Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k20d to k5

It looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on the k5.My co-worker wants the k20d with the 18-55mm lens but what is a fair price for both of us.I'll throw in an extra battery if it isn't compatible with the k5. I'm thinking $450-What do you think?--charliezap

07-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sounds like a bargain for him to me. The K20D is a superb camera, and a real solid workhorse that delivers great IQ...fully equal to my K5....just lacking in the other capabilities of the very advanced K5.

Best Regards!

It was Otis that pushed you over the edge...right? You can tell us, we won't laugh at you, you won't be the first or last that has been "Otis Persuaded"!

Right Otis?
[IMG] [/IMG]
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sounds like a bargain for him to me. The K20D is a superb camera, and a real solid workhorse that delivers great IQ...fully equal to my K5....just lacking in the other capabilities of the very advanced K5.

Best Regards!

It was Otis that pushed you over the edge...right? You can tell us, we won't laugh at you, you won't be the first or last that has been "Otis Persuaded"!

Right Otis?
[/url] [/IMG]
It seems like a bargain for him but is it too much of a bargain? Every buck that I save is one less that I have to pay for the K5.--charlie(cheap)zap
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...delivers great IQ...fully equal to my K5....
You can't be serious? K20D IQ equal to the K5? No way! OK, Maybe at ISO 100, but no way at ISO 25600. LOL!

07-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

$450 with the kit lens and 2nd battery is a reasonable price (if a little on the high side, only by $20-30) - considering it is someone you know, I wouldn't ask for more or less than that. I just sold mine with 2 batteries (both Pentax batteries), the original battery grip and a wireless Pentax remote F (no kit lens) for $450, however after fees and shipping I only got about $418 for it. The battery grip is worth $20-30 more than the kit lens (which routinely sells under $50). So, I would be honest with him, show him some sold listings here at the forum (and ebay if you want), and he can decide whether it is fair - I think $450 is reasonable, with both batteries (they aren't compatible w/K5 anyway).
07-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
$450 with the kit lens and 2nd battery is a reasonable price (if a little on the high side, only by $20-30) - considering it is someone you know, I wouldn't ask for more or less than that. I just sold mine with 2 batteries (both Pentax batteries), the original battery grip and a wireless Pentax remote F (no kit lens) for $450, however after fees and shipping I only got about $418 for it. The battery grip is worth $20-30 more than the kit lens (which routinely sells under $50). So, I would be honest with him, show him some sold listings here at the forum (and ebay if you want), and he can decide whether it is fair - I think $450 is reasonable, with both batteries (they aren't compatible w/K5 anyway).
Thanks for the feedback.I'll probably tell him $425-that way everyone should be happy.---charliezap
07-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think that is spot on - I sold my olympus e-pl1 to a co-worker as well, he really enjoys it and I asked a fair price - you know the K20d is a good camera, if you pass it on for a fair deal to a friend, everyone is happy!

07-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
You can't be serious? K20D IQ equal to the K5? No way! OK, Maybe at ISO 100, but no way at ISO 25600. LOL!
Hello Al! You never had a wonderful K20D....and yes, I stand by that...until you start pushing that ISO......above 800 the K5 leaves it, but until somewhere in that area...or maybe a little higher....the K20D shines brightly. I bet we have some K20D shooters that can back that up?

Have you shown your recent portraits over here? You should, they are excellent!

Best Regards!
07-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello Al! You never had a wonderful K20D....and yes, I stand by that...until you start pushing that ISO......above 800 the K5 leaves it, but until somewhere in that area...or maybe a little higher....the K20D shines brightly. I bet we have some K20D shooters that can back that up?
Best Regards!
I agree. However, below ISO 800 (or at any ISO) the K20D's light meter is not nearly as good as the K5s. OTOH, nothing fails on the damned camera. I have even dropped it 3 feet onto pavement, and not even a button fell off. I hate the damned thing.
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having just made the jump myself, I have to say that I feel there is a massive difference between the K5 and K20 in certain circumstances. Autofocus (especially in low light) is "slow" on the K5 in situations I would have never even gotten a lock with the K20.

Being able to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200 has increased my "keeper" rate by 2 or 3x. It gives me 2-3 stops (at least one aperture, one shutter speed) increase, which is all the difference in lower light. With a flash, shooting at the higher ISO results in much faster recycling, making me catch more shots.

In daylight, being able to shoot 7 frames per second has made a huge difference capturing the right moment and being able to get a clean frame with slow shutter speeds.

I LOVE the ergonomics of the K20, but the dedicated ISO button on the K5 is great. Sorry, for me there is no going back, this is a BIG difference in cameras (much bigger than going K10 to K7).
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rude Quote
Having just made the jump myself, I have to say that I feel there is a massive difference between the K5 and K20 in certain circumstances. Autofocus (especially in low light) is "slow" on the K5 in situations I would have never even gotten a lock with the K20.

Being able to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200 has increased my "keeper" rate by 2 or 3x. It gives me 2-3 stops (at least one aperture, one shutter speed) increase, which is all the difference in lower light. With a flash, shooting at the higher ISO results in much faster recycling, making me catch more shots.

In daylight, being able to shoot 7 frames per second has made a huge difference capturing the right moment and being able to get a clean frame with slow shutter speeds.

I LOVE the ergonomics of the K20, but the dedicated ISO button on the K5 is great. Sorry, for me there is no going back, this is a BIG difference in cameras (much bigger than going K10 to K7).
Jumping from the K20 to the K5 was a much larger leap than I thought!
The way the settings are 'done', the massiveness if them and the new button lay-out ware so 'new' to me...
Actually, the K5's possibilities are so extended that one might get lost in the menu.
The different USER settings and the way the different files can be named are a real improvement! Not to mention the IQ, the ISO and the 7 frames shooting rate...
After all, once submerged in to the use of this camera, I realized that the K5 is a much better machine than the already so good K20!
07-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 is a significant move from the K20D. I did it too and feel an improvement in just about every aspect of its performance.

The batteries aren't transferrable though.
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from K20d to K5 myself, and I seriously regret not keeping the K20d as a second body!!! Don't get me wrong, the K5 delivers much better quality in every way. But I've come to the conclusion that a second body is really very handy.

So now I'm searching for a cheap low-end, well-used Pentax body. Like IST or a K100d or something. Just to convert to IR.
07-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I got a k20 with kit lens for 505 from woot last year.

So, 450 or so for lightly used k20 with lens and spare battery seems fair.

I handled a k5 recently at B&H. the screen, menus, and all the rest just made it seem like a big upgrade from the k20d. really fast autofocus, really quiet autofocus, felt even better in my hands that k20d.

I love the k20d, but after having the k5 in my hands for a brief moment all I can say is "WANT!"