Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #1

Setting centre focus point in green mode

I am having problems setting a centre focus point in green mode on my K-5.
Sometimes the centre focus indicates (red square) and other times a point below my centrepoint lights up... not where I want focus. Efforts to centre the point from the book using the 4 way controller don't seem to functioning. What is the process here? How can I get a centre focus point in green mode... or is it not available in green mode? Am using the Sigma 70-300 APO lens.
One more thing - what is the flashing red light on the rear of camera next to green button? Appreciate any feedback from you expert K-5 guys.... bit of a newbie with this fab little machine. Step up from the K20 aint it!
Thanks. Nogster

07-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you cannot set the focus point in green mode.

Move the mode selection dial to 'P'.

Flashing red light is the IR sensor. You have the camera set to respond to an infra red remote control. (this may be part of the green mode, dunno, I never use green mode)

Last edited by wizofoz; 07-27-2011 at 07:35 AM.
07-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a switch around the AF button which should be moved away from the green position to the last setting, which will force the center focus point (although I'm not sure whether or not green mode overrides this).

The flashing red light means that you have your camera in the IR remote mode. You can change this to single-frame mode by pressing the drive mode button a few times.
07-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys... very quick response. Fixed the Infra remote... dont know how that got changed. Re green mode - there is NO centre focus option in that mode... is that right?
If so, then that means K-5 opts for the auto everything approach in green mode? (A bit different from the K20 then). BTW, I got a pretty good deal from T-Dimension In Hong Kong with K-5. Very competitive with amazingly attentive & fast service. To my door in remote part of Oz in 5 days. Has 38 serial prefix and doesn't look like the sensor issue is a problem thus far. Nogster.

07-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hmmm my last post didnt show. Anyway; so that means that green mode is 'everything auto' including the focus options - is that right? Bit different to the K20 approach then.
BTW, I got a very competitive deal on the K-5 from T-Dimension out of HK. Excellent service and only 5 days to my door at my relatively remote address. Unit had 38 prefix serial and no stains as far as I can tell. Nogster
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Green mode is 'point n shoot' mode - auto everything, including focus point selection. To begin to take control of your camera, you need to move past green mode to one of the other exposure mode iterations. Green mode is 'hand it to the Missus/stranger/uncle Fred for a snapshot' mode.
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
P is a lot better than Green as you can make exposure compensation adjustments, and go to Av or Tv if desired (and accidentally) just by turning the appropriate wheel. Get back to P by pressing the green button. You can also set the program line for P to be biased toward high speed, depth of focus, (or the lens sweet spot for most Pentax lenses)..

07-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've ordered my K5 off T-Dimension as well on Tuesday morning. But I've no idea if they've shipped it or not yet, the site still says processing :/

Edited to add: Should be here Monday

Last edited by NicoleAu; 07-27-2011 at 07:52 PM.
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Inactive Account

may I suggest you stop using green mode?? A machine so wonderful as the K-5 deserves never to be used green mode

--even when I hand it to my husband I can still set the settings and tell him just to focus and shoot. --but he never has it more than a few seconds. (well, thats talking about my kx, now that I have the k5 I see no reason for him ever to touch it, LMAO)
07-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
I aint no wimpy Green Mode shooter....!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually dont use green mode that often, but its handy for quick stuff when one needs to nail something ala point & shoot. You know, instant mode for streakers, UFO's... and when Tony Abbott says something relevant and truthful. (Oz political joke!)

I use manual everything most of the time, including focus. After 30 years with a Spotmatic II, I like to fool myself I'm smarter than a camera! I was just setting up the K-5 for my parameters. It's definitely a different setup to my old K20... but once one gets a handle on it, it becomes obvious that the menu (and the camera) are way more sophisticated in most regards. Pentax have pretty much turned Green mode in a P&S mode... which is fine. I was just having some minor hiccups sorting it all out. I agree that a machine like the K-5 definitely needs other modes to get the best out of it - no argument there. Hands down - it's a beautiful piece of kit. Very very impressive. I have noticed that my old primes work WAY better too (thank God) with none of the focus issue that plagued me with the K10 and the K20. And that shutter sound... does 'sensually precise' cover it?

To the lady who also bought from T-Dimension: They kept me well informed and I would definitely buy from there again. Excellent, very fast service. No nasty import/entry surprises either. Hope you travel similarly. You're going to really, really like the camera. Nogster
07-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A man after my own Heart Nogster, well said.

QuoteOriginally posted by NogBoy13 Quote
and when Tony Abbott says something relevant and truthful. (Oz political joke!)
In that case you will NEVER have to use green mode. He has never been relevant or truthful. The bastard child of JW Howard and Bronnie (Beehive) Bishop. Poor bugger.What hope did he have of ever being any more than an aberration and a blip on the political landscape?

The best thing for him to do is to back quietly away before he becomes even more of a parody of himself and an even bigger embarrassment. But then again, good sense was never his strong suit, was it? (I wonder if 'common sense' is too long a phrase to fit into one of his captions...er I mean policies.)

sorry for the Off topic remarks

This station will now resume regular programming

Last edited by wizofoz; 08-09-2011 at 06:14 AM.
07-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
...aha Wizofoz... a fellow traveller I see. Very reassuring indeed. Lets face it... even Green mode
would be overkill. A dropped Holga perhaps...? We need to remember 'Green is Good'.
May the K force be with you. Nogster
07-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NogBoy13 Quote
I have noticed that my old primes work WAY better too (thank God) with none of the focus issue that plagued me with the K10 and the K20. And that shutter sound... does 'sensually precise' cover it?
^^yes yes and more yes. I am switching from Kx and my primes work better for sure and the shutter sound is... peaceful. lol. love it