Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
at least you have a local place that is an authorized Pentax dealer
That is true. In theory there are several in the area, but only one actually stocks cameras.

Steve

06-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I also made the jump from K20D to K5, and indeed, the first few days of adjusting to the smaller and different layout took some getting used to. But once the familiarisation was done, I now far prefer the K5. I find it more intuitive, and much easier to use - everything I need in easy reach. In all modes, I find I can make key adjustments of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus mode, and green button quickly and easily without moving the camera from my eye. In fact the K20D, which I loved, now feels clunky in comparison.
I completely agree with the above!!

Ergonomically the K-5 is much better for me. But you get used to things so it did take a while to make the transition.

The quality of my pictures has vastly improved now I use K-5s and for me that says it all.
06-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #18

hmm gotta say i have never tried to grip the left hand side of the camera, i always hold the lens with my left hand - though i do admit i dont have any pancake lenses where that could be challenging

personally always liked the ergonomics of the k7 and k5 but nothing is for everyone
06-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm just shocked they had one in Jessops! Our local branch has no Pentax whatsoever - in fact there is only one shop in Sheffield that sells any Pentax - they told me that they have 'some in Leicester'

Anyway - I had a K10d for ages, until it was broken beyond repair, and I now have a K-7, which is the same exterior as the K-5.

I know what you mean about the space on the left missing - I was a bit thrown when I tried one, but I just hold the K-7 by the lens with my left hand, so the heel of my hand is against the side of the camera. This means my fingers can focus/zoom and my hand holds the camera steady whilst I use my right hand to change settings. When you get used to it, it makes sense and is easy to use.

06-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

I just got my K5 today, upgrading from the K20D. Although I'll reserve judgment until I take it out for some shooting, the K5 feels, as for many people here, a bit puny, but I imagine I'll get used to it. I'm disappointed at the rubberized terminal cover for the USB connector: It feels flimsy and breakable compared to that solid click on the K20D. I also don't see the point of the mode dial lock button -- is it really possible to turn the mode dial accidentally? And since I don't use a strap, the little metal knobs on the camera sides protrude and are worthless to me (I removed the noisy little triangular rings). All are little things I guess... just a matter of getting used to the new body.
06-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I moved from the K20D (well, GX20) to a K-7 recently.
When I just held it, I thought I had just made the biggest mistake.
Then I bolted on the Battery Grip - and all was well with the world again!
IMHO (and especially if you're moving from a K20/10) - get the grip. It's almost a must-have.
06-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starstuff Quote
I'm disappointed at the rubberized terminal cover for the USB connector: It feels flimsy and breakable compared to that solid click on the K20D. I also don't see the point of the mode dial lock button -- is it really possible to turn the mode dial accidentally?
They shouldn't downgrade bits and pieces from one model to the next. The rubber door seems more at home on a $499 starter DSLR than the K-5. I also kind of miss the lift and twist release for the SD door and you're right - the mode dial lock button is kinda goofy.

06-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I also kind of miss the lift and twist release for the SD door
Love the lift and twist. That was one of the features of the K10D that sold me on the notion that it was truly a top shelf item.

Steve
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Love the lift and twist. That was one of the features of the K10D that sold me on the notion that it was truly a top shelf item.

Steve
It wasn't the image quality or features of the K10D that sold me on the Pentax when I originally went in to Future Shop to buy a Canon, it was the build and ergonomics.

Old film cameras with manual wind had the lift and turn crank to wind the film, and I think the lift and turn catch for the battery and SD doors was somewhat reminiscent of the old bodies.

Pentax should be ashamed to have put flappy rubber doors on a $1300 body.
06-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #25
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-5 is my first Pentax, but the first time I picked it up I thought that it fit my hand (not small) perfectly, and was much more comfortable to hold than either the 60D or D7000. And then there was all the other good stuff!
06-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
Forum Member

K5 is indeed small for its class. I've finally tested 1 at a local camera store and I was amazed how it is not THAT much larger than my KX. Comparing with my friend's D90 and a previous test with the D7000, K5 is THE smallest camera of this much calibre.
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also don't see the point of the mode dial lock button -- is it really possible to turn the mode dial accidentally?
I for one had the mode dial on my K10D turn on me without knowing quite a few times, so yes, it is really possible, and I'm grateful for the lock button. There must also be some demand for it in the Canon camp as they offer a locking mode dial on their 5D2/7D cameras as an upgrade for extra cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I also kind of miss the lift and twist release for the SD door...
I kinda miss that too, though I guess with the redesigned body, there was no room for it.
06-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I still prefer the width and feel of my k100d to my k-r. The k-r is just too small.
06-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

. I also don't see the point of the mode dial lock button -- is it really possible to turn the mode dial accidentally? And since I don't use a strap, the little metal knobs on the camera sides protrude and are worthless to me
I had a k-r before I got my k-5 and the mode dial lock is one of my most favorite feature of the k-5!. I have to agree regarding the strap mounts(?) though. I find them really flimsy and loud. I would have much preferred a solild hoop that portrudes out of the body.
06-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I did too - but I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it. It did feel a lot sturdier, but no doubt cost more to make and was less reliable.