Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-7 has worse IQ, and it really starts to show after a while with the K-5- so no, I wouldn't keep both, but instead try to get as much for the K-7 as possible until it falls in value.
I must respectfully disagree with Adam.

Having owned both cameras (I still own my K-7) I would say that the IQ difference between the K-7 and K-5 is--unless shooting at high ISOs--marginal.

However, the reliability of the K-7 is greatly superior to the K-5 (despite what the fan-boys say). Do you want to be without your camera for weeks while it (the K-5) is in for repair?

Keep the K-7.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 07-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.
07-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I dont have the K-5 but reading this thread makes me feel......outdated
I hate that....I feel that I am too boisterous of the K5 at times...most times...but honestly, I can't help it....the K5 is simply amazing to me. I love everything about it.

A little truth won't kill me though....I have Alligator hide, always have had it. If you get thrown in the dirt enough times, you get tough or you get lost. I never got the hang of getting lost!

The truth.....most Shooters here at PF can beat the daylights out of my shooting with a D or DS. I've seen the shots, I'm not blind, just old and loud mouthed, but my eyes are excellent. There is that "fun factor" on the K5 that is hard to explain, but you will not all of a sudden become a better shooter with the K5...I am living proof. But...you will be amazed, and you will have fun you never had before! Otis guarantees that!

Beat Regards!
07-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It is amazing reading threads like this, whatever did we do before the K-5? LOL. I've got a new K-5 now and it is awesome. My old K-x may feel cheap and lack the controls and features, but in IQ it is not embarrassed by the mighty K-5. It's a shame the K-7 came out with the "wrong" sensor, and not the K-x sensor, but at least now we have a worthy flagship in features, build and IQ.
07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Man, what good input from you all.............thanks.................me thinks I'll just get the k-5 now and worry about the K-3 in a few years......

Thanks again!

07-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thread makes me think of MikeP, who has both cameras but seems to still shoot a lot of his macro images with the K7, which he seems to favour for 'everyday' use. I can't tell which camera he has shot his images on unless they're high iso.
07-25-2011, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just don't think there is as big a difference as people say. Iso 1600 is decent (not great) on the K7, the K5 is about a stop to stop and a half better, although its images clean up better than the K7.

K7 (at 1600 iso)

K5 (at iso 1000)

Both are decent. There is much more shadow detail in the K5 than the K7 and that is nice if you underexpose, but I just don't really care which camera I pick up most of the time to go out shooting.
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I agree. Certainly the K-5 is better... but it's not like the K-7 is God-awful. Perhaps to people who came to photography in the digital age, any noise is intolerable. But to photographers of a certain age, who came up during the film era, the K-7 is a perfectly workable imaging tool. If I had both a K-5 and a K-7, I'd keep both. The fact that both cameras share a control interface makes it a slam-dunk.

07-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #23

I plan to keep my K-x when I obtain my K-5 in a month or so. The plan is to use my K-x in areas where high ISO is required and my K-5 for premium shooting opportunities.
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MacRider71 Quote
I plan to keep my K-x when I obtain my K-5 in a month or so. The plan is to use my K-x in areas where high ISO is required and my K-5 for premium shooting opportunities.
The K-5 is actually better than the K-x at high ISO though. Did you mean to say the K-7?
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-7 has worse IQ, and it really starts to show after a while with the K-5- so no, I wouldn't keep both, but instead try to get as much for the K-7 as possible until it falls in value.

This difference becomes even more apparent when comparing the K-7 and the K-5 to higher-end cameras - that's my take.
I agree 100%. The K7 is a great camera, but once you get the K5, it's hard to think of the K7 in the same light. I now use my K10D as my back up. If the value of the K7 was much lower than when I sold it, I would have kept it.

Time is running out on getting the most for the K7. If you can't sell it for more than $500, then I would keep it.
07-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #26
Forum Member

I kept my K-7, B&H was only going to give me $550 at the most for it with comparably low shutter count and that was with the two basic lenses! Some of my favorite shots are from my K-7, very happy with IQ except at high ISO... its a dependable back up and as noted it has had a solid build record.
07-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #27

Well I had the K-x and K-5, just sold my K-x because in my opinion K-5 overcomes in every aspect.
Dunno about K-7 though.
07-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went ahead and ordered the K-5 today from ADORAMA.....$1299........will be selling the old K-7 back to them once I receive the new one............I know I could save $$ doing it another way, but this is very painless and I get the K-5 ASAP!
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kept the K7 because It's been around the world and has taken a lot of great pictures. The clincher is it uses the same battery as the K5 so it's a super back up.
07-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #30

+ on that Bro..

I agree 100%...

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I must respectfully disagree with Adam.

Having owned both cameras (I still own my K-7) I would say that the IQ difference between the K-7 and K-5 is--unless shooting at high ISOs--marginal.

However, the reliability of the K-7 is greatly superior to the K-5 (despite what the fan-boys say). Do you want to be without your camera for weeks while it (the K-5) is in for repair?

Keep the K-7.