Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I was going to say stick with Nikon until I read this. I think your points here define a big reason Pentax is appealing to us. The K-5 is the smallest high-end body around and Pentax ergonomics are tough to beat. The way Pentax cameras handle ISO in general is top notch (auto ISO is dependable, and ISO button + scroll wheel + green button is nice if you need to control it).

I think I would miss that 24mm f1.4 for sure. I wish we had more ultra fast glass in Pentax land, but we do have nice small well constructed equipment like the Limiteds.

I'm also interested in the x100. That optical viewfinder considering the small size of the camera looks amazing.

I am thinking about K-5+21mm+55mm 1.4 set up. K-5 and 21mm both combine only 27 oz vs X100 Approx. 14 Oz with the hood.. 27 OZ is totally fine with me. I am gonna go out with my D7000 and 35mm to feel the weight. I'll keep u posted

07-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bob13bob Quote
with ricoh just buying pentax, and pentax glass costing more despite not having built in autofocus > high new lens prices. I would definitely not switch, or at least wait for awhile.
What does that mean? Do you mean not having in-lens motors?

As for Ricoh buying Pentax, I'd take that as a positive. Hoya wanted Pentax for medical imaging, not cameras. They merely kept it going until they could sell it. Ricoh has always been a niche camera maker, like Pentax is now. I think it's a great match.

As for the switch, it's down to personal preference of the OP. Both are great cameras with plusses and minusses. Obviously, I like the K5, but I've recommend the D7000 to friends as well.

TBH, since the OP is going to also get the X100, I'd probably stick with the D7000 since you'll have a nice piece of compact kit the the X100. The K5 is great with the limited lenses and such. Well, actually it's just great all around.
07-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

How about running two systems? Works well for me. Actually for the fast 24mm I was holding on the Canon exactly for this reason. Now I have acquired an FA*24 in very good condition. f2 is not f1,4 but it is also smaller in size and lighter. Works well for me.
07-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It seems that you are already very clear with what you want (ie. more compact system). I must say that this is the unique selling point of Pentax DSLRs(smalller DSLR bodies; smaller lenses)

Performance wise, they are about the same on paper. I've not seen D7K image samples that suggest its in any better than the K5. In fact I find the K5 noise to be very fine gained and well controlled for chroma noise.

I suspect D7k is slightly faster in AF coupled with good ring motor lenses. This is via observation of how it lock focus (or maybe the K5 is just nosier with screw drive lenses). In terms of actual photo samples I have, I've not seen focus accuracy to be any better though.

You seem to have good lenses on the Nikon. There is no 24/1.4 equivalent to Pentax. You'd have to look for a FA*24/2 or a DA21/3.2 ltd. For Pentax, many lenses are a balance/trade-off between size, weight, performance, speed.

07-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wishlf Quote
I am thinking about K-5+21mm+55mm 1.4 set up. K-5 and 21mm both combine only 27 oz vs X100 Approx. 14 Oz with the hood.. 27 OZ is totally fine with me. I am gonna go out with my D7000 and 35mm to feel the weight. I'll keep u posted
I don't have any experience with the 21mm, but I really like my DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM. It's a great lens for doing manual focus with as it has a large smooth focus ring. The autofocus motor is slow, but accurate. The lens itself is sharp and high contrast. I also think 55mm is a great focal length on APS-C cameras, I prefer it a lot more than a straight 50mm.

I'd say spring for a DA 40mm f2.8 lens as well. 40mm on APS-C isn't an ideal focal length, but the size of the lens and pancake style sharpness curve are unique and useful. I find myself taking that lens over others when I want a powerful snapshot setup (40mm LTD + K-5).
07-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I don't have any experience with the 21mm, but I really like my DA* 55mm f1.4 SDM. It's a great lens for doing manual focus with as it has a large smooth focus ring. The autofocus motor is slow, but accurate. The lens itself is sharp and high contrast. I also think 55mm is a great focal length on APS-C cameras, I prefer it a lot more than a straight 50mm.

I'd say spring for a DA 40mm f2.8 lens as well. 40mm on APS-C isn't an ideal focal length, but the size of the lens and pancake style sharpness curve are unique and useful. I find myself taking that lens over others when I want a powerful snapshot setup (40mm LTD + K-5).
It has great review indeed. I just realized Pentax has so many good review except it's bit slow, but it compromise for the size though. I have to read more reviews and decide on which one to get. Did u get the x100? I am thinking about getting K-5+21mm which comes to 27 oz instead of X100's 15 oz. Money saved can use toward other lens maybe a 70 F/2.4. Still deciding tho.
07-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
It seems that you are already very clear with what you want (ie. more compact system). I must say that this is the unique selling point of Pentax DSLRs(smalller DSLR bodies; smaller lenses)

Performance wise, they are about the same on paper. I've not seen D7K image samples that suggest its in any better than the K5. In fact I find the K5 noise to be very fine gained and well controlled for chroma noise.

I suspect D7k is slightly faster in AF coupled with good ring motor lenses. This is via observation of how it lock focus (or maybe the K5 is just nosier with screw drive lenses). In terms of actual photo samples I have, I've not seen focus accuracy to be any better though.

You seem to have good lenses on the Nikon. There is no 24/1.4 equivalent to Pentax. You'd have to look for a FA*24/2 or a DA21/3.2 ltd. For Pentax, many lenses are a balance/trade-off between size, weight, performance, speed.
I am sure it's all about the photographer, cameras and lenses are just tools. Photos taken with D7000 with 24 1.4 G won't be better than any cheaper lens unless pixel peep. I am just shooting for fun. When I go shooting, I rather enjoy carrying lighter gear and enjoy the process. I guess you're right. I already know what I want.

07-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and some small primes. It will give you exactly what you are seeking; a small, lightweight DSLR with top quality compact primes. This is what Pentax does best so I think if that's what you're looking for I think you'll be very happy with Pentax. Now all you have to do is choose which couple of prime lenses to buy, I'm not much help there because as you can see I'm indecisive so I just kept buying

07-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking about to trade my D7000 for K-5, for it's more robust and smaller body, and the Pentax color is also appealing me. One concern is that when I shoot D7000, I have 24mm 1.4 G as my favorite lens. Is there a Pentax equivalent? How does the Tamron 17-50 compare to Pentax 16-50mm. Another dumb question, is it a good decision to switch? I have 4 Nikon lenses. Thanks!
Hi Wish,

I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of difference between the D7000 and the K5 in terms of IQ. Pentax does apply some NR even to RAW files at higher ISO settings, but seem to have done a superb job of it. By all accounts, the K5 retains very similar levels of detail to the D7000 with less noise at higher ISO settings.

DR between the two is similar, but once again, I think the K5 might be a tiny bit better, but at the end of the day, a given copy of either camera could test better than the other, they are that close.

There is a close equivalent to the Nikon 24, it is the FA 24 f2.0. It is out of production, but there is one on Ebay right now. It seems to be about 1/2 the price of your Nikon.The 24 does not come up that often, so if you are serious about moving to the K5 and want a 24, you should take a look at that listing.

Otherwise, the 31 F1.8 LTD is a superb lens. It is a bit longer than your 24 and slightly slower, but it will not disappoint in the IQ area. If you like primes and want a compact kit, the 31 LTD works well as a normal lens, and the 77 LTD makes for a great fast portrait lens. Most would rate the 77 as even better than the 31, I think.

The 43 LTD is a real compact gem with stellar IQ, but it is a bit long on APS for general use.

I do not have the Tamron 17-50 and have not heard much about it, but the 16-50 is the lens most often found on my K5 (and the K20 before that and the K10 before that). Note that I have all of the lenses I listed above and a few more but I reach for the 16-50 most often. It is quite good overall, but a bit weak at the wide end wide open. A very good all-around zoom combo is the 16-50 and 50-135. The 50-135 is superb, and the set makes a very good wedding pair, for example.

By most accounts, the Nikon has better AF in some conditions, and a better flash system than the Pentax PTTL once you figure out all of the complexities of the Nikon system and get the settings right for a given situation.

The Pentax QC issues have been beaten to death, but there have been too many problems with the latest cameras, that's for sure. On the other hand, from what I have read, there were more than a few with the D7000 as well.

Lastly, until the K5 came around, and even then until the front focus issue in low tungsten light was sorted out, I was close to moving to Nikon after being with Pentax since 1978. The K20 was a good camera for it's time, but the K7 took a bit of a step back in IQ (IQ is far and away #1 for me), and the K20 was letting me down at times in the AF area.

The K5 addressed all of my concerns and other than a bit of frustration with some flash quirkiness at times, I do not see why I would need anything more than the K5 for the foreseeable future.

Ray
07-23-2011, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
To come out and say K5 is plagued by QC problems is absolute rubbish.
Anyone who has owned a K-5 and experienced QC issues has every right, just like anyone else, to voice their opinion about the product.

To come out and say they are rubbish just because your copy has not had problems is pure garbage. You do not have any more right to voice your opinion without giving the same right to others.
07-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Anyone who has owned a K-5 and experienced QC issues has every right, just like anyone else, to voice their opinion about the product.

To come out and say they are rubbish just because your copy has not had problems is pure garbage. You do not have any more right to voice your opinion without giving the same right to others.
I'd certainly be a defender of the rights of those with problems to voice them.....if anyone was more vocal about K5 defects than me several months back, you tell me their name.....because I don't believe it.

However, now that most major problems have been addressed and are not showing up with any regularity, I think it is only fair to say that the K5 is probably no more problem prone than the other new models of other brands. Certainly the D7000 has its share. As long as we are not implying that all K5's are defective or even a large number, then it seems fair enough to complain about a specific K5...if it is yours. Otherwise, any complaints should be rooted in an admission that the vast number of K5 shooters are not reporting any problems...because they aren't!

I'll tell you this, I'd be very unhappy if I did not have the K5 I own, it is one hell of a fine camera. For those that can't say that, I have the utmost sympathy and regret...and hope their issues are promptly resolved.

The new owners at Ricoh will hopefully be fully aware of the consequences of shoddy QC and we won't see this sort of situation again...but there will always be some problems, it is just unavoidable with electronics.....3-4 hundred million dollar planes crash due to faulty electronics every so often...it just happens.

Best Regards!
07-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It has great review indeed. I just realized Pentax has so many good review except it's bit slow, but it compromise for the size though. I have to read more reviews and decide on which one to get. Did u get the x100? I am thinking about getting K-5+21mm which comes to 27 oz instead of X100's 15 oz. Money saved can use toward other lens maybe a 70 F/2.4. Still deciding tho.
I haven't bought a x100. It's more than I can spend on one piece of equipment at the moment. I actually bought a old camera as a backup just recently though. It is the first Pentax DSLR called the *ist D. While it's a bit slow, it makes up for that by being really small and functional. I have my DA 40mm f2.8 Limited attached to it at the moment.

I'm also thinking about eventually getting a fast telephoto. I'd love a 85mm f1.4, but that is out of production and the used price is very expensive. Besides that there is the 70mm f2.4 you mentioned and the 77mm f1.8. It's difficult....the 77mm is so appealing, but more expensive and it doesn't have quick-shift.
07-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...I think it is only fair to say that the K5 is probably no more problem prone than the other new models of other brands. Certainly the D7000 has its share.
What are the current issues D7000 has? K-5 yet to sort out FF issues indoor and it's unlikely to be completely fixed as it's a hardware limitation as discussed in some other threads here. Mirror flops is still the problem with k-5. Unless these issues get resolved completely, it's difficult to say that k-5 is a better camera than D7000, keeping apart superior AF D7000 has to offer.

I am thinking about to trade my D7000 for K-5, for it's more robust and smaller body, and the Pentax color is also appealing me.
Only reason for trade would be to use Pentax limited lenses and color they render. If you plan to use zooms or any third party lenses, you wont see any IQ or color difference.
07-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
What are the current issues D7000 has? K-5 yet to sort out FF issues indoor and it's unlikely to be completely fixed as it's a hardware limitation as discussed in some other threads here. Mirror flops is still the problem with k-5. Unless these issues get resolved completely, it's difficult to say that k-5 is a better camera than D7000, keeping apart superior AF D7000 has to offer.

Only reason for trade would be to use Pentax limited lenses and color they render. If you plan to use zooms or any third party lenses, you wont see any IQ or color difference.
Sounds like all k5's have these problems.....you have to know that is just not the case or anywhere near the case. The vast majority of K5 owners report no problems...let's just keep it honest.
The D7000 has several problems currently, but again, the vast majority report no problems. It is not like buyers of either camera are guaranteed a problem....that is not anywhere near accurate. The question is, do you have a problem with your K5? Most all answer that with an emphatic No!

It is fair to compare the two cameras, and I think the K5 has features that give it the edge...but that is my just take on it. I would not tell anyone not to buy a D7000 because it was riddled with problems, that would be dishonest. Same with the K5...and dishonesty is not an attribute in any circle.
Regards!
07-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote

Hmm, never heard of those issues, I'll look into that. The lens line up currently on my mind is 15mm F/4.0, one of the 31mm F/1.8, 35mm Macro F/2.0 & 40mm F/2.8 and a 77mm F/1.8