Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have plenty of "Happy Things" to say about my K5. I am glad I switched from the Canon 5D MKII. It has great IQ and DR.. it is small, the lenses don't cost a fortune. I can carry a bag of primes and a couple of DA*s all day and not suffer back problems as I did with my Canon gear.

Bottom line.. the K5 serves my needs and is one of the best built cameras I have owned. The Ltd. lenses are a joy to use and the DA*s I own live up to the pro standard, at least for me.

When problems are encoutered with any camera the first place most owners turn to are the forums. That's one of the reasons forums exist.. to discuss the gear you own and your experience with that gear both positive and negative.

I read many posts regarding the stained sensor issue and took the plunge anyway. I'm glad I did. The K5 is a remarkable little camera in many respects.

While I understand your desire to hear the "Great Things" about the camera there is no reason not to make others aware of "issues" involving the camera.

I don't believe anyone in this forum or others is trying to give Pentax "bad press".. but if a camera does have unresolved or newly discovered issues.. they need to be aired in public as well as with the camera maker. This does current owners and potential owners a service which you will not find on the Pentax website. I do believe that Pentax reads the forums. They would be foolish not to do so. They may not read forums as much as you or I do but I do feel they are aware of them and check "the pulse" of the user community.

Unless a camera is "dead" or non-functional in someway, I prefer to continue to use it until a certified fix is found before I send it in for a repair which might leave me without my "main" camera for weeks or possibly months.

The way to make a camera better is to discover any faults it might have and hope that the camera maker will address those faults in a timely manner. I certainly don't consider reporting and issue and trying to find the cause of that issue as "bashing" Pentax or the K5.

I just want my camera to function properly. I see nothing wrong with that. Just because somone posts a thread that is about a problem with a camera does not mean that individual has "bad intentions".

I am not a FanBoy of any brand of camera. I use cameras as tools and nothing more. I am a fan of photography and always try to use the tools that will provide the end result I desire. The K5 does this. There obviously have been issues with some K5s but that certainly is in no way condeming all K5s or Pentax.

07-13-2011, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #17
Inactive Account

A couple of birds. Of course..
The K-5 is absolutely the best camera I have ever used. Without this camera I would of given up my birding.
White balance is off but just look at noise ( or lack of it ) and beautiful colors.
Attached Images

07-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, whithout a doubt, I am very happy with the K5.
Good for you, but what about those who aren't? Don't they have a voice?

Just a pity of all the whining on the internet. All those complaints are actually damaging Pentax's reputation and killing their sales.
Just how do you get to keep your right to rave about something while trying to take the rights away from those who want to rant?
07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

My story is that my grandfather gave me all his camera gear, which was all pentax. At the time, I had a Nikon D90 with a bunch of lenses...but I didnt want two systems, and there was no way I would sell my grandfather's stuff, so I decided to liquidate my Nikon gear and invest in Pentax gear.
My D90 was a better camera than I was a photographer, but I still lusted after the D7000 for its low-light capabilities. So the K-5 was naturally my choice for my new Pentax Body. I am extremely happy so far with my choice. The K-5 has been an awesome little camera for me.
If you are a pro that requires top of the line AF speed and full frame, Nikon is your choice. But I am an enthusiast who doesnt need poster sized prints and who doesn't photograph sports for a living, so the K-5 fits my needs like a glove.

Here are a couple of Bird in Flight picsthat I took with my K-5/DA* 300mm:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15829740@N06/5924537859/sizes/l/in/set-72157627166395868/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15829740@N06/5924549725/sizes/l/in/set-72157627166395868/

07-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #20

My K-5 after firmware 1.03 (that solved AF problems) works like charm. Nothing more to give or take.
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Good for you, but what about those who aren't? Don't they have a voice?

Just how do you get to keep your right to rave about something while trying to take the rights away from those who want to rant?
If they are not happy with the solution Pentax provided for them, sure! But the thing is... Pentax helps them in all ways, but still they comlain all over the net.
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was a Canon shooter (if you call a 300D and then a 20D and some "L" glass commitment to a brand), but when I really got into HDRs I needed a camera with better bracketing. Back then, it was K20D or (gulp) a 1Ds!

So after my K20D served me well for almost 3 years, I watched the early adopters of the K-5 with their trials and tribulations, and when the stains were gone and the firmware settled down, I knew I had to upgrade "the best APS-C camera." Well, the price is right, the features are amazing, and I've had exactly zero problems with the body in 6 months. Nice....

07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me reiterate Rupert's request for this thread: This is the place for sharing your positive experiences with the K-5 here.
i.e. Please leave any negative experiences, ranting or whining about the K-5 to the plethora of other threads dedicated to that.

Nice stories overall.
The K-5's DR is one indispensible strength of the camera.
07-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Speak for yourself, Rupert. I think it's YOU who needs to read better.

I've posted two replies in this thread: One in which I boast about how perfectly well my K5 operates. And how delighted I am with owning it. And a second reply in which I complain about all the other people who are complaining!!!

Wouldn't want to run in to you on the highway!

Hmmmm.....Clavius, I reckon I do see that now......so along with my apologies, let me offer a few excuses......it is only proper to have excuses in today's world......used to be you could just admit your mistake, apologize and move on...but in this modern world excuses are a requirement of life....so here goes.

*It's that damn Speed Reading course I took years ago.....as some here can verify, it is not the first time I have made a similar mistake....and probably not the last.

*I'm old and not nearly as sharp as I think I am....and for sure not as sharp as I once was.

*It has been above 105F here every day for over six weeks....and just like hot K5's ...brains can malfunction in that kind of heat.

*I have a natural tendency to want to argue...like Parallax, if you know him here...he has the same disease.

*I love my K5 and am too sensitive when I see negatives about it, even if they are in a positive context of a reply.

*I once tried the "R" for racing and crashed my head into the windshield, doing permanent brain damage.

Lastly.....although there certainly could be more added ....this should about cover anything I missed......

*I talk to Squirrels...and they talk back to me...and I understand them.

Best Regards
Rupert

Today at lunchtime...it got even hotter later....my K5 didn't act funny or lock up....but I sure did!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Still want to hear those K5 stories, they are better than the sound of barking Squirrels, which I love to hear!
07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Hey guys I sure don't want anyone considering my post a "complaint" about the K-5, I was just wanting some advice on wether to send in for some repairs. I'm an absolute newbie to DSLR camera's but I think I've spent my money in exactly the right place- Pentax

I had only owned point and shoot before I purchased the K-5 and spent many months mulling the purchase of my DSLR. I spent most of that time looking at Nikon and Canon and to be honest I almost overlooked Pentax because I only knew of those brands (and sony). I just happend on THIS forum and decided to give pentax a look and I was hooked. I knew from that moment on I was buying a Pentax the only decision left for me was it going to be the K-5 or the cool bright red K-r.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase and am really trying to understand the art of photography ( way harder than I initially thought).

I purchased a DA70mm limited with my camera and although I realize now that I should have done my homework (the focal length is not really working for me) I am getting some awesome shots of my wonderful children as well as the world around me. Not to mention the excitment of a new hobby. All in all I am overwhelmingly thrilled with my new adventure and am certainly glad that I purchased my K-5.

p.s. this forum has been a wealth of information and inspiration. I've learned more on this forum in a few months than I learned in a year reading books! The terms aperature, ISO, and shutter speed no longer have the intimidation that they once had and that is thanks to all of you guys!
07-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melvis2 Quote
Hey guys I sure don't want anyone considering my post a "complaint" about the K-5, I was just wanting some advice on wether to send in for some repairs. I'm an absolute newbie to DSLR camera's but I think I've spent my money in exactly the right place- Pentax

I had only owned point and shoot before I purchased the K-5 and spent many months mulling the purchase of my DSLR. I spent most of that time looking at Nikon and Canon and to be honest I almost overlooked Pentax because I only knew of those brands (and sony). I just happend on THIS forum and decided to give pentax a look and I was hooked. I knew from that moment on I was buying a Pentax the only decision left for me was it going to be the K-5 or the cool bright red K-r.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase and am really trying to understand the art of photography ( way harder than I initially thought).

I purchased a DA70mm limited with my camera and although I realize now that I should have done my homework (the focal length is not really working for me) I am getting some awesome shots of my wonderful children as well as the world around me. Not to mention the excitment of a new hobby. All in all I am overwhelmingly thrilled with my new adventure and am certainly glad that I purchased my K-5.

p.s. this forum has been a wealth of information and inspiration. I've learned more on this forum in a few months than I learned in a year reading books! The terms aperature, ISO, and shutter speed no longer have the intimidation that they once had and that is thanks to all of you guys!
Melvis, welcome to the world of Pentax cameras....a generally friendly group and definitely a place here at PF to learn, get your questions answered and post your work when you so desire. We sometimes fight, sometimes agree, but are all almost always willing to help a newcomer.

I have learned a ton since my first DSLR a DS...and a lot of it right here. Still a ton to learn, that is the neat thing....you never stop learning. You have an excellent camera, it will provide you with most any ability you might desire, and the more you learn the more you will appreciate the K5.

Best Regards!
Rupert
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I talk to Squirrels...and they talk back to me...and I understand them

And here I thought I was the only one. Go figure, good to know I am not the only one talks to and understands squirrels. Anyone think I am joking?
07-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary, those are fantastic bird shots! Just gorgeous!

Jamesm007....do your Squirrels drink beer in hot weather too? Mine have become guzzlers lately... I'm buying by the truckload now, but Squirrels are coming in from all of over the area......and when I ask them to slow down, they pretend they can't understand me.

For those that are expressing some fear that I might have posted this thread to stifle negative comments, think again. Since day one of the K5 I have been one of the most ardent defenders of the right of shooters to post their complaints and nothing has changed my attitude about that. I just felt that maybe some of us that are absolutely thrilled needed to be heard clearly too. Not everyone has problems...I sure don't....and furthermore, I wish no one else did either.

Best Regards! ....can we hear more True Stories...please?
07-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
<snip>
No hitches to date, robust and stalwart, it performed to perfection in some tough conditions - heavy seaspray, close-range 50cal and 5in gun firing and being knocked around in a rocking ship. Can hardly wait to have a crack at my next wedding with it...
You take 50cal and 5" guns to a wedding? Life must be exciting (and noisy) in QLD

I was really tempted when the K5 came out, but was thinking about the cost. Then I saw some high ISO shots here and that clicked a flip-flop in my brain. The first few shots I took confirmed that I'd made a good decision.

Richard.
07-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #30
Pentaxian

K5 is the best Pentax DSLR I've used so far coming from a K100D and K7. Even from K100 to K7, there just wasn't that OMG! moment in terms of performance and that is a from 3 generation jump in camera models.
The K5 has been a totally different experience.

1. No more frustrations that I miss shots due to indecisive AF. Controllable now in customization to have release priority over focus lock.
2. Far better HDR feature which I use quite a bit for landscapes to get a bit more DR.
Nothing compared to Photomatrix, but I don't always need that.
All I need is more exposure latitude so that I can adjust everything to taste later in PP.
3. Super low chroma noise straight off camera.
4. The noise control does wonders. It runs circles around my K7 even with NR off.
5. Better NR has made many lenses even better. I always found my F*300/4.5 to be a bit limited by the nosier o/p of the K7, having to maintain a good shutter speed and therefore needing to use a higher ISO (usually 800 to 1600). Now, its far better at these ISO values.
6. Again, NR performance for macros. A balance between flash power, recycling time, f-stop for DOF and grain due to higher ISO. Now, its problem solved with the very good performance of the K5.

I wish I can share some photos that compare the K5 against rivals like the D700, D7K, A700, D90, cause I've shot events where these cameras were used by friends, but I don't have the permission to do so.
The K5 easily takes on any of the above mentioned cameras in AF accuracy and ISO performance.