Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Manual AF Assist

Can you turn on the AF assist lamp manually so you can use it to illuminate objects when shooting with a manual lens?

08-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
#BUMP - 66 views and no replies! C'mon people!
08-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am guessing that you have the K5, so I went to your bodies user manual on line...
Then I clicked on the binoculars symbol (search over in the left hand vertical) and put in the term "AF assist light" - without the "s
  • That brought up 15 instances of the term through out the manual.
  • If you click twice on one of the results, it will go to the page and highlight the first instance of the phrase found.
  • It appears that on page 74 & 123 the light comes on as needed in dark or back-lit situations.

08-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
I had already checked the manual. I was hoping that perhaps their was a way that was not directly covered by it that some K-5 user had worked out. Hopeful thinking maybe.

No I don't have the K-5 yet (getting it very soon). I need to know if manual focus will be an issue with a lens I want to purchase.

08-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rainwilds Quote
I had already checked the manual. I was hoping that perhaps their was a way that was not directly covered by it that some K-5 user had worked out. Hopeful thinking maybe.

No I don't have the K-5 yet (getting it very soon). I need to know if manual focus will be an issue with a lens I want to purchase.
Not sure what you mean by manual focus being an issue. You can get a split lens focusing screen for the camera. You can also use a flashlight to highlight the area you want to focus on. that just about means that you need to have the camera in a tripod as otherwise you will run out of hands, i'm thinking.
08-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah that's what I've been thinking... getting a KatzEye; or another arm!
08-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

LiveView and QuickZoom work wonders.... especially in low-light... just open the lens up as much as possible - DoF is only going to get deeper as you close it up anyway...

I'm lead to believe that the K-5 also has a much brighter 'matte' focus screen, and its 100% crop - so its actually pretty good compared to the VF on the K10/K20...

08-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
LiveView and QuickZoom work wonders.... especially in low-light... just open the lens up as much as possible - DoF is only going to get deeper as you close it up anyway...

I'm lead to believe that the K-5 also has a much brighter 'matte' focus screen, and its 100% crop - so its actually pretty good compared to the VF on the K10/K20...
I'm going to try the K-5 with the manual lens first and see how it goes. Might not need the Katz.
08-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Unless your scene is absolutely dark with No contrast, Catch In Focus is your friend. Your Next best friend with manual lenses (a tripod makes it friendlier) is Live View. If both of those fail you, then get a screen. With the K10/20 I had a Katzeye installed. With the K7 and now the K5, I feel no need for it and my eyesight has not improved over the years.

I would suggest using the camera before buying a bunch of expensive stuff that you may not need (I almost made the same mistake).

08-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Unless your scene is absolutely dark with No contrast, Catch In Focus is your friend. Your Next best friend with manual lenses (a tripod makes it friendlier) is Live View. If both of those fail you, then get a screen. With the K10/20 I had a Katzeye installed. With the K7 and now the K5, I feel no need for it and my eyesight has not improved over the years.

I would suggest using the camera before buying a bunch of expensive stuff that you may not need (I almost made the same mistake).

Great response. Thanks.
08-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Great response. Thanks.
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no way to turn on the AF focus light manually - it basically turns on as the camera sees fit. There is an option however to turn it off completely (in Menu options).

If you really want this, what you probably want is a hot-shoe mounted LED light that you can turn on and off as needed. B&H has these, so do many other online vendors. If you still want to use a hotshoe mounted flash, then you can always get a small bracket to mount it on the side.
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I use a very bright small LED flashlight when using my 645 120Macro on my K20D or K5 since you can't stop down without losing all the light in full manual like it is with the 645 lenses on the K bodies.

Works great for Macro, and you can make a mount that will mount it on the tripod mount with ease. Might work for what you want? I have not found the assist lamp to be very predictable on the K5, however, I do very little severe low light shooting.
Best Regards!
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Good idea regarding the LED hot shoe light. Might help me find my keys too!
08-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd like a third option in the present button customization AF button -

The option would be to have the assist light turn on with the AF function for the AF button. Or not.

I'm thinking of getting one of these fluorescent arm or legbands that runners or bicyclists use. with the idea of strapping it on my tripod at night. I was out doing some painting with a flash and had a difficult time finding my tripod when i returned from the subject - black on black on a moonless night . off topic - sorry.