Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Slow to view images

Hi,
So I finally joined the club and so far I'm loving it.
There is one thing I find a bit odd though, and that is how long it takes to view my images sometimes. The 1 sec preview is a bit slow also, compared to my k-x. But whats really slow sometimes is just viewing my pictures in playback mode. Sometimes when I press the button it appears almost instant, but sometimes I get a loading bar and hourglass and it takes a looong time! And I haven't been able to determine why it's inconsistent like that? On my k-x they would show up pretty fast.

For the record, I have NO corrections enabled, except for the default noise reduction settings.

06-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like it's taking a while to read your card?

Take a load of pics in the lowest quality setting (2m JPG, 1 star on the k-7) and see if it's quicker.

Bigger files may mean you either have to wait (that's what I do) or get a faster card.
06-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hm yes it seems it will playback a burst of jpg instantly, but a burst of raw is really slow. But once I have viewed them once, it's fast the second time. What causes this? And if it's my card that's slow (it's a class 10 trancend, cheap but should be ok) which one should I get for optimal performance?
06-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disable shadow/highlight correction and slow shutter speed NR and the review time should go back to normal

06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best SD cards are the SanDisk Extreme III cards that are Class 10 (30Mb/sec).
However, even with these cards, the card speed exceeds that of the K-5's write speed, causing that delay in reviewing images right after you've taken a series of burst shots. Once they're dumped onto the card, playback will be instantaneous. So the delay you're concerned about is more a camera limitation, but should also be evident on every other camera you've used.
06-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess it's the huge file size and much larger buffer that's making it feel slower then my k-x. It's moving a lot more data for sure. A bit disappointing still. I will try with a sanDisk card and see if it improves.