Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
we have beer everywhere

as for driving 90 miles.. well, firstly I am a woman and I hate driving in cities... I have no idea where there is a camera shop as sad as that sounds.... secondly I have a 2 yr old... and I would rather go to the dentists than drive 180 miles in one day with her in the car with me. LOL. But I havent bought a bit of produce all summer that hasnt come from local farmers, I buy local meat thru a small, family owned grocery store that I get 95% of all my food that I dont purchase from the produce stands... I try to do my part in my house to support local, family owned businesses. BUT... I work only part time as a nurse, and photographer on the side, my husband is an autobody mechanic (in a local business) and I have to budget things! so... if amazon is going to save me a tank of gas, and a few hundred dollars then amazon it is... but I promise to support my local businesses and keep my neighbors happy
Now let me get this strait, you have a two year old kid that needs schooling in a few years which is paid by taxpayers. All thought you only spend your money on food in your local area which is tax free. Now you want to make a major purchase which is not a necessity and send your tax dollars out of the State. Amazon is not going to pay a teacher in your state.

Buy internet loose a ( you fill in the blank )

Last edited by bobva; 07-21-2011 at 10:39 PM.
07-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
gee, this thread sure went in a different direction.

...and in other news, amazon.com now sells BEER.
07-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobva Quote
Now let me get this strait, you have a two year old kid that needs schooling in a few years which is paid by taxpayers. All thought you only spend your money on food in your local area which is tax free. Now you want to make a major purchase which is not a necessity and send your tax dollars out of the State. Amazon is not going to pay a teacher in your state.

Buy internet loose a ( you fill in the blank )
Please take your politics and ....well.....take them to another area.
07-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

My Favorite camera shop is about 90 miles from my house. oneway
My favorite fishing tackle shop is 45 miles from my house. oneway
My mechanic is 84 miles from my house. oneway

I live in the sticks too, 14 miles for a six pack of beer round trip

Well then you are very lucky to have a camera shop, let alone a 'favorite' camera shop only 90 miles away.

For me, and might be the case for the OP, is the nearest Pentax dealer I could find through searches is 255 miles away.

Let's see what else.....
Nearest hospital 29 miles away
Nearest grocery store 27 miles away

The OP says that there is no place to buy this anywhere locally which is the same situation for me. So why are you still insisting that she buy it locally when that is impossible?

07-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I pay my school taxes. right now I have an almost 2K check written out to my tax collector STRICTLY for school taxes. Thanks for your concern though

stormtech, thanks. my point exactly. We pay our bills, our taxes (which are high enough that no teacher is going to go unpaid... we are middle class, have a middle class home and have almost 2k worth of school taxes.. my inlaws/parents have no kids and pay almost 3K for their school taxes... THIS IS NOT PROPERTY TAXES.. that is a seperate tax!) and I am prettty sure these freshly remodeled schools are doing fine. We are a farmers town, and I support the farmers.. I support local businesses when needed. there is a time and a place for places like amazon.

I really do appreciate the suggestions and opinions on the matter. I did get the extended 2 yr warranty and am excited to have that! I didnt know about it till it was suggested here. My k-5 should be here on monday!
07-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Congratulations on pulling the trigger!

I am so close right now.....just trying to juggle some funds to make it happen.

I also learned about the extra warranty from this thread and I appreciate that.

Please let us know your initial thoughts when you receive it.
07-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Absolutly! I plan on reading up here till it comes on monday... I have a few shoots coming up early August and hope to be able to use the K-5. My Kx will be so jealous

07-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sidenote.. there was some confusion about the warranty earlier on this thread, it is an extended 2 yr, so with the manufacturers warranty it is 3 yrs total
07-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #24

Anazon best service

I got my K5 from Amazon and it had stains. They sent me a new one and told me to send the 1st back AFTER i got the new one! As far as I know that beats any other service on earth. The new one is perfect...had it for a couple months....good stuff!
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I got my K5 from Amazon and it had stains. They sent me a new one and told me to send the 1st back AFTER i got the new one! As far as I know that beats any other service on earth. The new one is perfect...had it for a couple months....good stuff!
similarly, the first Tamron zoom i received did not focus perfectly, so Amazon actually overnighted a replacement to me and when i was sure the second copy was good, i sent back the other. Then silly me left my new 77mm UV filter on the lens sent back...amazon simply gave me a 100% credit to buy the same filter from them. I was amazed at how great that worked out.

congrats on the purchase!
07-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well here's my opinion NEVER will I buy anything off the internet that I can buy at a local shop.
With all the outsourcing of american jobs overseas Why the *&^% would I want to outsource my neighbor, and deny my neighborhood the circle of money that i earned that money in.

Buy internet save a buck Loose a neighbor.

Now If I cant buy a brand new Pentax K-5 local to me Ill buy something else.

Also I Hate buying at Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes. BUT at least they employ a nieghbor.
I sort of agree...but the world is what it is and we won't change it. Money trumps most everything and a few dollars saved most often wins the battle. I hate Walmart, Home Depot and such too....but Mom & Pop stores are not coming back, so we have to live with it.

I tried to outsource some of my Squirrels to China......spent a bundle on packaging and freight........they ate most of them in Stir Fry Squirrel and Veggies....and sent Otis back with a note that said never send this guy back here again or we will declare war. Apparently Otis did not like his hosts all that much...no telling what damage he caused, but the note said "better send earthquake than this Otis".

Regards!
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Favorite camera shop is about 90 miles from my house. oneway
My favorite fishing tackle shop is 45 miles from my house. oneway
My mechanic is 84 miles from my house. oneway

I live in the sticks too, 14 miles for a six pack of beer round trip
I wouldn't really call these your neighbors. Shouldn't you feel justified ordering online from any store that's in your state at that point?
07-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
Absolutly! I plan on reading up here till it comes on monday... I have a few shoots coming up early August and hope to be able to use the K-5. My Kx will be so jealous
Here is what I do - download the manual and read to your hearts content awaiting the arrival.

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
07-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
I believe the Adorama extended warranty is only for 2 years on the camera, not three.
You're right. It's 2 yrs for $19.95. I was thinking the one yr which comes with Pentax + the 2 yr Extended makes it 3 yrs total.

I live about 120 miles from San Francisco. I found one store which would sell it for @ $1,700 + Tax @ $150. Add $100 for gas, tolls and the price would have been close to $2,000.

From my little computer, I got it in 2 days with a great guarantee if I had any problem. If I purchased from SF and there was a problem, then add on another $100.

I saved myself @ $800 and it's not like the folks at the camera shop were my friends or family.

Now if I lived near NY, I would make the trip and buy from Adorama as they are 1st class.

B&H is larger, and some times the prices are even lower. However, I've had nothing but problems with them on every level. I would have hated to had to deal with them if there was something wrong with a K5 I purchased from them. YMMV

So, from my experience, the saving, and knowing I'm purchasing from Amazon out weights any argument someone would try and make about putting a neighbor out of work.

Oh, and one of my neighbors works for UPS, so I'm saving jobs by purchasing from Amazon.

Let me add that Amazon also has a plan that if you pay it off in 12 months, then there is no interest rate. Have fun with your new K5. While bobva is out polluting the air driving all over America to buy a 6 pack, you'll be taking pictures. ;-)

Last edited by glee46; 07-22-2011 at 09:36 AM.
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I live in SF...

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I live about 120 miles from San Francisco. I found one store which would sell it for @ $1,700 + Tax @ $150. Add $100 for gas, tolls and the price would have been close to $2,000.
...I live in SF and I couldn't find a camera shop that stocked any Pentax. (There may be a tourist camera shop where you could be suckered into a grey market item - I don't know.) The camera shop that I purchased a Pentax P & S off of 12-14 years ago stopped carrying Pentax when Hoya purchased it. The camera shop that has been in SF for 50+ years dosen't carry Pentax.

Fry's electronics stocks K-R's in black and red with the kit 18-55 lens only. The closest Fry's is 25 miles away from SF. They are priced competively with Adorama and B & H.

I purchased from B & H. I actually returned a K-7 within 30 days to get a K-5. No questions asked and free shipping one way. I guess that I blew $14 shipping on the way back on that one.

I am all for buying locally, but I am also all for reality.