Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
With K-7 you can take pictures at hi-speed for ever with setting the camera to jpg and one star quality. This is not possible with K-5. The max is some 105-107 jpg in one minute, it slows down when buffer is full and continous with about 1,3 fps. For RAW it is about 1,25 fps after full buffer with a fast card.
On the K-7, I use JPEG 14 Mp 2 stars quality and I have done over 100 s at 5.2 fps (Hi continuous shooting) with a class 10 card (Sandisk Extreme III).

There must be a bug in the K-5 in-camera software managing the buffer. If the card writing speed is faster than the input into the buffer, there should be no reason for the buffer to be full after 60 s.... At least that is how DMA management works in most computers and high-speed data acquisition systems. I thought that the bug was fixed was fixed with a firmware update, but obviously not.

06-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
On the K-7, I use JPEG 14 Mp 2 stars quality and I have done over 100 s at 5.2 fps (Hi continuous shooting) with a class 10 card (Sandisk Extreme III).

There must be a bug in the K-5 in-camera software managing the buffer. If the card writing speed is faster than the input into the buffer, there should be no reason for the buffer to be full after 60 s.... At least that is how DMA management works in most computers and high-speed data acquisition systems. I thought that the bug was fixed was fixed with a firmware update, but obviously not.
With my K-7 my card couln't keep up with 2 star quality and just being behind a little in speed. I think with PRO cards (wich I now have) or SanDisk extreme III 30MB/s cards it can.

Well with the first firmware the K-5 was faster then after 1.02. I didn't test 1.01. The K-5 now makes (I think) data for a RAW and puts it in the buffer even if you only shoot jpg. Slowing it down because of the 14-bit.