Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My solution.....find the area of best focus in a shot...Yep! that's exactly where I focused!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

08-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #17

Try live view contrast focus and compare. Sometime I have problem focusing to the dark area like the eyes and switch to the LV focus. It is much better.
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Inactive Account

It's entirely possible you have to adjust for back focus a little bit on the lens. It isn't unheard of and is probably the easiest thing to check. Your daughter may get a little annoyed at it though. Try with a different lens and see if it gives you the same type of results. If all your lenses do it, then a global adjustment may do the trick. The camera should be focusing without resorting to live view (which uses a different focus method) or screwing around with a tripod.

Pentax FA77mm Ltd - a set on Flickr

Some of these have had a little help from post processing (and it should be obvious which ones).

08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Nicole, I notice that there is harsh backlight to the left of your subject. That is always a challenge for most AF systems. As others advised please try out the camera in other circumstances to see if the camera is consistently off.

08-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I tested out the 50mm with it and focus is fine with that, I'll see if I can try the 77mm tomorrow. But I did notice some fine lines at the higher ISO in the shadowed areas. Is that normal as well?
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
Ok I tested out the 50mm with it and focus is fine with that, I'll see if I can try the 77mm tomorrow. But I did notice some fine lines at the higher ISO in the shadowed areas. Is that normal as well?
Can you show some samples? What ISO? What kind of noise reduction are you using? As with the other high ISO cameras, it's usable but lower is always better if you can get the shot with it.

08-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Nicole, I'd also suspect that the AF region you used included the flower and hence the flower dominated the camera's search for focus.

If the problem persists with less challenging shots, making sure that there are no competing focus targets nearby, you could check the FA 77 for FF/BF.

You may find these AF adjustment hints useful. Let me know if you need further information. You could just follow one of the links to a focus chart and you'll then get step by step instructions.

N.B. where did you end up getting your K-5 from? Might be a source for me as well.

08-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up using noise reduction and that got rid of a lot of the banding, it was purple and green lines in the shadowed areas. Not hugely noticeable I guess, but I'm a pretty harsh critic of my own stuff. I took more photos today of the 77, got more photos in the correct focal points, so I guess I must've been a bit off, I also though, didn't rely exactly on the focal points. Just used it more as a guide.

Class A, I got it from T-Dimension.com. They were pretty good, ordered Tuesday, got it Monday. It was $1,094 inc spare battery, small bag, card reader, cloth and LCD protector I think. Around $40 for shipping as well.
08-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
It was $1,094 inc spare battery, small bag, card reader, cloth and LCD protector I think. Around $40 for shipping as well.
Thanks!
08-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Before thinking you have a problem with the camera, it's always worth being 100% sure of your actions. The tools get blamed a lot on the internet.

Did you or your subject move slightly?
Did you recompose the shot slightly after focusing?
Does it happen again repeatedly? or was this a one off?
What was your aperture and distance from the subject? How short was the hyper focal distance - was it even realistic to get the eye in focus hand held?
Does it mis-focus when on a tripod? or only when hand held?
Were you in AF-S or AF-C mode?

Anyway, the actual photo appears nice and sharp enough to me at this size, although maybe you can see a problem when blown up full size.
You can easily see the photo is backfocussed at the size the image is posted