Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #376
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror flops just started. Can't say when it happens ,very erratic, unexplainable. Bought it from CRK also. Only 7 months old.
It is annoying.Lucky it happened under warranty time.

05-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lensego Quote
Can't say when it happens ,very erratic, unexplainable.
Were your batteries freshly charged? It seems freshly charged and 'hot' batteries will often trigger this.
06-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #378
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, add me to the mirror slap club. It had to happened on my family vacation. On a positive note I have a Fuji X10 which I love. But, as I have only had the K5 for ~2 months and 1100 shots, this was going to be a fun test. (BTW I originally checked and my camera was new 'old stock' from Adorama- Manufactured 8/2011.)

What is the best way to use the CRIS center? Any advice? I hate the thought of the hassle but I have no choice. Should I ask them to check for other known problems, loose buttons, stains on sensor, AF alignment? Or do they do a series of checks on the rest of the camera as part of the service? Thanks.
06-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #379
Forum Member

Hi rawr
No the battery was not freshly charged>
I have tried many thing to try to pin point what is actually triggering it.
So I tried all different modes lenses etc. you name it but no success
It is still Under warranty so it went to the service,CRK was super helpful.
I can only can recommend the guys there

06-02-2012, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #380

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Well, add me to the mirror slap club. It had to happened on my family vacation. On a positive note I have a Fuji X10 which I love. But, as I have only had the K5 for ~2 months and 1100 shots, this was going to be a fun test. (BTW I originally checked and my camera was new 'old stock' from Adorama- Manufactured 8/2011.)

What is the best way to use the CRIS center? Any advice? I hate the thought of the hassle but I have no choice. Should I ask them to check for other known problems, loose buttons, stains on sensor, AF alignment? Or do they do a series of checks on the rest of the camera as part of the service? Thanks.
If it's a mild case/random occurrence of mirror flop problem CRIS will do "mirror overrun repair". If it's the hardcore version where it "mirror flops" on it's own or when you push any button they will replace your main ckt bd. If it's the version that seems to be associated with fully charged battery they will replace main ckt bd. If they have to replace your ckt. bd they should do mirror overrun repair to prevent that problem from happening in future.

One thing you can do to help any service tech is describe your symptom as accurately as possible on your "repair input form". CRIS understands this problem very well since they have been repairing mirror flopping K5's since early 2011. Which version of this problem do you have and how many times has it happened? you should state this on your input form.

They are supposed to do full QC check of your camera but IMO/experience the best way to use CRIS or any service center to make sure known problems are repaired is to request it on your input form. Keep this list as short as possible:

1. Sensor stains -- easy to test for yourself so you should know if you have them or not. If you don't leave it off your list.
2. AF calibration -- Yes--If they have to replace your main ckt bd. to fix your problem they will have to do this calibration anyways.
3. Request "Lens Release button repair"---they will glue it in
4. Shutter button switch - request they clean this switch--easy enough for the tech to clean it with some electronic contact cleaner while its opened up for repair. Simple preventative measure.

These are my suggestions--pick out what you want. Good luck.

Last edited by jcp5; 09-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.
06-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #381
Veteran Member

so it went to the service,CRK was super helpful.
I can only can recommend the guys there
Good to hear.
Touch wood, I haven't needed to make use of their services yet, but it's good to know they are good to deal with. My turn may come one day.
06-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #382
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jcp5: thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. I have the "Hardcore" version. There is a you tube video I think on this thread that a poster uses a Kr. Mine is that bad. LV causes mine to have a seizure like his. I like how when I shut my K5 off it gives me one last shutter flap kind of like a wave goodbye.

08-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my turn with the "flop" ... can someone help with the diagnosis?

Here is the story:

1. Fully charged the batteries (camera and grip) as usual, last evening. The batteries are both Pentax brand ... the originals. They are 2 years "old".
2. Go out today but leave the camera in the car (covered with a white "sheet" and not exposed to the sun, for about 1 hour. The camera felt hot when I got back in the car but not any "hotter" than on the hot summer days when outside.
3. Turn the camera on and start taking a few shots on shorebirds .
4. The shutter goes "crazy" ... it seems that it was taking a couple of shots in one shutter press.
Even with the camera "idle" (without touching it seemingly - I may have inadvertently moved the camera a bit but not remembering if I actually touched a button), it went off a couple of times.
5. Took the camera inside after the outing (it is a bit cooler in here - no AC); tested a Hi burst rate (continuous shooting) at different targets though the kitchen window, even letting the buffer fill and continued for another 30 shots or so ... no flop!
6. Removed battery from camera, re-inserted it; added the grip, turn both camera/grip on .... tested for a few shots: nothing. No flop !
7. Using any control buttons dod not cause the flop either.

This may look like the "non-hard core" mirror flop issue but seems to be related to the heat and perhaps the fact that I was using a fully charged battery. ???
Is this a case of "miror flop" or is it not?

I am asking here because if it may be a "flop" issue, I have just a couple months left to my warranty and I will send it in to Pentax.
I would hate to have to send it again because I had just had it fixed for a "battery depleted" issue back in June 2012.

Is there a sure way to test the camera for "real" mirror flop issue to make sure this is not "just a fluke" ?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

JP
08-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is my turn with the "flop" ... can someone help with the diagnosis?

Here is the story:

1. Fully charged the batteries (camera and grip) as usual, last evening. The batteries are both Pentax brand ... the originals. They are 2 years "old".
2. Go out today but leave the camera in the car (covered with a white "sheet" and not exposed to the sun, for about 1 hour. The camera felt hot when I got back in the car but not any "hotter" than on the hot summer days when outside.
3. Turn the camera on and start taking a few shots on shorebirds .
4. The shutter goes "crazy" ... it seems that it was taking a couple of shots in one shutter press.
Even with the camera "idle" (without touching it seemingly - I may have inadvertently moved the camera a bit but not remembering if I actually touched a button), it went off a couple of times.
5. Took the camera inside after the outing (it is a bit cooler in here - no AC); tested a Hi burst rate (continuous shooting) at different targets though the kitchen window, even letting the buffer fill and continued for another 30 shots or so ... no flop!
6. Removed battery from camera, re-inserted it; added the grip, turn both camera/grip on .... tested for a few shots: nothing. No flop !
7. Using any control buttons dod not cause the flop either.

This may look like the "non-hard core" mirror flop issue but seems to be related to the heat and perhaps the fact that I was using a fully charged battery. ???
Is this a case of "miror flop" or is it not?

I am asking here because if it may be a "flop" issue, I have just a couple months left to my warranty and I will send it in to Pentax.
I would hate to have to send it again because I had just had it fixed for a "battery depleted" issue back in June 2012.

Is there a sure way to test the camera for "real" mirror flop issue to make sure this is not "just a fluke" ?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

JP
Was it on continuous or single shot mode?
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Was it on continuous or single shot mode?
Was on continuous High burst when it did it and when I retested it later.

Thanks for the reply.

JP
08-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #386
Pentaxian

Was on continuous High burst when it did it and when I retested it later.

Thanks for the reply.
Then it actually sounds more like a piece of grit or something making the shutter button get stuck -- if you had the grip on that could one of multiple buttons I guess (does the grip have two?) -- I'd give them all a test and make sure they are moving freely now.
08-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then it actually sounds more like a piece of grit or something making the shutter button get stuck -- if you had the grip on that could one of multiple buttons I guess (does the grip have two?) -- I'd give them all a test and make sure they are moving freely now.
That could be it, a dirty shutter button, although the grip was not "ON" when it happened first.
The grip is the Pentax brand: nearly identical button layout as that of the camera.

The camera shutter button itself was never a problem ( I have heard about sticky buttons) but he ON/OFF lever mounted at the shutter button spot has been increasingly tough to turn. Maybe that is a sign that some dirt has "spilled" inside the shutter button/ON/OFF switch assembly.

I am going to test it again in an hour or so .... the camera has had plenty of time to "cool off" and I will report the results here.

Thanks a bunch for the replies.

Cheers!

JP
08-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #388
Pentaxian

The camera shutter button itself was never a problem ( I have heard about sticky buttons) but he ON/OFF lever mounted at the shutter button spot has been increasingly tough to turn. Maybe that is a sign that some dirt has "spilled" inside the shutter button/ON/OFF switch assembly.
Well, that shouldn't happen, so a mechanical problem or some grit. Maybe you should get a new switch under warranty...
08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #389
Pentaxian

Mirror flops just started. Can't say when it happens ,very erratic, unexplainable.
Mine also took seven months to appear and seems not to be the those described as hard-core. I've plenty of warranty plus a 2-year extension, but I'll watch the clock as I ascertain if anything else should be checked. I've had the camera freeze on me maybe twice, so that hasn't given me any patterns to work on. I did have a couple of odd HDR results during the first multi-flop time span but I've used HDR so seldom it could be me that needs adjusting.
08-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that shouldn't happen, so a mechanical problem or some grit. Maybe you should get a new switch under warranty...
OK ... just back from taking a couple of dozens shots: no flop !

Mind you, I haven't yet recharged the battery, so it was with a slightly discharged one.
What I am doing now is recharging the battery and see what happens with a full charge tomorrow.

As for the grit/dirt: this wouldn't really affect the mirror ... just the shutter itself, wouldn't it? Just asking because I am no technical wizard.

I will still send it away because of yet another "glitch": the rear monitor screen protector is showing signs of coming apart on the right side!
The ON/OFF switch can also be cleaned by them I suppose.
And, they can always do what is necessary for the flop (but I wonder if that single one instance will be enough to justify them to repair it).

So, thanks a bunch again.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-26-2012 at 04:28 PM.