Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Switching to K5, the first impressions.

Hi all. The K5 came yesterday and I am now trying it out and have taken 268 pics with it. So far I updated the Firmware to 1.11(it came with the one before 1.03), and have found the sensor clean. The high iso performance is just breathtaking on this camera, fully the equal or better of the Nikon D3x. And I used the 51,000 iso setting in B&W and it works great and has a look of tri-x when PP in Aperture 3. I tried low light focussing with daylight, regular light bulbs, and fluorescent lighting and while not always perfect, most shots were in focus, and I think I was pressing the limits of the AF. It was dark enough that I could not see the brackets on the focussing screen. I am mazed by the liveview focussing speed, much faster than on the K7 and miles ahead of the D3X. The regular AF is a bit faster than the 51 area D3X focussing system, but a bit less versatile than the Nikons because of the lower area count(but still very good). Now the D7000 AF I have not used, and is newer by 3 years to the D3X so no comment there. No problems of any kind, and lots of noticeable improvements to the K7. Even though the D3X has 50% more MP than the K5, it is a lot easier to move around the Pentax and lenses as Karen and I can now share them. BTW, Karen uses the 18-135 WR and has DXO to do the post of her raw images. At f11 and 135mm, only the extreme edges are truly a bit softer than the center on those images, and the 100mm setting is even better. I think it will be a good trade off for me: lesser MP for lots lees size and weight.

David

07-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the account David, and providing some insight with the D3X. I'm surprised to hear that AF is considered faster on the K-5 to that of the D3X. Nevertheless, I'm certain the K-5 will give you years of good service in your line of work.
07-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The AF speed is just my impression, but I have used that camera for 2 years, so I think I am being fair in my assessment.

David
07-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sounds like it may fill your needs well, which is what we all seek. I hope you will post some shots for us soon.

I have followed your posts and felt you would be impressed by the K5. You may have read where I have a friend in Dallas, a Pro shooter that has a D3x and two D700's, but bought a K5 for its small size to go on a European vacation this Spring. He came back raving about the K5 and how it performed for him.....which was very good,since I had pushed him toward the K5.

He will not change his Studio cameras...he has a lot of fine Nikon gear, but he said that if he had to shoot there with the K5 he most certainly could without hesitation for most of what he does. Vacations and day trips, walkabouts, family outings etc......he's a K5 man!

Best Regards!

07-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Hi David,
put that D3x in a box and send it to me.
Have fun, Ron.
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm sure your wife's K-7 gave you a good idea about the ergonomics, usability and field of view of the K-5, but it is great to hear that you are having a good time with the K-5.

If you're ever in a situation of large dynamic range where traditional photography experience would tell you to expose for the darker areas (if that's where the subject is) and let the highlights blow out, try exposing for the brighter areas at ISO 80 and then push the fill light in PP. It's like magic.
07-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Sounds like it may fill your needs well, which is what we all seek. I hope you will post some shots for us soon.

I have followed your posts and felt you would be impressed by the K5. You may have read where I have a friend in Dallas, a Pro shooter that has a D3x and two D700's, but bought a K5 for its small size to go on a European vacation this Spring. He came back raving about the K5 and how it performed for him.....which was very good,since I had pushed him toward the K5.

He will not change his Studio cameras...he has a lot of fine Nikon gear, but he said that if he had to shoot there with the K5 he most certainly could without hesitation for most of what he does. Vacations and day trips, walkabouts, family outings etc......he's a K5 man!

Best Regards!
Your friend is not alone. There are more than a few FF Nikon and Canon guys who are getting K-5s for all of the reasons you described and are loving it. The fact is, FF does not have as big an IQ advantage as it once did, but it still has a size and weight disadvantage.

Rob

07-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concur with the advice to ETTL rather than ETTR to protect highlights with the K-5. You can push the shadows to a remarkable degree with the K-5 raw files.
07-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ettm

The K-5 can be effectively used to expose to the midline too.
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I tend to expose to the left (EV comp -1) almost exclusively these days. There is a LOT of detail in those shadows that can nicely be brought out with some processing, fill light, etc.

07-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #11

AF-speed depends on the lens, but it is definitely accurate!
07-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I tend to expose to the left (EV comp -1) almost exclusively these days. There is a LOT of detail in those shadows that can nicely be brought out with some processing, fill light, etc.

I have always ETTL, since I detest blown highlights....the difference in the past and the present is that ETTL with the K5 is very effective, since pulling up shadows is a snap.
Regards!
07-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Forum Member

My first walkaround with the K5, I had almost shoot everyshot EV-1 and below.

I find this gives better black , colors and details.

Somehow I find EV 0 a little over exposed.
07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I find the K-5 sometimes underexposes slightly (say 1/3 EV), and more with my Sigma 10-20 attached.

Anyway I've tried ETTR, based on advice some colleagues gave me. Didn't like it much though. Too problematic too often.

Good to hear you like the K-5. Didn't think its AF would be faster than a Nikon's though. But then I would think it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges, since the AF modes are not the same.
07-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have found that with the Nikon D3X, it's autofocus is evry accurate, but not the fastest. The K5 to me is just a smidge faster on non-moving subjects...have not tried birds, planes, etc.