Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

K5 and night Photography Problem

hi guys,

every time i try to photograph night scenes i runt in to this problem which is that when iso is on auto and when i am either in Av or Tv isp always jumps 3200 and such things as light bulbs (self illuminating objects) are way over exposed.plus when i use my sigma 50mm 1.4 on Tv and sets it aperture to 1.4 iso still jumps to 3200 and and virtually makes my night photo into an evening photo. and idea how to manage this

thanks

08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What effect are you trying to achieve?

Why use auto iso? Why are you using Av of 1.4 if you dont want the scene to look so bright?
Why not use a fixed iso 100 and a tripod? Then change settings of either the aperture or shutter speed to get the effect you want?

If you want to use auto iso, you can change the parameters for auto iso so that it is say between 100-400 or whatever...

Btw, If you are a beginner, read 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

As psychdoc indicated, what are you trying to achieve ? Are you shoting the stars and mon, or are you shooting people in the street?

The best way to correct your over ISO exposure is to set/force manually the ISO:
- push the ISO button (top right) while you move the rear wheel.

You will see in the top screen that the ISO is no longer Auto and the value of ISO will be shwon in the viewfinder and the top LCD.

To go back to Auto ISO, presse the ISO button and the green button together.

Hope that the comment will help.
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Or if you are generally getting shots that are too bright for your taste, you can press the +/- button and underexpose your shots by an EV or so to compensate. This is more of tricking the metering system to your liking.

But as the above posters mentioned, its better to shoot knowing what settings gets you best. Most of the time I prefer Manual Settings when it comes to night, especially when scenes differ in lighting and you probably have a better gauge than your sensor

08-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

If you want the dark is bright, and the light is not too bright, you may take HDR photos.
08-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Manual exposure and a tripod is the way to go. Experiment with the exposure setting (f/stop, iso (you can keep it relatively low to avid noise) and shutter speed) until you get the look you want.

In autoexposure mode the camera will attempt to make the image as bright as daylight which probably is not what you want.

In any event, the brightness of some lamps will be so much stronger that the surroundings that they will be overexposed.
08-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that the op is not happy with his K5. Other posts have negative tone and does not resspond to threads.

08-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
hi guys,

every time i try to photograph night scenes i runt in to this problem which is that when iso is on auto and when i am either in Av or Tv isp always jumps 3200 and such things as light bulbs (self illuminating objects) are way over exposed.plus when i use my sigma 50mm 1.4 on Tv and sets it aperture to 1.4 iso still jumps to 3200 and and virtually makes my night photo into an evening photo. and idea how to manage this

thanks
Yes. take the exposure down in post pro, or or set a -1 exposure compensation on the camera
08-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some sample photos displaying the issue would help a lot.
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
thankz guys for the info next time i will try your suggestions out
05-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two things to worry about is what you are metering off of - better to use center weight or spot and make sure you don't meter off the lights, and I used exposure bracketing. Last set of night shots I took I ran from -3 ev to +1 ev in 1ev increments. Best photos were either the -1 or 0 ev compensated ones, but it varied from scene to scene and it was good to see how things like the lights changed from one setting to the next.