Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green Mode and AF adjustment

I was trying the green mode to send the K-5 with my wife for a trip with my Tamron 17-50. The lens needed -10 AF adjustment, but in green mode this doesnt show up and the focus is way off, why in the world would this be the case ? any way of overcoming this?

08-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I was trying the green mode to send the K-5 with my wife for a trip with my Tamron 17-50. The lens needed -10 AF adjustment, but in green mode this doesnt show up and the focus is way off, why in the world would this be the case ? any way of overcoming this?
Probably because Green Mode makes the camera behave like a cheap point and shoot. It disables most options. Why it cancels the AF adjust settings, I have no idea.

08-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Let her use P-mode.
08-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Let her use P-mode.
I was considering this, but it is not quite the auto mode to be able to use the camera as a point and shoot. She still needs to choose aperture or shutter . The green mode is there to make it a point and shoot and then they take the lens correction away, dang!

I was considering getting a point and shoot, but I think I will just get another lens which doesn't need the AF correction.

08-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Probably because Green Mode makes the camera behave like a cheap point and shoot. It disables most options. Why it cancels the AF adjust settings, I have no idea.

I am trying my hard to make it behave like a cheap point and shoot, but I am surpised why an unseemingly disconnected feature is removed just for the sake of removing it.
08-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Please re-read your K-5 operating manual.
There is no need to choose the shutter speed or aperture in Program mode.
One can however change to Aperture or Shutter Priority with a flick of either one of the e-dials.
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just get her to use P mode and set auto ISO on the camera - you'll find it's essentially a green mode with those settings.

08-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

P mode is dead easy. The only manual bit in P mode compared to Auto is that you have to pop up the flash if you want to use flash for a photo. In auto mode it pops it up automatically.
08-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then you will also have the AF adustment settings honoured by the camera...
08-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No doubt - good advise regarding using P mode instead of Green.

That said, I fail to see the logic behind eliminating a calibration adjustment from any mode. Green mode doesn't magically fix the calibration discrepancy between lens and camera. It's like having my prescription glasses taken away just because I'm using auto-focus mode - watch me trip and fall! ;-)
08-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oK! P mode is pretty much Green, there was some metering difference (?) but I preferred the P mode metering anyways....thanks!
08-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected it to do that, since the AF adjustments are more of a calibration than a manual overriding of automatic mechanisms.
08-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentax assumes (rightly or wrongly) that if you use green mode, you have absolutely no clue what you are doing and therefore disables any feature you could use to screw up your photos. That's why you can't shoot in RAW either in green mode. This obviously is a specific situation where someone knowledgeable has calibrated the camera and lens, but its a technical procedure and I doubt most people who use green mode will truly be OK doing it.
08-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Not the case with K20D

I just checked my camera and AF adjustments work with green mode. I can also shoot RAW. I am surprised that these features are removed in later models. However, I see Rondec's point, Pentax probably does not want users to fiddle when they are using the green mode.
08-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
However, I see Rondec's point, Pentax probably does not want users to fiddle when they are using the green mode.
Still makes no sense. To stick with my analogy of my prescription glasses, would I take them off just because I turn on my car's cruise control? Oy!