Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #31

In my opinion the silver K-5 is a great looking piece of hardware. I really enjoy taking the camera out of my bag, looking at it and making fotos with it. Worth the additional price? For me it was. Bought afterwards also two silver DAs. I like to be different (not better or worse, just different). And I give a holy shit what others think about me and/or my camera.

I paid approx. 1350 Euros in germany (was a good deal, because everywhere else it costed 1499 Euros). $1900 is approx what I paid. If you can afford it and have also in a few month money for better lenses, then buy it. Better lens + silver K5 = optimal :-)

k.

06-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

If it's your hobby and if you can easily afford it, do it. Amazing camera and yes it also makes me smile when I get it out of my bag. In no way a collectors item to me.

I don't really care all that much what others opinions of myself and camera are. If I did, do you think I would have chosen Pentax? Of course, I jest. Some people choose car colours to make a statement, probably more choose because they just like that colour. They're still lousy drivers though

Seriously though, as it's your first DSLR, I would say invest in a couple limiteds and maybe a K-r for that price. You can then always get the inevitable silver version of the K-5's successor. This way, if you decide against this potentially expensive hobby, you can recoup easily. If it has to be a K-5 and you have a budget, then go black and a limited lens.

Either way, enjoy!
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I have both black and Silver K-5 and I wouldn't pay that much for a Silver camera again. On the other hand I only paid 1179 euro for my Silver and 945 euro for Black, so there is nothing to complain about.

If it is your first dslr and you are a nice guy looking carefully after your gear (doesn't sound like me at all) then you can have fun with this camera for the next 5 years. So that is an extra $ 0,38 per day for so much fun, or you just invest those $ 700 into a nice new lens.

With Silver 77mm

With Silver 43mm

If I only owned these two lenses

Just use the camera since it is made for this purpose and have fun.
06-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #34

well, I was debating whether to get the black one or silver one when they were both available, but decided to get a keyboard first (yeah, what was I thinking).

Anyways, I won't pay that much for a silver -- though I would pay the old price -- and just ordered a black k-5. It would look just as good once you dec it out with hello kitty stuff.

07-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #35

Not at that price it is just too much compare to the black k-5. And all you get is a silver body and a glass screen without anti-glare coating.
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by pricyber Quote
And all you get is a silver body and a glass screen without anti-glare coating.
...and a better grip and a smile on your face each time you take it out of your bag :-)
07-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Not worth it, IMHO, but then again there are some people who pay a premium for special paint jobs on their new car. I say get the black and get nice lenses for it. You won't attract as much attention but it will serve you well.

07-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

If you want to have a rare body "limited" to either use or collect;otherwise a regular body would be fine, i would personally get it as a collector because of it "rareness" BUT only if you can afford to collect.