Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Service @ C.R Kennedy

I've been having issues with my K-5 and lenses (DA40, 50-135 & 18-55), most likely front/back focusing. Anyway, I rang my service centre (C.K Kennedy in Melbourne) and had a quick chat with the guy about my issues and thought they may need to calibrated, he said not to bring the lenses and just the body as that's where the issue probably would be.

I mentioned that the DA40 was the worse affected and I'm getting better results with the 50-135 but he said not to bring the lenses as some lenses can't be calibrated...is this true? I'd think that modern lenses would be capable of calibration.

Anyway, any thoughts or help is much appreciated.

07-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My car won't start...so just bring in the engine? I guess in today's world it makes perfect sense........to someone?
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K-m was messed after serviced and AF was all wrong with my array of primes while they were okay before. The degree of error varied wildly. I was able to bring all of them AF perfectly again by merely adjusting the actual AF sensor underneath the mirror box and then fine tuning it in debug mode. So what the tech told you makes sense to me.
07-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my experience with CR kennedy is that they are fair and I have had a number of items replaced. When I once questioned their response, when I thought about it they were right, I did break it

Hope you get a good outcome

07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll take the body in on Monday, see how it goes. Cheers.
07-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I'll take the body in on Monday, see how it goes. Cheers.
Why don't you take your lenses regardless? That way, you can test your camera right after they adjust it.

Abhi
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Can someone explain how they would calibrate a lens...without the lens! When I get my eyes checked, it is mandatory that I bring my eyes with me....never been asked to just bring my body and leave my eyes at home?
Maybe I am missing something...if so, what is it?
Regards!

07-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Can someone explain how they would calibrate a lens...without the lens! When I get my eyes checked, it is mandatory that I bring my eyes with me....never been asked to just bring my body and leave my eyes at home?
Regards!
Have you considered the root problem might be the AF sensor and/or the mirror(s) out of alignment?
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regards!
Rupert,
Knowing that most lenses come pretty well calibrated when they leave the lens manufacturer (there are some exceptions of course) the camera repair man assumes correctly that the fault is to be found with the camera. All the camera repair person has to do now is to attach a known perfectly calibrated lens and works back from there. If there are discrepancies it will have to be the camera. If not it is the lens. If both lens and camera are faulty, where do you start to adjust, therefore it is better to start without the complainants lens(es).

I like your "eye" checkup scenario, but wait there is another example to be considered here. What about people with false teeth? The can send in their dentures in a postal Jiffy bag for a checkup and service without sending in their mouths as well.

Greetings
07-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks! That's why I asked, now I know!
BTW- I have near perfect teeth...and they are all mine!

Best Regards!
07-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! That's why I asked, now I know!
BTW- I have near perfect teeth...and they are all mine!

Best Regards!
Me too!
07-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Why don't you take your lenses regardless? That way, you can test your camera right after they adjust it.
They said it will take 5~6 working days so I'll take the lenses when I pick it up, that way I can hit the streets, take a few test shots and I'm close by if I still think there's a problem.
07-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks wlachan & Schraubstock, I didn't think about the AF sensor or mirror. Hopefully that's the cause of the problem and all can be cleared up. I'll report back next week some time.

Cheers.
08-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got my K-5 back today, the cam & da40 have been calibrated. I took a few snaps outside and they looked much better. they said to take it home, play some more and come back if I have any other issues with other lenses.
09-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
iht
Veteran Member

I sent in my FA* zoom (80-200) for repair - I got the following email from C R Kennedy 3 weeks after the lens arrived in Melbourne:

QuoteQuote:
Dear Customer,

Pentax in Japan has just contacted me to say that they no longer have parts to fix the lens.
Would you like me to return the lenses or would you like me to send them to japan?
Kind regards,

Wenji Lim
Repair and Service Manager
Photographic
Has any of you sent in FA* lenses to them recently (within the last year or two)? I wonder if it helps to send it to Japan, and how long it would take.

Any advice would be nice Thanks.