Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New K-5 plus 100mmWR

My K-10 with venerable 100 macro has been a trusty companion for over 5 yrs. (lens for 10 yrs.) producing 1000's of superb raw pictures with Aperture doing the rest.
I've had my new K-5 and 100 mm Macro WR for several days. Wow, what a world of
difference over the K-10 dinosaur. The first things I notice are the light wt. and huge 3 in. screen with all the important (to me) data right there. I love the ease of changing ISO. The difference in auto focus is incredible even with the macro at the closest distance, although I probably will mostly still use manual as it feels right. Ouch, 32 mb raw files--lucky I have two-2 tb hard drives in my Mac Pro coupled to 16 gb of memory. Don't buy 8 gb cards like I was recommended on this forum--too small with only about 241 pictures per. The improved shooting speed and download to the card is super quick. The flash seems much better and stronger. And the list goes on. Love it and not a mistake. Hope none of the past problems arise.

A quick mention of the new 100 mm WR. Very light, compact and a Ferrari compared to my old Chevrolet. Glad I spent the $$$. Off to the jungles of India and Thailand to check out all the WR capabilities of camera and lens.

06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your new camera and lens. Both are a very capable pair!
06-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please post some photos of your trip. It sounds exciting. Would love to experience it through your eyes.
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned from another forum member that the K-5, 100mm macro WR, and onboard flash make an amazing combination for macros needing flash light. I previously spent a fortune on a ring flash (which is admittedly great), and then later discovered that the onboard flash gives almost as good results (just a slight shadow, which if you don't want it, is easily managed with a small reflector). Try it.

06-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john mood Quote
I love the ease of changing ISO.
Then it's a little late to learn that it's just as easy on the K10d, press and hold the OK-button and twirl the front wheel.
06-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome to the club. It's a great combo indeed.

06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've went thru 3 Pentax ring flashes and they are a burden in the forest. Half the time the humidity
and rain screws the pooch. Anyone interested in buying mine, let me know.
The low light capability for the K-5 is great and with the new lens, can be handled by my little
tripod. Happy kamper.

06-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I often just use my AF360FGZ on the hotshoe with a gary fong diffuser and that works pretty well, or have it a little off to the side.
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john mood Quote
My K-10 with venerable 100 macro has been a trusty companion for over 5 yrs. (lens for 10 yrs.) producing 1000's of superb raw pictures with Aperture doing the rest.
I've had my new K-5 and 100 mm Macro WR for several days. Wow, what a world of
difference over the K-10 dinosaur. The first things I notice are the light wt. and huge 3 in. screen with all the important (to me) data right there. I love the ease of changing ISO. The difference in auto focus is incredible even with the macro at the closest distance, although I probably will mostly still use manual as it feels right. Ouch, 32 mb raw files--lucky I have two-2 tb hard drives in my Mac Pro coupled to 16 gb of memory. Don't buy 8 gb cards like I was recommended on this forum--too small with only about 241 pictures per. The improved shooting speed and download to the card is super quick. The flash seems much better and stronger. And the list goes on. Love it and not a mistake. Hope none of the past problems arise.

A quick mention of the new 100 mm WR. Very light, compact and a Ferrari compared to my old Chevrolet. Glad I spent the $$$. Off to the jungles of India and Thailand to check out all the WR capabilities of camera and lens.
I got the DFA 100mm WR last year and used with my K20D. Great shots. Now with my K-5, even better since it deals with low light.
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
a couple k-5/100mmWR shots

I thought I was getting pretty good results with my previous combo, but the difference
is definitely noticeable. The attached pics are of Dillenia philippensis. Love this camera and lens.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo