Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Huge blue "pixel" when shooting video

I got a replacement K-5 this spring and has enjoyed it incredibly but a couple of days ago I decided to test video using an old 70-350mm Tamron manual lens.

In the video there is a huge blue dot that sits in the same spot.
I tried with other lenses but its still there.

I cant see anything like this when taking pictures.

Do I have to send this one back as well?

First pic is a 100%crop of a screencapture.
Next is the full screencap.

07-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hot pixel for sure. Running the Pixel Mapping function on the camera should make it disappear.
07-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There was (maybe it's still there, I haven't checked the latest versions) a firmware bug when recording video. The hot pixel's are not mapped out, but one can work around it by being in live view when switching to video mode. Then, for some reason, the hot pixels are removed when recording. Try it.
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

As already said, make sure u have the latest firmware and run pixel mapping.
post the results.

07-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Superb!!

Thank you guys.

I did put in a fresh battery and ran pixelmapping. Surprised that I didnt get some kind of message telling me that there has been a fixed pixel or 2?

I then tried switching into movie mode when in LW and that worked.
Tried again without being in LW and the bad pixel was back.

I havnt watched the movie on the computer but when I look at the recorded movie with the remapped pixel I still think I can see something bad were that blue pixel was before.

What exactly is pixelmapping doing? It isnt fixing the broken pixel just tells the program not to use it but what does it fill that empty pixel slot with then?
Is it a mix of the surrounding pixels?

Is there a limit to how many dead pixels Pentax considers normal?