Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lilliput 7" Monitor

Can anyone confirm that a Lilliput HD monitor will work with the K5. I want to use it to watch video on the camera as well as focusing when I take outdoor shots. It will attach to the camera vis a vis an HDMI cable and is externally powered by a battery on the back of the monitor. It has a special hotshoe mount so that it fits on top of your camera. I am pretty sure it works with cannon cameras and I would think it does for K5's as well but I am not sure. Anyone out there using one? thanks for taking the time to read my post. All responses/suggestions are mor e than welcome.

07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You might ask this guy https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jaitas.html. He has one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/123130-hd...ml#post1271709

It sounds like it works fine.
07-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Hey there is my thread again. Well it works. The problem I'm referring to can be rounded by setting the monitor to 4:3th but then you have a smaller field with blach bars left and right (only with video recording and not with other settings).
07-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tanks

Thanks guys for the great responses. I ordered a Lilliput 7" 668GL-70NPC/HY monitor this aft. I will let you know how it turn out.

08-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yahoo

Got my monitor in from Hong Kong today. I am excited to try it out.
08-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pls, once you've got it all up and running, give us a report on how it performs.
I am quite interested in the Lilliput.
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Will do. It arrived in great shape. Included an extra battery, HDMI cord, battery charger, camera hot shoe attachment, AC cord, monitor stand, sun shield and remote control. All this for $197.00 shipped to my door.

08-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple of questions

I hooked up the monitor with an HDMI cable to my K5 and have the following questions:

Do I have to use Live View to see an image on the monitor? I notice that the menu screen appears on the monitor and not on the display screen on the K5. Without hitting the "LV" button, no picture for focusing puposes etc. appear on the monitor. The viewfinder remains active.

In the K5 manual, it says you can use "Live View" for everything except video. I want to use my monitor for video. How do I do that?

I thought there was a "setting" in the menu that allowed you to use the display as a viewfinder and all the info displayed in the viewfinder would appear on the display scrren on the camera and therefore appear on the monitor.

My lens seems to be slow and have trouble autofocusing when I use "Live Screen". Right now, I am not a big fan of LV but maybe if and when I use it more I will become more comfortable with it.

Thanks for reading my post. Any and all help/suggestions is appreciated.
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you may find some assistance in this thread. I know RonHendricks has some good info there about video etc..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/146166-pentax-k-5-extern...cd-screen.html
08-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Banned

Well when using a field monitor with HDMI you don't have access to the backscreen of the camera, since it is shut down.

In Live View you can choose witch method of AF you use. It is in the menu where you can choose. Using AF-module means that the liveview is stopt, mirror flips in to give the AF module time to focus and mirror flips back and liveview is coming back, taking some time. In contrast AF everything is much slower, also depending on the lens used.

You can see all the info that is normally displayed on the backscreen now on your filedmonitor.
08-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Ron. It is much appreciated. I have watched your video a number of times and find it very informative. I guess I was kind of hoping for just "normal" shots, I could use the monitor to focus etc. without going to LV. From what you are saying, this is not the case. As you mentioned, the info screen and menu info comes up on the monitor without going to LV. I will have to review your video again to see how to focus and zoom. I am a bit confused about the zoom you show in your video. I am assumming that only the view on the monitor zooms allowing you to fine focus. The actual view through the lens does not change. Is this correct? anyway, once again thanks for your help and if there are any other suggestions that you have to make using the monitor more productive etc. please pass them on. I appreciate receiving suggestions from an "expert" in the field. thanks again Ron.
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

Well you can still watch true the viewfinder when you don't use LiveView, but then again what function is the field monitor having then, other then being a big thing hanging on your camera. Then just normal info is displayed on the monitor and you can use it to review pictures taken.

The zoom is contrast AF that zooms in on the subject, it is the same as with no fieldmonitor connected and you can see it on the backscreen of your camera (only K-5 has it). It has nothing to do with your lens.

I also use the screen to walk down a big pile of pictures when I got out to make a lot of pictures to select them.

I'm not that of an expert, I just have one
08-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks again Ron for the valuable info. You are an "expert" to me......
08-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Info

Ron, from what you have said, it would appear that in order to view items such as F Stop, ISO setting, Shutter speed, shake reduction symbol etc. and confirmation of focus (little diamond) items that you would normally see when you look through the viewfinder you must push the info button and go out of LV. Is this correct? It would be nice to get confirmation of focus when you are in LV. How do you do it? Do you just focus using the monitor in LV and shoot without any of the symbols/aids? Once again thanks for sharing your knowledge.
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Banned

Well I have used the monitor for video, but not for taking photo's. It is maybe handy when you do macro's and manual focus, but that is something I never do.

When not in liveview or moviemode you can press the info button and look at the different thing like you mention. It is then just a larger screen then the one on your camera.

Just play with it, it won't bite you