Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Pentax needs to do the following:

Pentax's silence on this issue is not something I expected.
Well I've never heard of such an issue until this thread, and from the description don't really understand the issue. But given the fact their is possibly 2 people in this thread that are even aware of such an issue. It's likely that CRK are not.

It's a hardly a widespread issue, and very few people in Australia obviously have had or know of the issue. As demonstrated by the replies from other Australians.

Wasn't this thread to gauge how many people are affected?

How many 2?

07-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is directed at Australian users, but there are more world-wide. Also, if you read the thread, they have been told & referred onto here and youtube to see the issues, but they don't seem to want to listen.
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Well I've never heard of such an issue until this thread, and from the description don't really understand the issue. But given the fact their is possibly 2 people in this thread that are even aware of such an issue. It's likely that CRK are not.

It's a hardly a widespread issue, and very few people in Australia obviously have had or know of the issue. As demonstrated by the replies from other Australians.

Wasn't this thread to gauge how many people are affected?

How many 2?
Hopefully the problem in Oz is limited to two units, but that doesn't mean that the issue isn't well publicised by this forum. Surely the good folk at Kennedy's keep at least an occasional eye on this place to see what feedback there is to the products they sell?

CRK's refusal to even look at a video of the problem is the part I find strange.
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'll have enough for a grey import next week, if I wait for Aussie stock it will take another 4 months of saving. I want to get it, but I'm really worried about issues.

07-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I'll have enough for a grey import next week, if I wait for Aussie stock it will take another 4 months of saving. I want to get it, but I'm really worried about issues.
Hey Nicole,

I have bought 3 camera's grey. No issues so far yes there are reported issues with the K 5, how widespread they are we don't yet know. I was sitting on the fence between a D7000 or a K 5 for 6-8 months. The issues with the K 5 worried me, but after reading reports of issues with the d7000 it came down to what camera had the features I wanted. I know my K5 is working great at the moment, it may develop a fault in the future it may not. I decided not to worry over what may or may not happen, buy it and enjoy it. It took me some saving to get mine so I know, why it makes you nervous, but no product is ever perfect.

phil
07-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #36

Not OZ USA but the same problem

This mirror flop seems to be world wide.

Here from the US is a lengthy thread.

K5 Mirror Flops - Smoking Gun Found: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

And no answer on the Pentax Snaps page either, I know they've answered other things on there today. Pretty disappointing.

07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm not an Aussie, don't have a mirror problem, and have nothing to add or subtract from your thread. Just wanted to say that I like the sound of that "Mirror Floppers", it just has a nice ring to it ...and I get a sort of foggy visual of a bunch of guys down by the beach somewhere in Australia all flopping together......it is not a bad sight, sort of neat really.

Anyhow, I do hope those with this issue find a solution, it is not funny and would be very annoying to say the least...but the visual I got was pretty neat! You all had on floppy hats too....

Best Regards!
07-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Just a question... Has anyone with the issue tried reloading the firmware from a fresh download from the Pentax site just incase their camera had a curruption when the firmware was first loaded. ?????

If there are still concerns I suggest emailing Clem at CRK to see what he has to say aboot the issue, and the fact they not only likely to loose sales of Pentax K5 , but if no-one is buying the cameras, lenses sales would also be affected as nobody would need Pentax lenses with no Pentax camera. It would be an oversite for them not to look into the problem.
07-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Just a question... Has anyone with the issue tried reloading the firmware from a fresh download from the Pentax site just incase their camera had a curruption when the firmware was first loaded. ?????

If there are still concerns I suggest emailing Clem at CRK to see what he has to say aboot the issue, and the fact they not only likely to loose sales of Pentax K5 , but if no-one is buying the cameras, lenses sales would also be affected as nobody would need Pentax lenses with no Pentax camera. It would be an oversite for them not to look into the problem.
CRK advised me today that they have carried out all bench tests and cannot replicate or find the fault based on the information they have been given by myself and the camera store. They have emailed Pentax and awaiting a reply on where to go from here.
So now it a waiting game. Im just a bit pissed of that I paid $1800 for the body in January and had focusing problems that were fixed by CRK and now this shutter.mirror problem. By the time I get to use what I paid for it would have lot a third of its value.At least now I know they are aware and trying to do something about it.
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
The only time I disagreed with CRK is when my K7 hot shoe was lose and the chap said he hadn't seen the problem before. He said I must have thumped it. When I walked out I recalled I had accidentally ripped a flash of the camera some months before. I have had CRK replace my K5 and my 50-135 zoom no questions asked. I took my K5 in the week it was released and before the sensor stains were known. They looked at it on the spot, said there was a problem and the camera replaced as soon as they had stock. When I was unhappy with a repair they sold me a new replacement item for next to nothing.

I have found them very good over the past 40 years
No mirror slapping here. The K5 is performing well, no regrets on the purchase what so ever.

Like wise Bob, I had to return a 50-135 for an intermittent problem, fixed and returned promptly. I have found CRK pretty good on a couple of occasions with service / warranty issues....so much so that the purchase of the K5 was done through them even though I was able to buy overseas at the time.
07-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Unfortuantely I think dropping off the camera at CRK before you can reproduce the fault on demand is like pushing **it up hill with a pointy stick. I tihnk you've got to be able to put your freshly charged over volted battery in and demonstrate the problem on demand.
07-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You all had on floppy hats too....
Were they floppy because we had bits of cork hanging from the brim on strings?

Cork hat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
CRK advised me today that they have carried out all bench tests and cannot replicate or find the fault
That translates to:

technician turned it on and took a few pictures, then placed it on a shelf for a few days/weeks and forgot about it. Then when he needed the shelf space, he gave you the advisory.

Next time it happens take a video of it happening.
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not an Aussie, don't have a mirror problem, and have nothing to add or subtract from your thread. Just wanted to say that I like the sound of that "Mirror Floppers", it just has a nice ring to it ...and I get a sort of foggy visual of a bunch of guys down by the beach somewhere in Australia all flopping together......it is not a bad sight, sort of neat really.

Anyhow, I do hope those with this issue find a solution, it is not funny and would be very annoying to say the least...but the visual I got was pretty neat! You all had on floppy hats too....

Best Regards!
Hi
Rupert, I am kind of worried you may confuse "Mirror Floppers" with "Flashers" Let me assure you, Fashers are an entirely different species and they usually don't use PENTAX but are more in for Canons and Nikons.

But on a serious note, let me also assure you that the mirror flopping bug when it hits your camera in the middle of an important shoot is a downright unpleasant experience.

Hope your cam will never catch this bug because if it does it surely will frighten Otis off his nuts and make him run for the hills.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-22-2011 at 12:47 AM.