Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Good question (scratch head). The short answer is not that I have figured out. There is an indication on the unit that it is working. There is a indication on the camera that it is getting 3D data (but that seems to come as soon as it sees 4 or more satellites usual in about 30 seconds so that doesn’t mean it sees any augmentation data). In the EXIF data it will say the number of satellites and if it is actively tracking but I haven't been able to determent any way to see it has the WAAS data. I only assume it has gotten the data because the drunk walk seems to get very small from what it looked like in the first minutes of when I firsts turned it on and the accuracy seems to be very good when I can compare it to some known landmark but this is all after the fact when I go back and look at the photos.

What I do is turn the unit on and leave it on as much before I want to take photos as I can and hope it has the data. Out in the open with a good look at a WAAS satellite it should get the data relativity soon. This would be something for Pentax to add in a bios update.

DAZ
This will make life very interesting, given my habit of wandering around on the rain forest floor with a macro lens looking for interesting things,
but then it may not be as big a conflict as I think because the macro stuff usually needs a ringlight to come out and until the conflict between
using a flash and using the GPS unit is resolved.......

I should hope that future camera models support a solution for using BOTH a flash and a GPS.

One could surmise that there is a protocol buried in the communications that allows support for both in future hardware. Notably the phantom 5th pin is supported on all the P-ttl accessories, but appears to be a blank hole in the camera bodies (left front). I assume it is reserved for something---perhaps undefined---- which could be requisitioned if needed to sort out and coordinate the use of multiple accessories attached to the shoe.

It would be something to add to the 'wish' list for a subsequent model camera-----though would would expect that future high end models would integrate the GPS into the body, leaving the hang on attachments for the lower end models. After all I can remember when light meters were 'hang on attachments..... but it makes sense to hang them on first, at least until they get the bugs out.

10-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #47
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even without WAAS data it will still give good GPS info just maybe not as good. WAAS data usually doesn't change much during the day unless there is a sun event or a space vehicle gets sick. So if you get it first thing you should be good for some time (all day?).

This weekend if I have time I plan on trying both flash and GPS.

DAZ
10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Even without WAAS data it will still give good GPS info just maybe not as good. WAAS data usually doesn't change much during the day unless there is a sun event or a space vehicle gets sick. So if you get it first thing you should be good for some time (all day?).

This weekend if I have time I plan on trying both flash and GPS.

DAZ
If you get them both plugged in the hot shoe---take a picture of it, so I can try it.

The shaded 'caution' on the right hand side of page 3 of the english instructions says:

The GPS unit and a flash cannot be used at the same time. When using this GPS untion, always attach it to the camera.