Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Entry with long Lenses

Hi
I know it is not the right place for this question but I think there is more traffic here which means I might get an answer quicker.

I will be traveling to the USA next month. In Milwaukee I have been invited to a Baseball game, don't know anything about it but that is not the point.

My question:
Will I be allowed to enter the stadium with my camera (K-5) and a long lens. The long lens will be the PENTAX 60-250. I know it's not such a long lens from the optical point of view, BUT it looks like a Rocket Launcher to a lot of people and I do not wish to be frog-marched with my arms bent behind my back and feet dragging behind me by a couple of security gorillas.

On the other hand, I know from similar situations here in Australia that people are prevented to take photos, at the the Australian Tennis Open for example, with long tele lenses unless they have press accreditation. Is this also the case in the USA? If this is so, what are the limitations as far as focal length is concerned?

I also have observed that people have no problem taking smaller looking cameras/lenses with even longer focal lengths than the 250mm into stadia but as soon as someone turns up with a long looking beast of a lens they are being turned away.

What is the situation in your country? (USA)

Greetings

06-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Forum Member

I am from the Milwaukee area and of course you are talking about Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers. I do not have an exact answer for you, but I suspect it is on the Miller Park website somewhere. Another option is to give the ballpark a call.

Now....I can tell you what my experience is. I have personally brought in my K-7 with Pentax DA* 200mm F2.8 with no problem. I know they have a limit for camera size, but that set-up is not in violation.

Best of luck and Go Brewers!

Steve
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #3

I was curious about this and found that you can probably look at the Milwaukee Brewers site to find their rules. If not successful, find the stadium site and look there. I tried this for a few minutes and couldn't find a policy. But doing a google... I found that in some stadia, they have a 5"(inch) rule. On the Brewers'/Miller site, I only found Miller Park Information - Security | brewers.com: ballpark

You could maybe contact the stadium and ask.
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi
Thanks for your feedback. Miller Stadium web site does not have an e-mail address that I could find to ask for details. Googled but could find only general feedback on this matter. Looks like staff at the gates in the USA deal with this matter the same way staff does here. Uninformed and inconsistent. Thanks again,

Greetings