Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Fixed aperture bracketing in M

Hi all,

The config on my K5 was wiped, and I'm having some problems finding a setting, I hope that someone here can help me.

I sent the K5 for repair, and (as expected) it came back with the config reset to factory default. Before I sent it in, I could use auto-bracketing in M mode and the aperture would remain constant (only the shutter speed would change.) Now that the config was wiped, the K5 changes the shutter and aperture together for the bracketed shots.

ie. I set the mode dial to M, select auto-bracketing, set shutter to 2s and aperture at f/11. Before the config wipe, I would get three exposures: at f/11 - one at 2s, one at 1/2s and one at 8s. Now, I get one exposure at f/11 and 2s, one at f/16 and 1s, and one at f/8 and 4s.

I need a fixed aperture so that my DoF doesn't change.

I'm unable to find a config option for this, so either I'm blind or it's tied to another option that I haven't set. Does anyone know the correct option for me to change?

TIA,
Karl

07-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
In auto bracketing you can set up the number of exposures as well as the number of stops between them.

Looks like you have been switched from 5 to 3.
Switch it back.

Auto-bracket is also accessible thru the Raw/Fx button if so configured.

Also see the neat intro to drive mode functions on the home page of the forums.

Hope it helps

j BEeeeeeeeeeeee
07-19-2011, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

If you want to ensure a fixed aperture, autobracket in aperture priority mode.
07-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Oops, I misread your post so my reply is mostlly goobledegook.

I believe snofox has your answer.

07-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you want to ensure a fixed aperture, autobracket in aperture priority mode.
Yes, I know this is possible, however it doesn't help, as using Av I'm limited to what the camera thinks exposure should be.

eg. I want to bracket with my 0EV image at f/11 and 2s, but Av sets shutter to 1/80s. Since exposure compensation is limited to +/-5EV, I can't get the shots I want.

Before the config was wiped, this was possible in M mode, so it must be a config setting somewhere.
07-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Yes, I know this is possible, however it doesn't help, as using Av I'm limited to what the camera thinks exposure should be.

eg. I want to bracket with my 0EV image at f/11 and 2s, but Av sets shutter to 1/80s. Since exposure compensation is limited to +/-5EV, I can't get the shots I want.
I'm usually in P-mode when bracketing, and you are not limited to +/-5EV. You can also add exposure compensation on top of the bracketing and move all 5 shots to the + side or - side, pretty neat. I now that's not what you are asking for, but it might be a work around for the time being.
07-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In the custom options menu, try setting the green button function to "Tv Shift" when in M mode. I think that might do what you want.

07-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
In the custom options menu, try setting the green button function to "Tv Shift" when in M mode. I think that might do what you want.
YES! That did it! Turns out it's not in the custom options, but in the Rec Mode menu under "e-dial programming". Thank you so much for your help!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I'm usually in P-mode when bracketing, and you are not limited to +/-5EV.
Thanks for the suggestion, but P mode exposure compensation is still limited to +/- 5EV, tied to the camera's meter. When you shoot in P mode and change the shutter speed, the aperture changes to keep the exposure "correct" (according to the camera's meter) I needed a way to completely ignore the camera's meter, which enoeske provided.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions!
07-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been reading this thread...and have played a little with bracketing exposures last evening and this morning, with some promising results....for someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Could someone tell me where you take your (3) or (5) images and process, I used a very old free Photomatix trial program.....and also maybe post a few of your completed works here so I can get an idea of what others are getting?
I am very interested, and it would be very much appreciated....anything you want to add would be welcome as to your processing work flow of these images.
Best Regards!
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the suggestion, but P mode exposure compensation is still limited to +/- 5EV, tied to the camera's meter.
Itīs actually +/-4EV but yes you are tied to the exposure meter, but not only +/- 4EV. With exposure compensation you can the set bracketing series to go from -9EV to -1EV or in the other direction +1EV to +9EV from the cameras meter. So it's a little more flexible then merely +/- 4EV

But anyway, I'm glad someone new the solution.
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Been reading this thread...and have played a little with bracketing exposures last evening and this morning, with some promising results....for someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Could someone tell me where you take your (3) or (5) images and process, I used a very old free Photomatix trial program.....and also maybe post a few of your completed works here so I can get an idea of what others are getting?
I am very interested, and it would be very much appreciated....anything you want to add would be welcome as to your processing work flow of these images.
Best Regards!
Hi Rupert,

The most used program for processing HDR's is photomatix, but there are quite a few available. I like enfuse, which I use as a lightroom plugin but can be used stand alone ( like photomatix as well ) Enfuse uses fusion blending to combine the set of images to give a more natural look. I also have used HDR Efex pro, this is a lightroom plugin as well and gives you a look like photomatix as it uses tone mapping to combine images. Photomatix can do fusion blending as well, but I find enfuse to be cleaner. It all depends on the look you are after, there is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

As for workflow, I capture my 3-5 images, import to lightroom, do my basic adjustments, lens correction, white balance etc, then sync the setting to all images, then export to what ever HDr program I want to use, I will then import back to lightroom for further adjustments. Hope this helps !

cheers

Phil
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Best Regards!
I really like the beta of Oloneo. Gave a really nice natural HDR look. Can't fork out the cash for the new commercial release though

Here's one that I 3 shot focus-bracketed and did a 1 shot psuedo-HDR in the Oloneo software

07-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Itīs actually +/-4EV
This is incorrect. The maximum exposure compensation in any mode is +/-5EV.

You seem to be confusing exposure compensation with the exposure difference in the bracketed shots.
The maximum amount of exposures doesn't change with P mode, and exposure compensation is
still limited to +/-5EV. P mode is no more or less flexible in this regard than Tv or Av.

I use a variety of programs, depending on the situation. For one-off shots, I use cinepaint's bracketing-to-hdr function to create the HDR, and then Luminance for tone-mapping. Examples
River City 2-5861 by ~schon on deviantART
Lake Louise 4975 by ~schon on deviantART
Victoria Legislature 1410-2 by ~schon on deviantART

For batch functions, (such as the thing that started this thread I use Picturenaut to create the HDRs, Luminance to tone-map, and (if necessary) Panotools/Hugin to stitch. Examples
Kelowna Dawn 6462 by ~schon on deviantART
Two lanes turn right by ~schon on deviantART
07-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys! I appreciate the response and will check out those programs......neat Buggie shot, loved it!
Best Regards!

Loved this one too...gorgeous!
http://schon.deviantart.com/art/Kelowna-Dawn-6462-172615865
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This is incorrect. The maximum exposure compensation in any mode is +/-5EV.
I know, for some reason I thought he was talking about bracketing range. But he wasn't so it's my bad.