Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Brand new or returned/refurbished?

Hi All. I'm new to the forum and Pentax, but have been researching buying a K-5 for months now and finally plunked down cash and bought one through Adorama.

I was really excited when I got home today to my "new" K-5 that was waiting for me. I've done a lot of research regarding the stain/FF issue and thought that buying one now with a later serial number might give me a better chance of a flawless body.

So that prefaces my slight frustration when I opened up my K-5 and saw serial number 393xxxx.

I haven't even gotten around to using it - the battery is still charging. But I wanted to ask your opinions about it. Is it unreasonable to suspect this is a refurbished product? I know I have to try it out before I get worked up about it. I'm just saying, if I buy a refurbished product, I'd expect to pay a refurbished price.

Thanks for the help!

06-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You need to check the manufacture date with PhotoMe. BTW, mine is a 393.... and is fine. Also, how were the contents of the box packed? Did they look like they had been re-packed?
06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
EXIF data shows manufacture date of 2011.1.22. I guess that makes sense. Looking at the serial number list I quickly assumed it was made in 2010.

The box didn't look re-packaged, even though it would be pretty hard to tell (no seal sticker on the box).

I have to say I've had a great experience with Adorama so far. I'm just a little paranoid, this being my first DSLR purchase and having put so much energy into researching the camera, and hoping the problems don't crop up. Judging from just reading forums, I figure I probably have equal chances of the K-5 either ruining my life or becoming my favorite tool. And that I'll go through 5-10 bodies before I find a good one

Well, gotta start reading that manual now
06-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a very similar experience with Adorama; bought my k-7 last year around fathers day at a great price (lowest price dip so far for new). Somehow, the camera serial number was old with manufacture date of 2009/06, almost exactly one year old. However, the service bit (from exif) was not set, which means it is not been serviced/repaired; therefore I think it was not likely to be refurbished.

However, I got the impression that they don't (or forgot to) move their old stock first before the new ones. I have been lucky so far-keeping my fingers crossed as the 1-year warranty has just expired without any hiccup. I can understand your feeling especially when you pay at the on-going price. Since the manufacture date on your k-5 is in 2011 and if the service bit is also not set, I think you should be okay.

I like my k-7 (a great tool) and I know the k-5 is much better. Enjoy your k-5...

06-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've never had problems with Adorama and they have been good to me.
Customer service is great and if you do experience any problems, contact them immediately and I'm sure they will attend to your needs immediatey.
They have a great and friendly service.
I always buy my stuff now from Adorama.
06-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am curious. With the price dropping on the K-5 does that mean another one is ready to be announced? The next in line to replace the K-5? Just curious from you old Pentax guys.
07-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am curious. With the price dropping on the K-5 does that mean another one is ready to be announced? The next in line to replace the K-5? Just curious from you old Pentax guys.
No, K5 is actually dropping slower than past bodies have. We still have a while before a new body is announced, unless they speed up their schedule, and I wouldn't count on that.

07-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bårsvik Quote
Hi All. I'm new to the forum and Pentax, but have been researching buying a K-5 for months now and finally plunked down cash and bought one through Adorama.

I was really excited when I got home today to my "new" K-5 that was waiting for me. I've done a lot of research regarding the stain/FF issue and thought that buying one now with a later serial number might give me a better chance of a flawless body.

So that prefaces my slight frustration when I opened up my K-5 and saw serial number 393xxxx.

I haven't even gotten around to using it - the battery is still charging. But I wanted to ask your opinions about it. Is it unreasonable to suspect this is a refurbished product? I know I have to try it out before I get worked up about it. I'm just saying, if I buy a refurbished product, I'd expect to pay a refurbished price.

Thanks for the help!
I have had My K5 replaced and got an earlier serial number which was refurbished with new build date I know this as the serial was already on the forums data base it has been removede now and my name ins on the serial number now.As far as it being refurbished I think you can say it will be better inspected than one straight of the production line, check data base and see if your number is on here