 and canon7d and k5 all I see with my limited knowledge different is the high iso performance of the k5 and maybe button and menu layout. I am not really ineterested in video performance. In finishing this post I must say I am beginning to wonder why I should buy an expensive camera with the likelyhood of sending it back multiple times for repair.
Any help from some of you experienced k5 users I will appreciate. There must be some of you who don't have such horror stories!

Hi,

I'd suggest a new thread on this so more people will see it, as I have no doubts a fair number of people have checked out of this thread, either read enough, got tired of squirrels or off-topics, bickering, whatever.
If you do a simple fast google search for 'd700 problem' vs 'k-5 problem,' it's around 1.8 million versus 230k hits. I think some reasonably close numbers put nikon and canon at around 40% market share each, Pentax perhaps 5%, so doing the rough math based on those results, I don't see any major difference there. The D7000 has had multiple problems of it's own, as well, and it's always worth remembering that people with a problem are usually far more vocal (and posting far more often) than even if 90% of the users are completely happy...which by itself can often trigger users without problems to either go looking for problems, or to sometimes convince themselves that they have a problem that may not actually be one, for example - lots of people believing dust is actually sensor staining, etc.

I don't feel that I can give an accurate assessment of the K-5 vs other camera problems, really. If taken by itself, it seems that some cameras have been affected by the sensor stains, the lens release button, and the mirror flop issues as the main things to be aware of. While i think the lens release button issue is just really poor, it's not known if this is a QC, problem batch of parts, or other issue, and it's minor (but annoying). The issues may well be constrained to a small number (relatively speaking) of cameras, or some may be likely to occur over time - not knowing for certain which the case is...isn't very comforting, and it would help if Pentax/Ricoh stepped up and addressed them. Meanwhile, for $20, an additional 2 year warrantee is almost free, even if it doesn't reduce the annoyance if needed to be used, and what seems to be less than great turnaround times from CRIS/Pentax - we can hope the turnaround time to improve in the future if Ricoh steps up servicing locations/parts stocking (at least within the US, some places in the EU seem reasonably fast on turnarounds).

You pay your money and take your chances, with nearly any purchase, sadly. At this moment at least, I'm happy that I picked up the k5 as my first DSLR - adding $160 for an SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 and SMC-A 70-210mm f/4.0 has expanded my shooting capabilities at a pretty reasonable price, and I'm liking the K5 quite a bit. I am certainly 'somewhat nervous' about it and if any problems may develop, but will keep monitoring for stains every several hundred pics and not worry about it too much until either a believable statement from Pentax/Ricoh is made, someone has conclusive proof (vs speculation, which we're all apt to engage in) if each problem is indeed something likely to happen to any/most over time vs a bad batch, or until it seems like a truly significant portion of cameras are affected - I'm not certain that can be said at this point. If people reporting issues were a bit better about reporting sn, mfgr date, etc - it might help us out in our own determinations, but not everyone does that, and certainly, it's not always the first thought for someone who does encounter an issue..
10-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have taken about 4500 photo's with my K5 with zero problems. It's an incredible camera IMO, very well thought out and photographer friendly in use.

Regards
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #133

rtpguy ---CRIS received it on 9/22 and shipped back on 9/29. So they had it for 7 business days. Have not got it back yet. Nothing new just
Mirror flop/LR Button/Front E-Dial/ 2 exposures for 1 Shutter button press/ AF Focus Adjust/ Spot on VF Focus screen out of the box. CRIS should be good at all this by now. I am sure they "ironed out" all my K5 problems.

Purchased K5 in March - Serial no. 394*** Manf. date Jan 28, 2011

Last edited by jcp5; 10-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.
10-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #134
Inactive Account

OK People: Maybe I am freaked out by the negative stuff today, I get it about the other comparable cameras having their share of problems. Also pretty ballsey of that guy to post THAT pic of the squirrel.
I will probably settle down and still buy the k5. I have been obsessed by it for at least 6 mos. Thanks for the comments. I am still waiting for a $250 cash back credit card that I applied for to arrive. That will help a lot towards the kit.
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ballsey or not, as far as I am concerned, the squirrel is becoming rather tedious and has just about worn out his welcome. For me at least. I avoid his posts avidly now.