Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #1

K5 on Topbuy

Has anyone bought from here?

08-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Searching them on the net doesn't seem to yield too many good things. They do seem to be Australia based, so if you're in the region one of our fellow forum members might have had direct experience with them.

As always, buyer beware.
08-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought a Sigma lens from them once, and a few other small things. They seem OK. Good price, quick delivery. But watch out for their freight rates. Sometimes they are exorbitant. Buying via their eBay store however sometimes sees them offer free freight.

They are just a pass through seller though - all their photo stuff ships out from a Hong Kong drop-shipper. So local warranties (eg in Australia) won't apply.
08-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

You might also get hit with the Customs charge (if in Aus) if you are really unlucky!

08-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a (Canon!!) lens from them and an SD card a couple of months ago. My son is happy with the lens and I am happy with the card. The price was good and the delivery was pretty quick. Customs duty is not a problem (as I understand it) if the value is less than $1000. If it is more than that you would be liable for both customs duty and GST!
I was happy to buy the lens from a grey importer, (as I have done for myself) but I bought my K5 from an authorised reseller, to ensure an Aussie warranty. I bought from DCW - now there is FAST service!.
08-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses. Still deciding what to do, take the risk and save heaps or try and find it at a good price from a store. It's just so expensive in store. What shop is DCW?
08-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by molko Quote
What shop is DCW?
Digital Camera Warehouse:
Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount digital cameras shipped Australia wide - Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.

08-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done business with Topbuy and have never had any problems thus far.
Remembering the purchases I have made have been much smaller than a K5 camera.
I have purchased SD cards, card reader. etc etc..(nothing over $100)
So judge for yourself, but I cannot say anything against them in my experience.

Ithink you will find this price very competitive to DCW prices who are rather expensive. But very reliable.
08-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
Try Photocontinental in Brisbane as they may be able to match the price. You will have to discuss it with them and the procedure as they have to get the approval from CR Kennedys', which would then give you full Australian warranty.
Photocontinental"s phone number is (07) 3849 4422.
Regards.
08-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

Bought K5 from Topbuy australia

QuoteOriginally posted by molko Quote
Has anyone bought from here?
Hi there. I received my K5 from Topbuy.com.au 1 week ago today.. It came with a Pentax 18-55mm lens and I paid extra for 3 years international warranty. I used the camera for the first time on sunday 28.08.2011 and so far she is perfect I did message topbuy because I noticed the image count was 7483...then after reading forums etc, that would have happened because I put a used memory card ( without formatting) into my new camera....followed instructions to reset image count to 0. Two real gripes I have is the battery charger has the australian adapter supplied to be used in our power sockets...and there was no paper user manual...which I prefer, so I can curl up on the lounge and read / try on camera at the same time. I have downloaded the user manual for free from the internet, but would much prefer a hardcopy. So far, all up, I am happy with my purchase from Topbuy.com.au. Forgot to mention, if there is a warranty issue, it does go to a pentax dealer, and the insurance purchased covers all costs.
Hope this helps with your decision.....( I went from K100d to K5, love both cameras!)
08-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Read this before buying from Topbuy:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1138513
[COUNTERFEIT] Pay $2.99 S&H FREE Portable Anti-Bottle BPA Free Enviro Friend from Top Buy - OzBargain Forums