Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You go Charlie! Otis will be watching your back, so just snap away!
Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]

08-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #32
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
I just opened my new K-5 in the last hour......new battery is charging, but took the charged batt out of the old K-7 and am making test shots now.....

I paid 1299 from Adorama and got 2 extra years warranty for 19.95....
Have fun with it, Dave! And if you need any after-sales support - now or in the future - don't forget that I'm only ever an email away: Helen@adorama.com
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The camera is a piece of work.Here's a shot nothing special really but it was taken at ISO 12800 1/500 f/8.The firepower is there if you need it.--charliezap
Attached Images

Last edited by charliezap; 08-01-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot pic
08-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reasonably clear - but don't forget you can still use lower ISOs for even better results (you didn't really need 1/500sec for this shot)

08-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You go Charlie! Otis will be watching your back, so just snap away!
Regards!

[/url] [/IMG]
After reading these threads, I think it's time to get a K-5.

Last edited by violini; 08-02-2011 at 08:34 AM.
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Reasonably clear - but don't forget you can still use lower ISOs for even better results (you didn't really need 1/500sec for this shot)
My main objective for this outing was to grab a couple of shots at the high ISO just to see how the camera responds and I wasn't disappointed in the least.1600-3200 would have been a good choice but I had to see what this baby could do with the pedal to the metal.--charliezap
08-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Who Needs Flash???

Yes, the K5 is a major upgrade from my K7.........who needs flash any more?

I didn't really realize the significant power of the K7 sensor until just playing around in my living room at night with 1 light bulb on.....

I'm now doubly excited about my decision to get the K5 now instead of waiting....

BTW: Don't jump on the "who needs flash" comment. I know it's needed sometimes, but I'm a natural light guy, so I won't be using it very often....

08-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

With the exception of studio lighting, flash usually just sucks big time. Yes, it is true, the K5 most often kills the need for flash. Even at high ISO it still looks better than flash to my eyes.
Regards!
08-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
With the exception of studio lighting, flash usually just sucks big time. Yes, it is true, the K5 most often kills the need for flash. Even at high ISO it still looks better than flash to my eyes.
Regards!
Correction - On Camera Flash sucks big time.
Off Camera.. different kettle of fish... its not Speedlites that are ugly - its using them on-axis that is...

Plus ISO just handles ambient light and thats that It doesn't let you control light.. which is quite often what I do with flashes... create light where there wasn't otherwise light, gel'ed to match ambient, etc etc... no deer in the headlights look here thanks

You can't make this image with High ISO - theres four speedlites at work here and some coloured gels... and it aint 'studio lighting' 'cause its shot in an otherwise pitch black Pedestrian Tunnel No amount of ISO would have made this
(yeah sorry - shot on a K20D and not a K5 and badly at that.. but you get my point I hope and every thread is better with Off-Camera Flash Pictures )

Last edited by adr1an; 08-02-2011 at 06:34 AM.
08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Adr1an is absolutely right.

Once Otis finds out that he could be fed 24/7 instead of just during daylight, Rupert will be headed out to find a cheap manual flash. Striking squirrels are nothing one wants to mess with as our cats have found out.

The scene below was almost black the other night. While one can pull back some of the detail with the K5, you can only go so far. I used a long exposure and walked around the truck giving it splashes of light with a handheld YN-460 II flash, all of $45 at Amazon, not to give shameless plugs

The biggest problem i had was finding the tripod and camera after the hand painting. black on black is hard to see. Seriously considering some fluorescent tape on that tripod.

Oh yeah, cheers to Adr1an on his tunnel pic, its obvious you don't need a studio
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #41

I am really jealous...if all goes well I might be able to get my K5 by Christmas! I have a FA 43 LTD that is itching to jump ship from the the K10D.