Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get yourself a Sigma lens with OS......compare it with the Pentax SR...I have. The OS might, and I did say might, be a stop better...or it could be just chance difference, but the SR is definitely effective. If you are the type that shake like a little Chihuahua that is in the jaws of a Grizzly Bear, I can't guarantee it will work for you....but otherwise it is a marvel.

1/8 @ 310mm K10D

1/20 @ 500mm

1/25 @ 420mm

How many could I post below 1/30........many hundreds! Thanks SR!

Regards!

Edit: Let me add something here that I have noticed...since I got my K5 I have very few low speed shots where I could demonstrate SR. Although still very useful and kept on, the K5 will give you speed even in lower light...speed you could never get before.The high ISO advantage is terrific to gain the speed that stops blur from shake or subject movement. In most cases once you get to1/125 and have SR on,you are "home free". Gotta love it!

A dark cloudy day, shot the rough my office window, and I set for that magic number 1/125 using Tav...a wonderful setting ......
1/125 @ 500mm K5 + Bigma ISO 12,800
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rupert; 08-01-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add
08-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #32

Those are sharp for the shutter speeds you used.. The second one is not propely focussed (the focus is on the branch). I think the third one has the same.. The fourth is heavlily cropped. They look OK to me, but not perfect. A tripod or monopod is always better with long tele.. Especially when you need to MF, because the subject is too small for the AF.
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SR is effective

This was taken with my K5 and a Sigma 135-400 APO 1/500sec f8 hand held.
Attached Images

08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #34
Pentaxian

My opinion on SR is that it gets you from a tripod to a monopod... expecting tripod results from a hand held shot because of SR is just a fantasy. The issue is even more clouded by the fact that back in the old days of one ISO and no SR when I was shooting film.. I occasionally got a nice crisp hand held shot at 1/15 of a second and counted on getting them at 1/30 second. I don't have a reliably steady hand, but sometimes I amaze myself. I have however been suitably impressed with SR using a monopod. If you can reduce your motion to one plane, which I think a monopod does, then it is much more effective.

08-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Speed is all important, if you can get speed SR becomes less a factor.
1/500 @ 500mm Hand held, as always.

As for tripods, if I had to use a tripod I would quit this and take up golf, where I could do just as bad as I do at photography, and still get to lug around a bunch of equipment. Cumbersome, in the way, inconvenient, a pain to set up and take down......I have nice tripod, and it is best used for gathering dust.
Regards!
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Speed is all important, if you can get speed SR becomes less a factor.
1/500 @ 500mm Hand held, as always.

As for tripods, if I had to use a tripod I would quit this and take up golf, where I could do just as bad as I do at photography, and still get to lug around a bunch of equipment. Cumbersome, in the way, inconvenient, a pain to set up and take down......I have nice tripod, and it is best used for gathering dust.
Regards!
Wow, beautiful shot of some kind of vulture, i'm guessing.

I screwed up this morning, up at 5:30 to get this landscape shot, shot it with a tripod with a speed of up to 1/2 sec. It was a calm morning, but i got home and found major portions of branches and brush that were moving due to some wind that i wasn't aware of. With the K5, i could have just as easily moved up to a faster speed and not paid any penalty in IQ. Old habits are hard to break.

I still like to use the tripod occasionally because it locks in a perspective and framing. But for wildlife, people, and birds, i can see the value in leaving the tripod behind.
08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #37
Veteran Member

It's a Black Vulture, sometimes seen in northern parts of Texas ans beyond, but most common in south Texas and Mexico....sometimes called a Mexican Vulture. They can be predatory and will attack young animals if hungry enough or the opportunity arises.

Tripods are wonderful tools for certain situations, and I keep one for such use, but honestly, the K5 will eliminate most need for me to think tripod. I like to travel light,and I like zooms. A good zoom and a fast camera can get a lot of shots otherwise missed. Of course, it all depends on what your goal happens to be.
Although not light or small, the K5 and Bigma is my favorite combination for wildlife. For general walkabout, the 18-250 or my 28-70 Tokina 2.8 AF ATX are good choices. The 50-135 is hard to beat for IQ, but the SDM is not dependable and MF is not the best for my walkabout adventures.

So many choices! We're pretty lucky to have them, and the K5 offers more options than ever before with its faster AF and superb high ISO values.
Best Regards!