Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

RAW-- PEF vs DNG... difference?

Hi! Reading up on the manual and page 60 mentions PEF and DNG both being RAW files, but DNG being designed by adobe systems. No other info is offered though. I havent ever used DNG being that I have a kx now (k-5 on the way, yay). What are the advantages of DNG in adobe? I have CS5. THanks!

07-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNG works in Adobe systems where sometimes PEF doesn't. Otherwise, I have not found any differences in processing? Haven't heard much on this lately, but I think there is little or no real difference. DNG is supposed to be a universal Raw as I understand it?
Someone else may want to elaborate....
Regards!
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Recent post...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/146235-dng-vs-pentax-raw-format.html

DNG stores the adjustments in the same file, PEFs use a small separate file for that information.
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ahh, ok, so do most use PEF or DNG.... or maybe I should just read the link before I ask, he he. THanks! Be prepaired for a few more questions from me as I wait for my new baby.. I mean, camera. LOL. thanks!

07-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes, the link clears that up. thanks again
07-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Recent post...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/146235-dng-vs-pentax-raw-format.html

DNG stores the adjustments in the same file, PEFs use a small separate file for that information.
I use PEF now as they are smaller files than DNG out of the K-5. I've never seen or used a sidecar file with PEFs
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #7

I shoot in PEF. I copy the PEF files to a backup folder on my backup hard drive, then use Adobe Bridge to convert the PEF to DNG, which is the file I process in Adobe Camera Raw. That way, I have both versions available on two different hard drives.

07-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used PEFs since I purchased the K10, briefly tried DNG, then went back to PEFs - I think mostly due to file size or something about the image itself I didn't like - can't quite remember now.

Recently though, when I couldn't get the K5 PEF files to show in CS4 Bridge, I decided to reconsider DNG.

Smeggypants, if file size is the only consideration, you might want to take a closer look at converting from PEF to DNG out of camera. After today's wedding event, I converted all images to DNG using Adobe's free DNG Converter. I was surprised when the DNG folder showed a 2+ gig reduction in folder size overall (converted PEFs were 1-2 Meg smaller each).
07-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I use PEF now as they are smaller files than DNG out of the K-5. I've never seen or used a sidecar file with PEFs
With Elements, a 7K-size .xmp file is created when you convert a PEF to a jpg. It holds the adjustments made in the conversion (WB, tint, contrast, brightness, etc), but not things such as rotation, dust spotting, cloning, etc.
07-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have used exclusively DNG files. Many versions ago, I couldn't get my photoshop editor of choice (Photoshop Elements) to work with the PEF format. File size used to be a concern
but monster HD on the computer, unlimited backup space with my Carbonite online backup service, very large SDHC cards available, and support for even larger SDXC cards the compression ratio of the RAW image is not my priority.

MOre to the point is which file format do I think will still be supported and accessible 20years from now.....?

I see the PEF format as a Pentax proprietary format that will disappear if Pentax does, while
I see the DNG format as a raw format with open standards, but promoted by ADOBE.
AS between the two, I have bet that the DNG format will remain usable and accessable longer that the private Pentax format.

I drew this conclusion from the top of page 203 of the Pentax K5 manual. If I'm wrong I'd sure like to know it. To me the really big issue with computer technology is is keeping the stuff around and accessible. I've been using computers for 30 years now and about the 15 years of materials I collected are now lost to me because evolving computer technology made it inaccessible.

If any of our photos are going to be enjoyed by our grandchildren, we need to be very thoughtful about the formats and storage methods of our images.