Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whats up with K-r guys?
Lot of talks but has anyone installed the new firmware?
Any improvement over intermittent faulty battery meter and AF issues?

Feedback please!

07-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
It's not available yet to download so nobody knows anything.
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
By the way, what happened to updates between 1.03 and this 1.11? Have I missed something?
Typically software versioning may use 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 for minor updates and 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for major updates. A missing 1.10 may have been a version that was not released for whatever reason but instead of mucking up the versioning library they simply move on to 1.11. I am very interested in seeing the reasons for a "major" update if true. Of course, my K-5 is still at CRIS so my excitement is tempered.
07-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Typically software versioning may use 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 for minor updates and 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for major updates. A missing 1.10 may have been a version that was not released for whatever reason but instead of mucking up the versioning library they simply move on to 1.11. I am very interested in seeing the reasons for a "major" update if true. Of course, my K-5 is still at CRIS so my excitement is tempered.
True, except there was a firmware v1.10. It's the firmware that added support for the GPS module.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-K-5-Firmware-1.10

07-12-2011, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I actually prefer the black one as well (though I haven't seen a silver one in person, so perhaps that might change things if I did).
Black takes better photos .... black takes better photos .... black takes better photos ....

"Alpha children wear grey and have silver cameras. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta with a black camera, because I don't work so hard.

"And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green and carry Hannah Montana cameras, and Delta children wear khaki with their GE cameras."

I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta with a black K-5.

Now, who has the soma?
07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Black takes better photos .... black takes better photos .... black takes better photos ....

"Alpha children wear grey and have silver cameras. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta with a black camera, because I don't work so hard.

"And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green and carry Hannah Montana cameras, and Delta children wear khaki with their GE cameras."

I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta with a black K-5.

Now, who has the soma?
Community, Identity, Stability
07-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nsolarz Quote
Community, Identity, Stability
Lead to Solidarity Services, which Wikipedia describes as a ritual that "climaxes in an orgy."

07-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Back to topic, alas.

This is an opportunity to see if Hoya will be more open about the update than many feel they have been earlier. If not, one more vote for an open Ricoh.
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #39
Site Supporter

True, except there was a firmware v1.10. It's the firmware that added support for the GPS module.

Pentax K-5 Firmware 1.10 - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
You are correct. Not being a GPS kinda guy I totally ignored that one. According to my versioning theory it hardly seems a major upgrade does it.
07-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You are correct. Not being a GPS kinda guy I totally ignored that one. According to my versioning theory it hardly seems a major upgrade does it.
I skipped it as well as I had/have no intention of getting the GPS module.

I also agree that it seemed a bit odd that it jumped to 1.1 when they added GPS support. My theory (at the time) was that it was going to be the last firmware update for a while so that is why they jumped to 1.1.

Regardless, I'm still happily running v1.03. Hopefully we'll see/hear soon what v1.11 does.
07-12-2011, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just tried it.

It only installs the work "Ricoh" to the startup screen
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Typically software versioning may use 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 for minor updates and 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for major updates. A missing 1.10 may have been a version that was not released for whatever reason but instead of mucking up the versioning library they simply move on to 1.11. I am very interested in seeing the reasons for a "major" update if true.
Ahh - but it depends on the scheme used and what is deemed the Most Significant Bit of the version scheme. In fact, the 'GPS thing' would be, using a Major-Minor-Revision scheme (which it appears they are), a Minor Upgrade, correctly numbered

1 Being the Major.
.1 Being the Minor
0 or 1 being the Revision.

Hence, 1.10 is still the original Major Branch, a new Minor Branch, with a reset Revision index. They then fixed a few bugs, and went to 1.11 (second revision of Major 1, Minor 1). The GPS is "minor" because it added functionality - but did not *change* it. It also required additional Menu's and some tweaked options...

So 1.03 -> 1.10 sounds about right. Since its a new Minor you reset the Revisions. And 1.11 would logically be some bug-fixes they've found in the past 3 weeks....

And most definitely - never confuse a 1.1 with being related to a 1.10

I personally haven't seen a "2.X" ever of any Pentax DSLR firmware - but thats probably cause I've never really looked - which would correspond with a "Major" upgrade, indicating base functionality had changed/altered along with significant new functionality...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #43

I skipped it as well as I had/have no intention of getting the GPS module.

I also agree that it seemed a bit odd that it jumped to 1.1 when they added GPS support. My theory (at the time) was that it was going to be the last firmware update for a while so that is why they jumped to 1.1.

Regardless, I'm still happily running v1.03. Hopefully we'll see/hear soon what v1.11 does.
1.1 != 1.10

its a weird convention with software releases. 1.10 is a slight step up from 1.09 etc. whereas 1.1 is a milestone leap.

edit: bah, post above beat me to it lol
07-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I heard it will be Hoya's goodbye gift to Pentax shooters that have had problems or complained. When a malfunction occurs, the camera will automatically explode, eliminating the defective camera and the shooter. After this update, complaints should decrease significantly.

Regards!
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I heard it will be Hoya's goodbye gift to Pentax shooters that have had problems or complained.
But the worst kind are those that didn't even buy a K-5 because they thought it is not good enough. To address these, Hoya should send out free K-5s to these people. Latest firmware installed, of course, thank you.