Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Faroe Islands.

I am a new dslr shooter, I bought my K5 in Dusseldorf Germany in Mars this year on vacation as there is no Pentax outlet in my country.

I got me the Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6. I had planned on a DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited. But they did not have it in store at the time. the DA18-135 is a very nice lens for an amateur and much more versatile, so at the time it was, and still is a very good buy for me, but the urge for the limited‘s was still there, so two months after I got home I ordered the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited and also the DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited Lens from bhphotovideo.com, ( fantastic service by the way )

Wow, what a difference in quality, the 40 is so sharp, and even smaller than I though it would be, and the 70 is so nice for portrait‘s, although you need a bit of space, as our houses are not big in the “american style”

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB and a 498RC2 Ball head + a Black Rapid RS-5 camera strap, on the way from Foto-Fun.dk in Denmark, will get it next month as they are on vacation!!!

From Webfoto.dk I ordred a GorillaPod SLR Zoom and I am also thinking about a Lowepro FastPack 250 black.

If it not was for the freight from the US being so expensive, I would bought everything from
bhphotovideo.com, but it is cheaper to get it from Denmark, although they don‘t have that much accessory. especially lenses for Pentax are hard to come by.

I have to thank this forum for helping me choose the K5 and the lenses too, have been reading this forum for the last year (although never posted )... it has helped me a great deal, I had planned to buy Nikon, but this forum made me change my mind, mostly because of the primes and the fact that the K5 has stabilization inside the camera instead of the lens, also the the new sensor is a big plus in low light.

The K5 is a fantastic camera, has an unbelievable rugged build, and is so well laid out,
I compared it with the Canon 7d in a shop here, what a difference, the K5 is much better built and is so much smaller, also here the 7d is very expensive.

I hope to learn to be a better photographer as time goes, and you never know,maybe I will get the nerve to post some pictures some day

Now, I maybe many of you are thinking,” why is this guy buying all this equipment, when he is new to dslr “ :-)

Well I am getting married this November, so my budget will be monitored closely

That reminds me, I am getting married in Thailand, and I am tired carrying a laptop for my 15inch MacBook Pro and my small camera bag also.

As you see I have my eye on the Lowepro FastPack 250 black. but it is a bit deep!!.

Do you guys have any good tips for me. I want to carry my lenses and my camera of course, my laptop, and a small hard-disk, I also see me getting a longer lens in the future, like a Sigma 120-400mm or maybe DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

This was supposed to be a short post, just saying hi to everyone
so I better give it a rest now.
Hope there are not to many spelling errors as english is not my native language.

Take care everyone

Regards
Silvan

07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Silvan,
I agree, the K5 is a great camera with lots of potential. Sounds as though you are getting off to a good start.
As a hobbyist I have found that I can never seem to choose a bag or pack that is large enough. I seem to out-grow them faster than a young child does shoes. I suspect that you may also find this to be true.
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Hello Silvan and welcome to pentaxforums!
I was at the Faroe Islands last month, fantastic place!
07-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Hello Silvan and welcome to pentaxforums!
I was at the Faroe Islands last month, fantastic place!
Hi Zav
And thanks for the welcome.
Yes, I love it here, but we could use some sunshine this summer.
glad you had a good time.

07-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
Welcome Silvan,
I agree, the K5 is a great camera with lots of potential. Sounds as though you are getting off to a good start.
As a hobbyist I have found that I can never seem to choose a bag or pack that is large enough. I seem to out-grow them faster than a young child does shoes. I suspect that you may also find this to be true.
thanks Mack
yes the camera has been wonderful to use, and living in Faroe Islands, it is good to know that it don‘t mind some rain drops ;-)
07-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Silvan. Great introductory post! You're obviously keen investing quite firmly in this gear despite just starting out, but I hear you regarding the reduced freedom in spending after getting married ;-)

Enjoy the forum and most of all, enjoy your photography!
07-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome Silvan. Great introductory post! You're obviously keen investing quite firmly in this gear despite just starting out, but I hear you regarding the reduced freedom in spending after getting married ;-)

Enjoy the forum and most of all, enjoy your photography!
Thanks Ash. Yes I never do anything halfway, only problem it usually costs a bit of money ;-)
I am lucky that my girlfriend loves to take pictures too, so to sweeten her, I got her a Canon s95 ;-)
I just ordered the LowePro fastpack 250. 5 min ago :-) so now I only need a longer lens....
But I have some time for that.

07-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Banned

Hi there, and very welcome here.

You are the guy to just go outside and make a picture of a Puffin! Wow is just my reaction! You can even make a picture of it when it is on the menu! Maybe less wow but still impressive.

Greetings Ron.
07-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Hi there, and very welcome here.

You are the guy to just go outside and make a picture of a Puffin! Wow is just my reaction! You can even make a picture of it when it is on the menu! Maybe less wow but still impressive.

Greetings Ron.
Thanks Ron

I am ashamed to tell you that I have never seen a Puffin live, but as a young boy I have eaten it, although I can‘t today remember the taste ;-)
It is a very small bird, so not that much meat on it.
Sorry to say that the Puffin colony is getting smaller every year, do to not enough food in the sea.
Maybe I should try to get some pictures of it, as long we have it here ;-)

Regards
Silvan
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gryphongryph Quote
Thanks Ron

I am ashamed to tell you that I have never seen a Puffin live, but as a young boy I have eaten it, although I can‘t today remember the taste ;-)
It is a very small bird, so not that much meat on it.
Sorry to say that the Puffin colony is getting smaller every year, do to not enough food in the sea.
Maybe I should try to get some pictures of it, as long we have it here ;-)

Regards
Silvan
wow I was a few years ago on the Orkney's just to see Puffins, but to my bad luck I catched the wrong time due to the wheater.