Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is Pentax DCU 4.33 a dog or what?

I'm trying to use Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4.33 and it is SLOOOWWW on my Mac Mini 2.0ghz core 2 with 4GB ram.

Does DCU4 prefer windows?

My mini runs PS CS5 no problem with really big files with multiple layers...

Or to put it another way: is anyone running Pentax DCU and thinks it's fast? And if so, what are you running it on?

I really want to use it as a browser and raw utility, but it's so slow it's unusable.

Last edited by Qwntm; 07-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PDCU was developed for PC (I believe). A number of Mac users prefer Aperture.
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I'm trying to use Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4.33 and it is SLOOOWWW on my Mac Mini 2.0ghz core 2 with 4GB ram.

Or to put it another way: is anyone running Pentax DCU and thinks it's fast? And if so, what are you running it on?

I really want to use it as a browser and raw utility, but it's so slow it's unusable.
I use it for file handling, not processing. It is "OK" for those purposes (deleting, renaming, creating exif database) on a quad-core W7 machine. I only upgraded to 4.33 last night and have not had a chance to see if it handles large numbers of files better (the reason I upgraded).
07-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Aww, don't be so harsh on PDCU v4.33. It's actually quite good software now, as a RAW processor, thanks to the continous improvements made to it over the last few years.

It runs acceptably fast on my photo PC - a Core2Quad with 4GB + Win7 64. In fact it's about as fast, if not faster, than Lightroom or DxO.

The usual tuning tips apply to it as to any memory and CPU intensive programs.

07-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I ran a test:

I uploaded about 110 raw files to my 3 year old Acer dual core running windoze Vister.

The Pentax program runs great and is totally usable.

It really sucks on a mac.

Oh well, I guess it's time to try a windoze 7 laptop.
07-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
PDCU was developed for PC (I believe). A number of Mac users prefer Aperture.
I hate aperture.

I've used Nikon View/capture NX, Canon Dpp and image browser and PS CS5 for PP.

I still use CS5 for PP, but I want to use the Pentax program like i used the DPP and view.
07-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

To call it a dog, is an insult to the dog. It's been crap since day one (well, day one for me with the k10d). I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit on a quad core processor laptop. The software still sux.

Look into Fastone image viewer as a browser if your current one is unacceptable.

07-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
To call it a dog, is an insult to the dog. It's been crap since day one (well, day one for me with the k10d). I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit on a quad core processor laptop. The software still sux.

Look into Fastone image viewer as a browser if your current one is unacceptable.

Hi
If you really want speed use "Bibble Pro" it runs the pants off a Kangaroo.
(In Win7, I don't have Mac, so cant tell) Of all RAW converters Bibble is probably the fastest. (Free trials available) Of all the RAW programs DXO is probably the slowest, its like walking through frozen molasses.

Greetings
07-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Personally I'm happy with PS CS5.. It gets bogged down when I'm doing a 20 shot pano but otherwise, it runs just fine.

07-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The software still sux.
I would have agreed with you circa 2009, but now PDCU is actually very competent. It is capable of some great image output, now including very decent noise reduction.

While the PDCU interface still has it's quirks, anyone familiar with Lightroom or DxO - let alone C1 - will have little trouble working with PDCU.
07-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

To Each... I won't and do not (specifically) tell anyone not to use it. I'm stating my overall opinion of the Pentax software. The Pentax camera utility basically mimics what the camera does. If price is an issue or one does not have the desire to learn a more complex package, then I suppose the Pentax software is workable. I've never had an installation of it however where it didn't constantly crash. If it were my only option, I would just let the camera create the JPGs and be done with it which, a lot of people also do.

With CS5 ACR, I can load 40-50 PEF files, make my fixes, crops, etc and let it generate my JPGs. If the fixes are all the same (WB for instance) I can correct it in a batch operation and only physically make the correction with one photo and let it apply to everything else selected at the time. Then with the same package I can put my frames on, copyright, filters, whatever I choose to do.

07-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Did you updgrade to LION probably that's the problem.
07-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Runs fine on my IMac with 2.4gb core 2 Duo and 4gb ram.
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Runs fine on my IMac with 2.4gb core 2 Duo and 4gb ram.
Is there that much of a difference between what your running and a Mini with a 2.0gb Duo and 4GB?

Maybe I've got a clog somewhere? I bet that magic jack screwed it up....
07-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
get light room