Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #16

Original Poster
I wasn't having any shutter problems at all like other people have. I was in the middle of my third session of the day and right after I pushed the shutter button to take a photo and it just turned off. My first thought was that my battery had died since I had been shooting all day and didn't charge it the night before.So I used my back up to finish the session.

I do have my K20 as a back up, but I have 2 super low light sessions (homebirths) coming up and my K-5 does miles better than my K-20 in that department!

I have waited 3 weeks already, and now they said it was going to be a minimum of another 6 weeks because the circuit board is on back order. After enough pushing yesterday, there was finally a note put on my work order that said that if the part does not arrive by 8/1 to issue me a new body, but the agent could not tell me how long after that it would be for me to receive that. sigh

I kept stressing to them that they need to figure out what caused the surge for the board to go in the first place, because who is to say once the new board goes in that it will not happen again in a few short months.

07-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pamones Quote
I do have my K20 as a back up, but I have 2 super low light sessions (homebirths) coming up and my K-5 does miles better than my K-20 in that department!
I see where you're coming from.
And I guess that Ideally, you'd have another K-5 as a backup.
Also, there's no denying the K-5's low light advantage, however... your K20 should be fine in low light with the right lens(f/2 - 3.5). I've shot quite a bit of low light images with those bodies and it proved to be fairly consistent.

Just be sure to shoot in RAW, take hold of your focus and use LV to get things right and you'll be fine.

K20D/ISO6400
07-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #18
Rin
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pamones Quote
I wasn't having any shutter problems at all like other people have. I was in the middle of my third session of the day and right after I pushed the shutter button to take a photo and it just turned off. My first thought was that my battery had died since I had been shooting all day and didn't charge it the night before.So I used my back up to finish the session.

I have waited 3 weeks already, and now they said it was going to be a minimum of another 6 weeks because the circuit board is on back order. After enough pushing yesterday, there was finally a note put on my work order that said that if the part does not arrive by 8/1 to issue me a new body, but the agent could not tell me how long after that it would be for me to receive that. sigh

I kept stressing to them that they need to figure out what caused the surge for the board to go in the first place, because who is to say once the new board goes in that it will not happen again in a few short months.
Ridiculous, they should just give a new one. Not trying to fix it with things they are not sure of.
07-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just thought i would tell you mine is coming back from Pentax Japan. Only 2.5 weeks. I live in Asia half the year and U.S. the other half. And I find Japan service is excellent and fast.
My K-5's are coming back to me Pre-paid after the following.

1. AF issues adj. back focus corrected? I hope it fixed more than a little back focus but still i am happy.
2. New mother board and related components.
3. New Shutter's on both cameras.
4. New motor drives for the lens. I only use a screw driven lens for my shooting.
So Pentax Japan has completely rebuilt my camera's in 2.5 weeks and I received a tracking number today.

When in asia I shoot an enormous amounts of pics. So the shutter I was expecting, but the other repairs were not expected.

I sent mine in from the States here, and it is coming back to the States. After spending so much time in Asia. I now prefer to buy all my camera gear direct from Japan. I am much happier with the service in general. Just a great bunch of guys and gal's. Communication is just all you could ask for. Even when I move back to the States for good. I will continue to buy from Japan not U.S. Just a personal choice for me. But I have a re pore with many sellers there now so it helps me to be more comfortable with this.

Update: With the extensive repairs. they did it really confirms what I have been thinking. The Pentax K-5 is a great camera, but not for really hard hitting photography. Sports and wildlife. My cameras were never mistreated but heavily used. Many thousand shutter counts.
I am glad they rebuilt the cameras and am looking forward to using them again. I am curious to see how my new 7-D holds up to every day shooting. It will be very interesting for me to see which is the better built camera.

Last edited by garyk; 07-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.
07-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
The Pentax K-5 is a great camera, but not for really hard hitting photography. Sports and wildlife. My cameras were never mistreated but heavily used. Many thousand shutter counts.
I got some 50 thousand clicks on my K-x in a year and a half without any problems, so I hope the K5 can at least do 100k
but I think for really hard hitting there is another segment of cameras...like D3
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You know stanic. I still have the k-x without one problem. It is my backup and a wonderful camera it is. But it is slower shutter than the k-5 and just built for it's job. The K-5 is a kinda supped up camera with components that cannot take the advanced features it offers.
In my opinion only now. I may be wrong but with two in the same shape I just do not know.
And I will have to say Pentax fixed them without a question.. And very timely. So I am a happy camper.

I just love the K-5. I am hoping the next one out will be able to take my abuse.. Anyway I love Pentax just an ovservation.
Reguards, Gary
07-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
The K-5 is a kinda supped up camera with components that cannot take the advanced features it offers.

I just love the K-5. I am hoping the next one out will be able to take my abuse.. Anyway I love Pentax just an ovservation.
Reguards, Gary
yup, just a bit scary

I feel the same way about Pentax...there is no similar choice really

07-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If they don't replace the camera quickly, get a refund and buy one elsewhere. I wouldn't stand for the cam being away for weeks when it's under warrenty.

I had my first K-5 replaced. it took approx 30 seconds through a courier swap.