Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 lock-up

I was out shooting bees on butterfly weed this morning with the K-5 and the 18-55 kit lens with a Raynox 150 attached, when the camera locks ups on me completely. It was in the middle of focusing because the red center focus indicator froze as well. I tried the power switch and various buttons and dials with no luck. I eventually pulled out the battery to reset it. It's been just fine before and since. I'm a little concerned, considering it only has about 250 shutter actuations thus far. Running 1.03 firmware. Are other people having this issue?

06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not certain I have this correct so do a little searching on the subject. I've not had a problem but have seen a few others who have experienced lockup when the battery gets Weak. 250 shots shouldn't drain a fully charged battery that much unless you are living in live view but it does happen, apparently.

06-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll check the battery, but I agree that it should have plenty of juice still. Maybe 10 shots with live view and 40 with flash. It's the supplied battery running on its first full charge.
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

I had my first K-5 running v1.03 freeze up once just before I sent it in for repair for that, plus a bad front e-dial, I couldn't set shutter speed, and the string of pearls sensor stain. They sent me back a new K-5 running v1.02. I've been afraid to upgrade because v1.03 seemed to break the OK button reset of AF point to the center and the freeze thing. So far I'm really happy with my second K-5 which is running v1.02. The sensor is clean, it hasn't froze, and the OK button resets the AF point to the center.

I'm not planning on upgrading to v1.03 or v1.10 until someone convinces me that there is something I'm missing and it's safe to do so.

06-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am having the same problem with a full charged battery, switched to a backup battery with no change. When I focus at close objects, within 15 feet or so, the AF is fine. When I then try to focus on a subject at a longer distance, the camera starts to hunt and then goes to a no focus lockup. I have tried 10 separate lens with the same results, shutting the camera off and turning back on seems to reset it. This has just started in the last week or so, other than that, this camera is a dream. I have been reading different articles looking for a simple fix with no results. I guess the best thing is just to send this 3 month old camera back in for repairs. Bob
06-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
I just checked the battery, and it still shows fully charged on the indicator. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope this is an isolated incident, but if I have to send it back and shoot with my Panasonic FZ18 for a few months to get a good camera, then I will.
06-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Yes, I have the same issue on my K-5...

06-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lemonhead Quote
I was out shooting bees on butterfly weed this morning with the K-5 and the 18-55 kit lens with a Raynox 150 attached, when the camera locks ups on me completely. It was in the middle of focusing because the red center focus indicator froze as well. I tried the power switch and various buttons and dials with no luck. I eventually pulled out the battery to reset it. It's been just fine before and since. I'm a little concerned, considering it only has about 250 shutter actuations thus far. Running 1.03 firmware. Are other people having this issue?
There is a recent identical thread already going. Three lock-ups here.
06-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
a recent identical thread already going.
can you post a link to that thread as I can't find it by search.

i also have had this happen. so far only once but the symptom is a single red focus LED on and all controls unresponsive. poweroff didn't power the camera off. removing battery freed up the camera.

recently upgraded to v1.03 which was supposed to speed up some AF situations.

Last edited by johnbishopimages; 06-29-2011 at 09:29 PM.
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

I had this issue only once, since then never again, although I used the battery until it was completely empty. Hope the ghost in my camera will not come back again :-)
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Forum Member

Locked up on me again today.
Was shooting in close with 100mm macro using AF-C and locked up same as other describe.

The last time I did this was before upgrading the firmware.
Hmmmmm
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
Locked up on me again today.
Was shooting in close with 100mm macro using AF-C and locked up same as other describe.

The last time I did this was before upgrading the firmware.
Hmmmmm
I was wondering if it was a firmware issue, apparently not, just an AF issue. I am checking into where I am supposed to send the camera in for repair, it is getting to be a frustrating issue with me. Bob
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

I just posted in another thread, but i'm going to bump this one too because this issue is very annoying for those of us who have it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/174933-k5-lock-out.html#post2011927