Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
All those with problems, tell Pentax about it so they would become aware of the problem and fix it.
If you don't tell them about it then they will just say that they haven't heard of the problems and might just shoo you away.
I emailed Pentax through their support section on their website over the weekend. Gave my full name, phone number and email address and a description of the problem.... I've heard nothing from them regarding the issue, not even a "we're looking into it" acknowledgement.

07-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does an Australian Mirror Flopper look like? If I meet one on the street, would I be able to recognize? Are they easily distinguished from the Great Australian Mirror Slapper?
07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

lol @ Selar.

The mirror flopping issues sound a bit scary. I'm thinking I might put off buying a K5 until the issue is resolved. Moot point right now anyway, as I have not saved enough as yet.
07-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
The mirror flopping issues sound a bit scary. I'm thinking I might put off buying a K5 until the issue is resolved. Moot point right now anyway, as I have not saved enough as yet.
Same situation here. Wondering if I shouldn't just stick with my K-x till Ricoh has a chance to sort out the obviously poor quality control issues.

07-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I just got a K-5 locally and am loving it, the features are awesome, and the controls are so so nice to use after having a K-x for the past 18 months. I don't seem to have any FF in low light, I've got no erratic flash over exposure, and the mirror doesn't double flop. The lens release button hasn't even fallen off yet

I'm not going to minimise the issues out there, but I seem to have a "good one" for now at least, anyway that's what warranties are for and I've definitely stored that receipt in a safe place. Also I still have my seemingly bullet proof K-x ready to be called back into duty should the K-5 let me down.
07-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What does an Australian Mirror Flopper look like? If I meet one on the street, would I be able to recognize? Are they easily distinguished from the Great Australian Mirror Slapper?
If you own a K-5, hang it over your shoulder and look into a full length mirror (Fully clothed if possible)

Greetings
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
All those with problems, tell Pentax about it so they would become aware of the problem and fix it.
If you don't tell them about it then they will just say that they haven't heard of the problems and might just shoo you away.
Even with them aware of it they still deny hearing of the problem.

07-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Even with them aware of it they still deny hearing of the problem.
Hi
The reason I started this thread is to ascertain how many K-5 owners (Australian or any other place) are experiencing this problem. I was prompted to this action after handing in my cam for repair at C R Kennedy Melbourne and having been told that they had never heard of this and never had a K-5 returned to them with this problem.

In Australia am I truly the first and only one ?

As a national accredited PENTAX agent I found this response by them extremely unrealistic. Never heard of it? - com on, this can't be right.

I searched the internet and there are stacks of reports to do with this problem. I came across a couple of "you tube" flicks which clearly demonstrate the problem. I copied them and decided to go back to CRK today so they can have a look at it.

I approached the service attendant saying, because he had never heard of this mirror problem, would he like to have a look at these "you tube" flicks to better understand the problem, but he steadfastly refused my offer. He did not want to have a look at it and he did not want to have anything to do with it.

So there you are, CRK don't know anything about the mirror problem, have never heard about it, have never had a camera returned to them with this problem (except mine obviously) and it seems don't want to know about it either.

I stood in front of this guy at CRK today feeling a right Dill.

Greetings
07-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Wow that's pretty extreme that they won't even take it under consideration. I'm quite shocked at the ignorant attitude they're displaying. Can you take it further than him? Was it the same guy as the one you first told?
07-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
The reason I started this thread is to ascertain how many K-5 owners (Australian or any other place) are experiencing this problem. I was prompted to this action after handing in my cam for repair at C R Kennedy Melbourne and having been told that they had never heard of this and never had a K-5 returned to them with this problem.

In Australia am I truly the first and only one ?

As a national accredited PENTAX agent I found this response by them extremely unrealistic. Never heard of it? - com on, this can't be right.

I searched the internet and there are stacks of reports to do with this problem. I came across a couple of "you tube" flicks which clearly demonstrate the problem. I copied them and decided to go back to CRK today so they can have a look at it.

I approached the service attendant saying, because he had never heard of this mirror problem, would he like to have a look at these "you tube" flicks to better understand the problem, but he steadfastly refused my offer. He did not want to have a look at it and he did not want to have anything to do with it.

So there you are, CRK don't know anything about the mirror problem, have never heard about it, have never had a camera returned to them with this problem (except mine obviously) and it seems don't want to know about it either.

I stood in front of this guy at CRK today feeling a right Dill.

Greetings
They have to be kidding, never heard of it. What have they done with my K5.
I should have got you to ask how my camera repair is going,they have had it for 2 weeks for the same problems,as well as the video link to youtube.
07-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Wow that's pretty extreme that they won't even take it under consideration. I'm quite shocked at the ignorant attitude they're displaying. Can you take it further than him? Was it the same guy as the one you first told?
Im waiting for an email from the camera store I got my camera from,He was going to contact CR Kennedy today to see whats happening. No reply as yet. Its not a good attitude from them I agree.
John
07-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Unless you can demonstrate the problem the chances of getting it fixed are minimal.
07-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Unless you can demonstrate the problem the chances of getting it fixed are minimal.
That is yet to be determined.They havent got back to me yet.
07-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Pentax needs to do the following:
  1. Publicly acknowledge the issue exists
  2. Notify all dealers and service centers with a bulletin regarding this issue informing them the problem DOES exist and how they should respond to owners of cameras with this issue.
  3. Provide camera owners suffering with this issue a solution.
To do anything less is a disservice to Pentax customers and inevitably to Pentax itself.

Pentax's silence on this issue is not something I expected.
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I agree Jim. Someone from the forum has posted on the Pentax Snaps page, which is run by CRK in Sydney (I've been to one of their workshops) alerting them of the issues going on. It'll be interesting to see what they say in response to a number of issues raised.