Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focus problem since v1.10

Hello!

I've been experiencing focus problems since last week (around when I upgraded to v1.10)...

Since the upgrade, both my 18-55WR and my Tamron 28-75/2.8 now back-focus severely (up to 10% of the focusing distance, I'd say!) as soon as I use anything else than the longest focal...
They both now ram into the focus infinity limit as soon as the subject is 10m away!

They behaved perfectly before (I have this combo since October, and used it quite extensively since, so I'd have noticed any problem before!).

What is strange is that this behavior occurs only in full daylight... In tungsten light, they both focus perfectly!
It reeks of a bad firmware fix for the tungsten focus problem!

Could anyone try it?

07-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The firmware hasn't added anything except for GPS support- perhaps your custom AF adjustments were reset?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i got similar issue... from couple of days i cant figuret out what is going on with the AF of my k5 i cant find the pattern but almost every time i change the lens i have to readjust AF.... its like adjustment is floating... somethig weird since 1.10...
07-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #4

I have noticed the same thing with my K5. For some reason I need to adjust the AF for my Tamron 18-200 every couple of days or so....very weird....My pentax 55-300 and sigma 10-20 don't need any readjustment. Only Tamron. I was thinking that maybe K5 can't read Tamron's ID like it should and gets confused every time I change the lens.....? I have no idea but it's annoying that I have to test the focus every time I put the Tamron on.

07-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
I have noticed the same thing with my K5. For some reason I need to adjust the AF for my Tamron 18-200 every couple of days or so....very weird....My pentax 55-300 and sigma 10-20 don't need any readjustment. Only Tamron. I was thinking that maybe K5 can't read Tamron's ID like it should and gets confused every time I change the lens.....? I have no idea but it's annoying that I have to test the focus every time I put the Tamron on.
Do the focus adjustment values change or do they remain the same?
If its the latter, I guess you could just record the value and enter it manually until a fix is issued.
07-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #6

Same problem here. Everytime I get a firmware I am supposed to test all the camera features???

The worrs I cannot downgrade!!! And so I cannot even prove it.

WHY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DOWNGRADE!!!!????

S^&*!
07-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #7

"Do the focus adjustment values change or do they remain the same?
If its the latter, I guess you could just record the value and enter it manually until a fix is issued."

I have to adjust the AF to different values almost every time I use the lens. The last value I used is still there when I mount the lens, however the focus is not good for that value anymore. Before the last firmware the AF was set at -4 and it was perfect every time. Now I'm going from -7 to +5.....so random.

07-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
I have to adjust the AF to different values almost every time I use the lens. The last value I used is still there when I mount the lens, however the focus is not good for that value anymore. Before the last firmware the AF was set at -4 and it was perfect every time. Now I'm going from -7 to +5.....so random.
Wow that really sucks!
If it means anything to you, I once owned a D200 with a Nikon lens that had to be sent in three times for calibration. After which is still wouldn't keep focus. I finally gave up and set the lens aside until I ended-up selling the unit.

I guess on the bright side, you can(at very least) calibrate your lens rather than having to send in the entire unit until a fix is issued.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-04-2011 at 02:20 AM.
07-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem is (at least for me) that before the v1.10, focus was consistent...

Now, my zooms seem to be back-focusing at one end and front-focusing at the other!!!
07-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow! Seams we have discovered another bug. I have just double checked.... for da16-50 and da50-135 every couple of days i have to change the value the same for both lenses from -8 to -4 and vice versa, it seams to be rondom i have no idea what it depends on (at least i have two values to choose from i dont have to perform any reserch if something's wrong i change the value, for instance from -8 to -4, thats it). Strange thing the problem doesnt refers to FA lenses (i got 4 of them) only to DA lenses or maybe im wrong.... its really puzzled

ok, updated:
i have ff problem in dimm light. I have performed another tests: I have covered windows with blinds, went from 8EV to 4EV. The Front focus problem in dimm light is definitely in my k5.... once i uncovere the blinds (8EV), focusing is ok; under 4EV and with blinds on i need -8 correction for da 16-50 as well as for da50-135; FA lenses are just a little bit faster to exhibit the problem at 4EV, thay need something like 2 or 1 ev to start front focusing.

Do you guys know about any support groups for peopple with ff problem in dimm light or i should call my counsellor straight away?

Last edited by filorp; 07-04-2011 at 10:59 AM.