Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Program lines

Coming from a k-x, the program lines were new to me. I mostly shoot wildlife/birds, and one thing I notices straight away was the sports setting program line. It seems awesome, as it does pretty much what I try to do myself in Av mode, but adjust infinitely quicker. It's so easy now, it almost feel like I'm cheating!

What I found with the k-5 set at action program line, with the da*300, is that it keeps shutter at 1/800 or 1/1000 and aperture at 4,5 to 5. Which is good. The lens is really much better at f4,5 then it is at f4. I could wish for even faster shutter sometimes, and more DOF, but I guess I can quickly adjust that myself with hyper program.

What I'm curious about, is if other pentax shooters use this modes? Tv, Av, and Tav mode seems a bit redundant to me now, that I can do everything in P with hyper mode. And the added benefit of program lines.

So when do you use the P lines, and which one do you find useful? In which situations do you use them etc?

06-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use MTF.
06-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've made 4 users, based on P-mode...
- Portrait, using "shallow DoF" P-line
- MF Portrait, same as above but without the red AF squares
- Action, using "Sport" P-line
- Fast Action, same as above but with Auto-iso set to "Fast".

P mode is really great, sort of a green mode but with an express way out of it to your favorite modes (Tv on front wheel and Av on back wheel for me)...
This way I'm sure my camera could be up and running in less than one second... Nothing to fiddle with, no previous settings not adapted to the current scene... I power up, select one User (often the one currently being selected), and the camera is ready to snap.
And going to Av or Tv mode is easy!
06-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
dlacouture: Good info about the "fast action" settings there, I'll adopt that one

06-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot 70% in M mode and 25% in Av and 5% Tv. I never tried Program mode and now think i just get what it is...hmm, i will try it.

[edit - i did and this is not for me, back to M, i must be a control freak]

Last edited by mikeSF; 06-30-2011 at 10:54 PM.